11 May 2024

Herr, schaff mir Recht, nimm dich mein an

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Herr, schaff mir Recht, nimm dich mein an” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm XXVI, Judica me, Domine, with melody assignment: “Es spricht der Unweisen Mund wohl.” On the psalm, Vierling (Biblia, 723) writes, “It is a psalm of supplication lamenting the false saints who wish to be godly by the works of the Law and condemn the saints who are made upright only by the goodness and grace of God. It further accuses them of gladly taking bribes (v. 10). For these saints are certainly all sheer greedy throats, and the belly is their god, as St. Paul says. But they are harmful with their spiritual gleaming and worldly honor; therefore it is well to pray that they may not deceive us. It pertains to the Third Commandment and the First and Second Petitions, for it speaks of the worship and kingdom of God.”

 



JUDGE me, O Lord, my cause defend
From those my faith deriding!
I trust in Thee, my Lord and Friend,
Thou keepest me from sliding.
Examine me and Thou wilt see
My heart is wholly set on Thee,
Mine eye Thy Word beholdeth.

2 I cannot sit with persons vain,
Nor join in their transgression;
With all my heart, Lord, I disdain
The wicked congregation;
I wash my hands and flee from wrong,
And enter not their godless throng;
Till death I will oppose them.

3 Lord, where Thy Word is heard always,
There will I too be dwelling,
To offer Thee my thanks and praise,
Thy works of wonder telling.
I love Thy house, Thy holy place,
Where Thou art known in all Thy grace
And where Thy name is honored.

4 Ah, do not snatch my soul away,
But spare me in Thy favor,
When Thou in judgment shalt repay
The grievous harm forever,
Which by their mischief they have wrought
With lies and many a murd’rous plot,
For naught but their own profit!

5 Thou knowest my heart’s purity;
Therefore Thou wilt be gracious!
I bend my knee to honor Thee,
And count Thy will most precious.
I’ll bless Thee, Lord, and loud exclaim
The praises of Thy glorious name
Within the great assembly.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
1  HErr ſchaff mir Recht nim dich mein an,
Ohn Urſach man mich plaget.
Du wirſt mich ja nicht fallen lan,
Ich habs auf dich gewaget.
Prüff mich wirſts anders finden nicht,
Als daß mein Hertz zu dir gericht,
Dein Wort hab ich für Augen.

2  Mit Leuten, die nicht richtig ſeyn,
Kan ich nicht einig bleiben,
Ich haß von Grund des Hertzen mein,
Die gottloß Weſen treiben,
Ich hüte mich für Miſſethat,
Mein Seel kömpt nicht in ihren Rath,
Ich will als ihr Feind ſterben.

3  Wo dein Wort geht im vollen Schwang,
Laß ich mich gerne finden,
Zu opfern dir, HERR, Lob und Danck.
Dein Wunder zu verkünden.
Die heilig Stedt iſt mir die liebſt,
Da du dich zu erkennen giebſt,
Und dein Nam wird geehret.

4  Raff nicht mit weg die Seele mein,
Verſchon HERR mein in Gnaden,
Wenn dein Gericht wird gehn herein
Ubr die, ſo grollen Schaden.
Durch ihre Tück han an gericht,
Mit Lügn und mörlichen Gedicht,
Nur umb ihrs Nutzes willen.

5  Du weiſt mein Hertz in Unſchuld rein,
Drumb wirſt mir Gnad erzeigen,
Ich halt mich nach dem Willen dein,
Mein Knie für dir ich beuge.
Ich will dich loben, GOTT mein HERR,
Und deinen Namen preiſen ſehr
In der groſſen Gemeine.

No comments: