06 May 2024

Bewahr mich, Gott, ich trau auf dich

 Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Bewahr mich, Gott, ich trau auf dich” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm 16, Conserva me Domine, and for which the melody normally assigned is “Nun freut euch, lieben Christen gmein.” Vierling (Biblia, 714) writes on Psalm XVI, “It is a prophecy of Christ’s Passion and resurrection, as they were powerfully communicated by the Apostles (Acts 2:26f.; 13:35) and it was clearly shown that He would cast out old law with its sacrifices and services, as it were an idolatry, etc., and select a different holy people for a beautiful inheritance. It pertains tot he First, Second, and Third COmmandments, for it proclaims God’s new glory, works, Word, and worship, which was to come into the whole world in Christ after the old divine service; and it pertains to the First and Second Petition.

 


PRESERVE me, God! I trust in Thee,
Saith Jesus Christ our Savior:
For Thee how many an agony
I’ll bear to win men favor—
Not for Myself, but all Thy saints,
To dwell in great magnificence,
In whom is all my pleasure!

2 But those who other teachings choose—
Great sorrow shall they suffer!
I will their bloody beasts refuse,
The presents that they offer!
My lips shall never bear their name,
For in the judgment fall in shame
Those who reject My off’ring.

3 O Lord, my Portion Thou art wrought!
My heart with joy is swollen,
For unto me is heaven’s lot
In pleasant places fallen.
A goodly heritage is mine
Therefore I bless my Lord divine,
Who hath so greatly helped me.

4 It is my labor night and day
To do Thy pleasure willing:
All sin and wrath to take away,
Thy Holy Word fulfilling.
I keep God always in my sight.
Because He’s ever at my right,
I never shall be movèd.

5 Thus greatly doth my heart rejoice,
That all so well succeeded,
For glory sings my joyful voice
Which death hath not impeded;
My flesh shall safely rest and dwell,
My soul God bringeth out of hell;
No worm in death disturbs me.

6 The path of life Thou showest me
In mercy, God my Father,
That I may have all joy in Thee
And peace that none can bother.
Eternal glory’s fullness fair,
And pleasures evermore are there
At Thy right hand abiding!

Transation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Bewahr mich, Gott, ich trau auf dich,
Und ſag zu dir, mein Herre,
Um deinet Willn muß leiden ich,
Manch Marter groß und ſchwere,
Zugut den lieben Heilgen dein,
Die mit dir ſollen herrlich ſeyn,
Sie ſinds, die mir gefallen.

2 Die aber folgen frembder Lehr,
Werden gros Hertzleid haben,
Ich wil ihrs Opffers nimmermehr
Noch Bluts, mit einiger Gaben,
Ihrn Namen wil ich führen nicht,
Denn nichts beſteht für deim Gericht,
Was mein Opffer nicht ſühnet.

3 Der HErr iſt mein Gut und mein Theil,
Diß Erb mir liebt für allen,
Denn mir das Los zum Glück un Heil
Auff liebliche iſt gfallen,.
Ein ſchön Erbtheil mir worden iſt,
Ich lob den HErrn zu jeder Friſt,
Der mir hat wol gerathen.

4 Die Sorg liegt mir ob Nacht und Tag,
Daß ich vollbring deinn Willen,
Vertilg die Sünd, wend ab dein Rach,
Alle Schrifft zu erfüllen.
Für Augen hab ich Gott allzeit,
Der mir ſteht zu der rechten Seit,
Darumb werde ich wol bleiben.

5 Von Hertzen ſehr bin ich erfrewt,
Daß mirs ſo wol gelungen,
Und ich zu Ehr und Herrlichkeit
Durch den Tod bin gedrungen.
Mein Fleiſch gantz ſicher ruhen wird,
Mein Seel Gott aus der Hellen führt,
Kein Wurm im Grab mich rühret.

6 Den Weg zum Leben zeigſtu mir,
Gott Vater, durch dein Güte,
Auff daß für mich ewig bey dir
Bereit ſey Frewd und Friede,
Die Füll der ewign Herrligkeit,
Und lieblich Weſen allezeit,
Iſt Gott, zu deiner Rechten.

No comments: