24 May 2024

Hilf mir, Gott, durch den Namen dein

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Hilf mir, Gott, durch den Namen dein” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm LIV, Deus in nomine (having referred Psalm LIII back to Luther’s “Es spricht der Unweisen Mund wohl”), with title “God for us” and melody assignment “In dich hab ich gehoffet, Herr.” Interestingly, Quirsfeld, in his Harpfenklang, prefers to insert Dachstein’s version of Psalm LIII (“Der Thöricht spricht, Es ist kein Gott”) rather than re-use Luther’s. Becker’s poetic summary reads: “David was in misery / in danger of his life from Saul, / prayed confidently to God, / and was delivered by His help. / Whoever prays diligently and trusts in God / is delivered out of all distress.” Concerning the basis of our hymn, Vierling (Biblia, 748) writes, “It is a psalm of supplication against persecutors, who seek the life of the godly because of God’s Word, as Saul and those in Ziph sought David’s life because of God’s Word, with which he was called and anointed king; and prays for help and vengeance of his enemies.”

 



SAVE me, O God, by Thy dear name,
And judge, O Lord, my cause and claim
By Thy great strength and power.
Hear as I pray
The words I say,
And save in trouble’s hour.

2 Proud men rise up, opposing me,
And persecute me boastfully,
The fear of God forgetting,
They only seek
My soul to take,
Their pitfalls for me setting.

3 Behold, God is mine Helper still,
Upholds my soul in every ill,
And He rewardeth evil
To th’ enemy;
Lord, be with me,
In truth bring their upheaval!

4 I’ll make a joyful offering
And to Thy name sweet praises sing,
For Thou with strength untiring
Deliv’rest me,
That I may see
On foes my glad desiring.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Hilff mir, Gott, durch den Namen dein,
Schaff mir Recht, Herr, und ſieh darein,
Durch deine Macht mich rette,
Erhör mein Gbet
Bernimb mein Red,
Hilff mir aus meinen Nöthen.

2  Stoltze ſich ſetzen wieder mich,
Verfolgen mich gantz trotziglich,
Gottsfurcht han ſie vergeſſen,
Haben mein Seel
In Ungefell
Zu bringen ſich vermeſſen.

3  Dennoch mein Gott mir ſteht zur Seit,
Der meine Seel erhält allzeit,
Er wird die Feind bezahlen.
Durch deine Trew
HErr ſteh mir bey,
Verſtör ſie allzumale.

4  Ich wil die Frewdenopfer thun,
Deim Namen ſagen Ehr und Ruhm,
Dir ich mich ganz vertrawe.
Dein göttlich Krafft
Mach mich ſieghafft,
Daß ich am Feind Luſt ſchawe.

No comments: