30 May 2024

Gott hilf mir, denn das Wasser dringt

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Gott hilf mir, denn das Wasser dringt” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm XLIX, Salvum me fac Deus, with title “Christ’s heavy suffering . . . A psalm of David to precent of the roses” and melody assignment “Aus tiefer Noth schrei ich zu dir.” Luther writes of the psalm,

It is a psalm of supplication in the person of Christ when He spoke in His Passion on the cross, wherein He confessed that He was a sinner in our place (v. 7) and lamented His crucifiers and slanderers who gave Him gall and vinegar to drink in His great thirst (v. 23). Thus clear and straightforwardly He speaks of His coming suffering. Then He prophesies concerning the horrible blinding and hardening of the Jews, and final destruction (v. 24), as this all came to pass, as we see and palpably discern.

Finally, he also announces the new divine service, “I will praise God” (he says, v. 32) “and highly honor Him with thanksgiving.” This divine service is to replace the old one, for it pleases God beetter than all the bulls and the best that could be offered then, as he sings here.


 

GOD, save me! for unto my soul
The waters are expanding!
In mire I sink beyond control,
There is no place for standing:
Great torrents gather forcefully
And will entirely cover me
The floods will overflow me.

2 I’ve cried myself to weariness,
My throat is dried and parchèd,
My vision fails in my distress,
So long my eyes have searchèd,
And looked for God to come with speed.
I wait for Him in time of need,
Oh God, how long? I ask Thee!

3 More than the hairs upon my head
Are they that deeply hate me
Without a cause I’ve merited,
They ceaselessly berate me
And to destroy me wage their war,
With force, so that I must restore
What I had never stolen.

4 To Thee the folly is well known
Which on myself I’ve taken,
Thou know’st the sins that make me groan,
O Lord, let mercy waken!
Lord God of hosts, let proof abound
That Thou wilt nothing let confound
Those who Thy grace are waiting.

5 Lord, let no heart that seeks for Thee
Be for my sake ashamèd,
For Thee I bear hostility
And as a curse am namèd,
Shame over all my face extends,
I am a stranger to my friends
And to my mother’s children.

6 With zeal I burn most fervently,
Thy house’s glory seeking;
The vile reproaches fall on me
Of those against Thee speaking.
I fast and weep with bitterness,
To pay for sin and make redress,
Nor any thanks have for it.

7 Sackcloth of mis’ry have I worn,
The mock’ry they devisèd;
He that can best put me to scorn
Is as their master prizèd.
When at the gate their hordes recline,
Or in the tavern take their wine,
They sing a song to mock me.

8 I cried in time acceptable
To Thee with supplication:
God, in Thy mercy bountiful
Grant me Thy true salvation!
Hear in my trouble how I weep,
And help me from the mire so deep,
That I may not be drowning!

9 Lord, from my foes, who hate my soul,
From waters deep deliver!
Let not the deep consume me whole
But stay the flooding river,
And hold me up, that I may stand,
Nor let the pit beneath expand
To swallow me completely!

10 Thy lovingkindness, Lord, is good,
Therefore I pray Thee, hear me;
According to Thy multitude
Of mercies, Lord, draw near me!
Hide not Thy face from me , I pray,
Thy servant is in great dismay.
Make haste and me deliver!
    
11 Unto my needy soul draw nigh
To still its grievous weeping,
Deliv’rance from its pangs supply
For foes around are creeping;
Thou know’st my shame and my disgrace,
My rivals are before Thy face,
Thou know’st their mischiefs also.

12 Reproach hath made my heart to break,
And heavy-laden made me,
I hope for comfort in my ache,
But find no man to aid me.
They gave me gall instead of food,
And in my thirst a bev’rage crude
Of vinegar they gave me.

13 Their table let become their snare,
Rebuke, and vindication,
And let their eyes be darkened e’er
And blind to all creation;
Their loins make evermore to shake,
Thy jar of wrath upon them break,
And let Thine anger take them!

14 Their tents let all be desolate,
With no man left to share them!
If thou smite men of low estate,
Thy surely shall not spare them;
They boast with talk that never ends,
And claim they are God’s dearest friends,
While suff’ring strikes the lowly.

15 Let them from sin to sin progress
Until they perish yonder;
Let them not find Thy graciousness,
But let it from them wander,
And blot them from the book of life,
And cut them in their errors rife
Off from the saintly number.

16 But I am poor, and deeply grieve;
Lord, help, and upward raise me,
Unto Thy name my thanks I’ll give,
And magnify and praise Thee.
And this shall please Thee better, Lord,
Than beasts with hoofs and blood outpoured
Upon Thine holy altar.

17 This shall the humble people see
And joyfully adore Him,
And they that seek God faithfully—
Their heart shall live before Him,
The Lord doth hear the poor man’s cries,
Nor doth His prisoners despise,
Who heartily have sought Him.

18 Let heav’n and earth in chorus sing
Their praise to God forever,
The seas and every moving thing
Acclaim His grace and favor!
For God will build His city fair
And Judah save, to furnish there
By grace a home for Zion.

19 How bright th’ inheritance obtained
By those in Him confiding,
Who fear Him with a heart unstained,
Who firmly trust His guiding!
His faithful servant’s holy seed,
And all who love His name indeed—
They shall therein be dwelling!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
GOtt hilff mir, denn das Waſſer dringt
Mir biß an meine Seele,
In tieffem Schlamm, ich gar verſinck,
In der grundloſen Höhle,
Die Ström gehn her gewaltiglich
Und wollen gar bedecken mich,
Die Fluth will mich erſäuffen.

2  Ich hab mich müd geſchrien zwar,
Mein Hals iſt mir gantz heiſcher,
Das Gſicht vergeht mir gantz und gar,
So ſehr werd ich gekreiſchet,
Ich ſeh mich umb nach meinem Gott,
Der mir zuſpring in ſolcher Noth,
Ach Gott, wie lang ſols wären?

3  Auff meim Häupt ſind nicht ſo viel Haar,
Als derer, die mich haſſen,
Ohn Ursach unverſchuldet fürwahr,
Sie wollen nicht ablaſſen,
Mit großer Macht sie mich anfalln,
Mich zu verderbn, ich muß bezaln,
Was ich nicht hab geraubet.

4  Dir ist die Thorheit wohl bekannt,
Die ich auff mich geladen,
Du weiſt mein Schulden alleſampt,
Ach HErr erzeig mir Gnade,
Beweis an mir HErr Zebaoth,
Daß du nicht leſt werden zu Spott,
Die deiner Gnade warten.

5  An mir nicht ſchamrot werden laß,
Die dich von Hertzen ſuchen,
Umb deinetwillen trag ich Haß
Und muß mich lan verfluchen,
Mein Angeſicht iſt voller Schand,
Meinn Freunden bin ich unbekant.
Und meiner Mutter Kindern.

6  Ich eyffer gantz inbrünſtiglich
Umb deines Hauſes Ehre,
Die Schmach der Leſtrer fellt auff mich,
Krenkt mich im Hertzen ſehre,
Ich faſt und weine bitterlich,
Die Sünd zu büſſen mächtiglich,
Kan doch kein Danck verdienen.

7  Den Sack des Elends zog ich an,
Den Spott ſie daraus treiben,
Wer meim am ſehrſten ſpotten kan,
Der wil hie Meiſter bleiben.
Wenn ſie am Tor beiſammen ſeyn,
Odr ſitzen ſonſt beim külen Wein,
Ein Lied ſie von mir ſingen.

8  Ich rieff zur angenehmen Zeit
Zu dir, mein Gott und HErre,
Durch deine groſſe Gütigkeit
Mich trewer Hülff gewere,
Erhöre mich in dieſer Noth,
Und hilff mir aus dem tieffen Koth,
Daß ich nicht drin verſinke.

9  Errett mich von der Haſſer Grimm,
Und aus der Waſſerteuffe.
Daß mich die Tieffe nicht verſchling,
Die Fluth mich nichr erſäuffe,
Halt mich HErr, daß ich feſte ſteh,
Sonſt über mir zuſammengeht
Das Loch der tieffen Gruben.

10  Tröſtlich iſt deine Gütigkeit,
Drumb wollſtu mich erhören
Durch deine groß Barmherzigkeit
In Gnad dich zu mir kehren,
Verbirg dein Andlitz nicht für mir,
Deim Knecht ist angſt, ich ruff zu dir,
Eil HErr mich zu erretten.
    
11  Mach dich zu meiner armen Seel,
Ihr Kümmernüß zu ſtillen,
Erlöß ſie von der Plag und Quel
Umb meiner Feinde Willen,
Du weiſt Herr meine Schmach und Schand,
Mein Feinde ſind dir allbekant
Und ihre Tück deßgleichen.

12  Mich krenkts, die Schmach bricht mir mein Hertz,
Wart obs jammert jemanden,
Ich hoff auff Troſt in meinem Schmertz,
Da iſt niemand verhanden,
Mit Gallen werd ich abgespeiſt,
Den Eſſig man mich trincken heiſt,
Wenn ich für Durſt verſchmachte.

13  Ihr Tiſch zum Strick ihnn werden muß,
Zur Rach und Straff auff Erden,
Ihr Augen ſchlag mit Finsternus,
Daß sie verblendet werden,
Las ihre Lenden wancken frü,
Dein Zorn und Ungnad geuß auff ſie,
Dein Grimm, HErr, sie ergreiffe.

14  Laß ihre Hütten wüſte ſtahn,
Daß niemand drinnen wohne,
Wenn du ſchlegſt auf ein armen Mann,
Wolln ſie ſein auch nicht ſchonen,
Rühmen ſich denn von Stunden an,
Als weren ſie mit Gott wohl dran,
Weil jene trifft das Leiden.

15  Laß ſie aus einer Sünden ſchwer
Nur fallen in die ander,
Dein Gnad zu ihnen ſich nicht kehr,
Sie muß von ihnen wandern,
Außm Buch des Lebens tilg ſie gar,
Daß ſie mit der gerechten Schar
Nicht angeſchrieben werden.

16  Ich bin elend, und mir iſt angſt,
Dein Hülff, HErr, rett mein Leben,
Ich wil deim Namen ſagen Danck,
Lob, Ehr und Preiß ihm geben,
Das wird dir baß gefallen zwar,
Als wenn ich brecht zu deim Altar
Ein Farren groſſ mit Klawen.

17  Wenn ſolchs der Elend ſchawet an,
Wird er in Frewden ſchweben,
Die Gott mit Trewen zugethan,
Derr Hertz für ihm wird leben,
Der HErr erhört des Armen Bitt,
Verachtet ſeine Gfangnen nit,
Die ihn von Hertzen ſuchen.

18  Es lobe Gott mit groſſem Schall
Der Himmel und die Erden,
Was lebt im Meer und überall,
Sein Nam gerühmt muß werden,
Denn Gott wird bawen ſeine Stadt,
Und Juda helffen in Gnad,
Daß man zu Zion wohne.

19  Das wird ein ſchönes Erbe ſeyn
Für die, ſo ihm vertrawen,
Die ihn fürchten mit Hertzen rein
Und auff ihn feſte bawen,
Sein trewer Knecht, der heilig Sam,
Und all, die lieben ſeinen Namn,
Die werden drinnen bleiben.



No comments: