18 May 2024

In meinem Herzen hab ich mir

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “In meinem Herzen hab ich mir” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm XXXIX, Dixi custodiam, with melody assignment “Mag ich Unglück nicht widerstahn.” Of the psalm itself, Vierling (Biblia, 735) writes,

It is a psalm of consolation and supplication also, that God would not let him murmur nor grow impatient at the ungodly, who so securely live and gather up goods as though they will not die (v. 3), whereas the godly are always afflicted and rebuked for their sin. And he desires far rather that God would grant him to remember how brief and uncertain this life is, than that he should so securely covet and boast with the ungodly without concern of death (v. 6). For it is a great offense and affects many hearts that the wicked live so securely in their riches, and the godly must be troubled and miserable. But at the end there is, as is the best of all, the forgiveness of sins, and having a gracious God, who delivers from all misery, as he says and prays here.

 

I SAID within my heart that I
Resolve hereby
To keep my tongue obedient,
And with a bridle to compel
My mouth so well
That no word inexpedient
May thence begin
Which were a sin,
While near at hand
Before me stand
The sinners disobedient.

2 I would be silent, wholly still
As is God’s will,
And practice self-restriction,
And hold my peace, yea, e’en from good,
But I did brood,
And mused without conviction,
My heart grew hot,
A fire was wrought,
And burned within,
My tongue did sin—
Ah, God, what great affliction!

3 Then teach me, faithful God, to know
That I must go,
And at the last be dying;
There is a measure to my day,
I must away,
And send my spirit flying;
My life’s a song,
A handbreadth long,
As naught to Thee;
O vanity—
For which men here are vying!

4 How vain all men are, to be sure,
And self-secure,
In blindness ever raving!
They strive, their shameful way to keep
And wealth to heap,
disquieted with craving;
They skin and fleece
And have no peace,
And know not who,
When life is through,
Their riches shall be having.

5 What now, O Lord, shall comfort me?
I hope in Thee,
All to Thy grace commending.
Forgive me all the sins I’ve wrought,
And let me not
Be mocked by fools offending;
I suffer still,
And bear all ill,
And trust in Thee,
Unwav’ringly,
Thou bring’st a blessed ending.

6 Remove Thy stroke away from me,
Else I shall be
Consumed, O Lord, before Thee,
When Thou the sinner dost upbraid
With torments dread,
His beauty and his glory
Dissolve like cloth
Before the moth;
Thy judgment wrought,
Brings all to naught
And vain are all men surely!

7 Lord, hear my cry, I will not cease;
Hold not Thy peace,
My tears count up and ponder!
I am, as all my fathers were,
Thy sojourner,
My home is heaven yonder;
O spare Thou me,
That I may be
Refreshed, O Lord,
By Thy dear Word,
Before I hence must wander.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

In meinem Hertzen hab ich mir
Geſetzet für,
Ich wol mein Zung bewahren,
Und wolte zeumen meinen Mund,
Zu aller Stund,
Daß mir kein Wort entfahre,
Welchs mir zur Sünd,
Gereichen kündt,
Weil ich muß ſehn
In Flore ſtehn
Für mir die gottlos Schare.

2  Ich bin verſtummet gantz und ſtill,
Nach Gottes Will
Wolt ich mein Hertz gern lencken,
Und in mich freſſen all mein Leid,
Schweigen der Frewd,
Doch wenn ich dran gedencke,
Mein Hertz ſich wendt,
Im Leib entbrennt,
Ich werd entzündt,
Mein Zung thut Sünd,
Ach Gott wie thut michs krenken.

3  So lehr mich doch, du trewer Gott,
Daß mir der Tod
Daß End einmal mus geben,
Mir iſt das Ziel geſetzet ſchon,
Ich mus darvon
Und meinen Geiſt auffgeben.
Mein Tag han kaum
Ein handbreit Raum,
All Herrligkeit
Iſt Eitelkeit,
Wie nichts für dir mein Leben.

4  Wie gar nichts ſind all Menſchenkind,
Raſend und blind,
In Sicherheit verderbet,
Sie gehn daher eim Schemen gleich,
Zu werden reich
Ein jeder ſich bewerbet,
Rennt, läufft, kratzt, ſcharrt,
Geitzt, ſorgt und ſpart,
Hat doch kein Muth
Bey großem Gut,
Leſts noch wol lachendn Erben.
    
5  Nun HErr wes ſol ich tröſten mich?
Ich hoff auff dich,
Stell alls zu deiner Gnaden,
Mach mich von meinen Sünden quitt,
Verlaß mich nit,
Sonſt hab ich Spott zum Schaden.
Ich ſchweig und leid,
Vertrag und meid,
Und trau auff dich
Gantz ſicherlich,
Durch dich wird nichts mißraten.

6  Wend ab deiner Hand Straff von mir,
Sonſt ich für dir
Verſchmacht von deinen Plagen,
Wenn du die Sünder ſucheſt heim
Mit Straff und Pein,
Wird ihre Schön durchnaget,
Gleichwie die Mott
Des Kleides Todt,
Macht dein Gericht
Alles zunicht,
Gar nichts ſind Menſchen Tage.

7  HErr hör mein Bitt, vernim mein Gſchrey,
Schweig nicht dabey,
Mein Thränen zehl mit Fleiſſe,
Du weiſt, HErr, daß ich dein Pilgrim,
Und Bürger bin,
Nach meiner Väter Weiſe.
Laß von mir ab,
Daß ich mich lab
An deinem Wort,
Eh ich muß fort,
Und ſeyn der Würmen Speiſe.



No comments: