05 May 2024

Ach Herr, wie lang willt du denn noch

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ach Herr, wie lang willt du denn noch” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm XIII, Usquequo Domine (we skip Psalm XII, for which Becker simply gives Luther’s paraphrase). The originally intended melody for our hymn is “Erbarm dich mein, o Herre Gott,” which occurs again in Psalm LI, for which Becker gives Hegenwalt’s paraphrase for which that melody was written.

Vierling (Biblia 712) writes on the omitted Psalm XII, Salvum me fac, (see the rendering of Luther’s hymn in English as “Ah, Lord Look Down from Heaven, Behold”), “It is a psalm of supplication and laments the doctors of men who always devise new innovations and everywhere fill the kingdom of God with such services, as the final versicle laments. For where the doctrine of men ever once comes in, there is no ceasing nor limit or moderation, but it grows and grows and burdens poor consciences out of measure, and makes few true saints to remain. Conversely, it gives the consolation (v. 6) that God will stir up His salvation, that is, His Word, which storms quite confidently under this straw house of men’s doctrine, and frees captive consciences, though it happens without cross and torment, but as silver refined in the fire, so they must also suffer for it, and thereby be purified, and know the truth the more clearly. It pertains to the Second and Third Commandments and to the First and Second Petitions.”

Of the present Psalm XIII, he writes (op. cit., 712f.), “It is a psalm of supplication against sorrow or heaviness of spirit, which on occasion comes from the devil himself, on occasion also from men who work against us with wicked tricks and stratagems so that we are troubled when we see such great wickedness against us. But the prayer is stronger than all calamity, as this psalm here shows by example. Thus we are to take heart and learn in all manner of misfortune not to be troubled, nor to gnaw at and devour our heart, being assured that we shall be heard and finally delivered, as St. James (5:13) also says: ‘If any man among you suffer, let him pray.’ It pertains to the Second Commandment, and to the First and Second Petitions, where we pray to be delivered from evil.”

 


AH, Lord, how long wilt Thou decide
Thus to forget me utterly?
How long? And wherefore dost Thou hide
Thy gracious countenance from me?
How long my soul feel grief within,
How long my heart’s distress increase,
How long my foes to my chagrin
Exalt themselves and steal my peace?

2 Look, Lord, and hear my pray’r of faith,
In mercy lighten Thou mine eyes,
Lest e’er I the sleep the sleep of death,
And lest mine enemy arise
And say he doth o’er me prevail,
If Thou not save from misery;
He shall rejoice to see me fail,
When he with force defeateth me.

3 My hope and trust are set alone
Upon the riches of Thy grace;
My heart shall also joy to own
That Thou dost help in every case;
Therefore I will sing unto Thee
With holy psalms and hymns of praise;
Since Thou wast bountiful to me;
I owe Thee thanks for all my days!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach Herr, wie lang wiltu denn noch,
So gantz und gar vergeſſen mein,
Wie lang, warumb verbirgſtu doch,
Für mir der Gnaden Antlitz dein?
Wie lang ſol mein Seel ängſten ſich,
Und mein Herz ſorgen immerzu,
Wie lang ſol mein Feind trotziglich,
Mir zufügen ſo viel Unruh?

2.  Schau doch, erhör mich, HERR, mein GOtt,
Erleucht mein Augen gnediglich,
Auff daß ich nicht entſchlaff im Tod,
Und mein Feind darnach rühme ſich,
Daß er mein mächtig worden ſey,
Wo du nicht hilffſt dem Elend ab,
Wird er d'rauf jubilieren frey,
Daß er mich gantz vertilget hab.

3.  Mein Hoffnung ſteht darauff allein,
Daß du ſo reich an Gnaden biſt,
Mein Hertz darob wird fröhlich ſeyn,
Weil du mir hilffſt zu jeder Friſt.
Dafür wil ich dich rühmen ſchon,
Mit Pſalmen und mit Lobgeſang.
Du HErr haſt wol an mir gethan,
Des muſtu haben ewig Danck.

No comments: