13 May 2024

Ich preis dich Herr zu aller Stund

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ich preis dich Herr zu aller Stund” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm XXX, Exaltabo te Domine, with melody assignment, “Mag ich Unglück nicht widerstahn.” Vierling (Biblia, 726) writes of the psalm, “It is a psalm of thanksgiving in which [David] thanks God for delivering him from the spiritual attack of the devil, which is despondency, sadness, fearfulness, wavering, doubt, and the distress of death, and such poisonous and fiery darts of the devil (v. 4). At the same time, it speaks very comfortingly of how God is angry only momentarily and is not desirous or eager for our death or tribulation, but prefers to see us alive and happy, etc. (v. 6, 12). It pertains to the Third Commandment and the First Petition.”

 


I WILL extol Thee, Lord, each hour
With all my pow’r,
Who gavest me salvation
And hast not made my enemy
Rejoice o’er me,
Who sought my devastation.
Aggrieved, O Lord,
My pray’r I poured
And cried to Thee;
Thou helpedst me,
And heardst my supplication.

2 When sick I lay in agony,
Thy remedy
With life my soul empowered;
The foe with fear my soul distressed
And me oppressed,
The sparks of hell he showered.
Thy love and grace
My guilt efface
And helped my soul
From hell’s control,
Wherein I sinking cowered.

3 Sing to the Lord, ye faithful, sing,
Your praises bring,
His holiness adorning;
His anger will a moment last,
And soon is past,
His grace drives out all scorning;
Life’s God is He,
And death must flee.
Though grief and fright
Endure a night,
Joy cometh in the morning.

4 I said in my prosperity,
All recklessly
That I may never waver,
For God hath given me success.
There’s no distress—
The sick may have his favor!
Strong is my case!
But then God’s face
Was suddenly
Concealed to me;
I had no comfort ever.

5 I cry and supplication make:
Do not forsake
My soul, Lord, I implore Thee;
What profit is there in my blood
In death’s abode
Shall this my dust adore Thee?
The living praise
Thy faithful ways.
Oh, let my pray’r
Find favor there,
O saving Lord, before Thee!

6 Thou turn’st my mourning and distress
To joyfulness,
And fill’st my mouth with singing;
Thou dost replace my sackcloth sad
With garments glad,
So that my heart is springing;
Therefore I’ll praise
For all my days
Thy glories high
And magnify
Thy name, due honor bringing.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
1  Ich preis dich Herr zu aller Stund
Von Hertzen Grund,
daß du mich thuſt erhöhen,
Haſt meinen Feinden nicht geſtatt,
Nach ihrem Rath
Args an mir zu begehen.
Engſtlich, HErr Gott,
In meiner Noth
Rieff ich zu dir,
Da halffſtu mir,
Erhörſt in Gnad mein Flehen.

2  Als ich lag kranck und ſiech zu Bett,
Durch dich errett,
Iſt mir gar wol gelungen.
Der Teuffel macht mir angſt und bang,
Thet mir groß Drang,
Blies auff der Hellen Funcken.
Uber meine Schuld,
Dein göttlich Huld
Halff meiner Seel
Aus Angſt der Hell,
Darin jene verſuncken.

3  Lobſinget Gott, ihr Gläubgn all,
Preiſet mit Schall
Sein Heiligkeit am Reyen.
Sein Zorn währt nur ein Augenblick,
Bald ihn zurück
Helt ſein Hertz from und trewe.
Des Lebens Gott
Leſſt nicht im Todt.
Die Abends Zeit
Geht hin mit Leid,
Der Morgen bringt gros Frewde.

4  Ich war ſehr keck, da mirs wol gieng,
Hielts für leicht Ding,
Daß ich könt ſtehn ohn Wancken.
Weil mir Glück gab der fromme Gott,
Hats keine Noth,
Gdacht, Troſt gehört für Krancken.
Daucht mich ſehr ſtarck,
Bald Gott verbarg
Sein Angeſicht,
Erſchreckt es mich,
Zerſchlug mir all mein Gdancken.

5  Ich ruff und fleh von Hertzen ſehr
Zu dir mein HERR,
Bitt wölſt mich nicht abreiſſen.
Was iſt an meinem Blut für Gwin,
Wenn ich todt bin,
Wird auch mein Staub dich preiſen?
Wer lebt, rühmt frey
Dein Güt und Trew
Mein Bitt hab ſtadt,
Erzeig mir Gnad
Du Helffer aller Waiſen.

6  Du haſt verwand mein Klag und Leid
Zur Fröhlichkeit,
Daß ich getroſt kann ſingen.
Du zeuchſt mir aus das Trawerkleid,
Gürtſt mich mit Frewd,
Ich geh in eitel Springen,
Dein göttlich Ehr
Zu preiſen ſehr,
Mit Danckbarkeit
In Ewigkeit,
HERR Gott, laß wol gelingen.



No comments: