14 May 2024

In dich hab ich gehoffet, Herr

Here is my supplemental translation of the psalm paraphrase, “In dich hab ich gehoffet, Herr” (Adam Reusner, d. 1575, and Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm XXXI, In te Domine speravi. To Reusner’s seven stanzas (here sts 1–6, 24), which focused on the first part of the psalm, Becker adds 17 more to cover every omitted verse with rather more than usual attention, the brevity of the stanza notwithstanding. The appointed melody is, of course, “In dich hab ich gehoffet, Herr.” I here include the translation of Reusner’s text familiar from The Lutheran Hymnal, which is a substantial revision of Catherine Winkworth’s. 

Of the psalm itself, Vierling (Biblia, p. 727), writes, “It is a general psalm of thanksgiving, supplication, and consolation, and is spoken in the person of Christ and His saints, which are afflicted all their life long, inwardly with terror and travail, outwardly with persecution, slander, and scorn, because of the Word of God, and yet are delivered by God out of it all, and are comforted. It pertains to the Second and Third Commandment and the First and Second Petition.”


 


IN Thee, Lord, have I put my trust;
Leave me not helpless in the dust,
Let me not be confounded.
Let in Thy Word
My faith, 0 Lord,
Be always firmly grounded.

3 My God and Shield, now let Thy pow'r
Be unto me a mighty tow'r
Whence bravely I defend me
Against the foes
That round me close.
0 Lord, assistance lend me.

4 Thou art my Strength, my Shield, my Rock,
My Fortress that withstands each shock,
My Help, my Life, my Treasure.
Whate'er the rod,
Thou art my God;
Naught can resist Thy pleasure.

5 The world for me has falsely set
Full many a secret snare and net
To tempt me and to harm me.
Lord, make them fail,
Do Thou prevail,
Let their disguise not charm me.

6 With Thee, Lord, have I cast my lot;
O faithful God, forsake me not,
To Thee my soul commending.
Lord, be my Stay,
Lead Thou the way
Now and when life is ending.

7 I hate the foes with all my heart
Who loving lies, from truth depart;
On God my heart confideth;
This is my joy
None can destroy,
Which in God’s grace abideth.

8 In pity Thou see’st my distress,
In Thee a refuge I possess,
Thou, when the need is highest,
Dost set my feet
In places meet,
And all my foes defiest.

9 Have mercy on me, Lord, for I
In trouble great and dreadful lie;
My face is spent with sorrow;
My limbs are frail,
My soul doth quail,
I shall not see the morrow.

10 My sin and sad iniquity
Have me consumed so utterly
My voice no longer soundeth,
My bones decay,
I waste away,
Sheer grief my soul surroundeth.

11 My sorrows heavy on me weigh,
When stripped of hope and help I sway,
By friends no longer know me,
In fear I face
The lighted place,
My neighbors hatred show me.

12 I am forgotten out of mind,
As one long since to death consigned,
For many years decaying.
A broken pot,
He matter not—
Such is the people’s saying.

13 Of them full many slander me,
They shun and fear me gen’rally,
And are ashamèd never,
But counsel take,
God’s law forsake,
And seek my life to sever.

14 Where shall I flee? Alone to Thee,
And say: Thou shalt my Helper be,
All in Thy hands is lying;
Thou life didst give,
By Thee I live,
With Thee I shall be dying.

15 Deliver me from cunning foes,
Who ever nearer round me close,
Thy face let shine upon me;
Thy servant save
From hell and grave,
Let mercy now be shown me!

16 Lord, let me not ashamèd be,
For heartily I’ve called on Thee,
But let those who do evil
Be put to shame;
Blot out their name,
And cast them to the devil.

17 To silence put their blasphemies,
Their lying lips, which now with ease
The righteous falsely slander;
Their haughty way
Shall ill repay.
To hell they must go yonder.

18 Great is indeed, O Lord, Thy grace,
Though not in every time and place
Can we perceive it clearly;
But who holds fast,
And trusts, at last
Thou shall reward most dearly!

19 The faithful, ’neath Thy shelter tried,
Are hidden from man’s hostile pride;
In Thy pavilion dwelling,
Their heart is stung
By no false tongue
Its vicious slanders telling.

20 Oh, blessed be the Lord, for He
Hath showed great kindness unto me,
And keeps me well protected!
His city wall,
So strong and tall,
All evils hath deflected.

21 I thought, when help seemed to delay,
God’s cast me from His face away!
Yet came a great salvation;
For when I cried,
Help was supplied;
Thou heard’st my supplication.

22 O love your faithful God and true,
All ye His saints! who keepeth you
From every fierce pursuer;
See how the Lord
Doth well reward
With shame each last proud doer.

23 Be of good courage, fear no threat,
All ye that hope in God have set;
Hold fast, and do not waver.
In season due
He’ll help you through
To joy that lasts forever.

24 All honor, praise, and majesty
To Father, Son, and Spirit be,
Our God forever glorious,
In whose rich grace
We'll run our race
Till we depart victorious.

Translation sts. 1–6, 24, TLH 1941 / C. Winkworth, 1863, alt.
Translation sts. 7–23 © 2024 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN
In dich hab ich gehoffet Herr
hilff das ich nit zu schanden wer
noch ewiglich zu spotte
des bitt ich dich
erhalte mich
in deiner trew mein Gotte.

2 Dein gnädig or nayg her zu mir
erhör mein bethg thu dich herfür
eyl bald mich zuerreten
in angst und wee
ich lig und steh
hilff mir in meinen nötten.

3 Mein Gott unnd schirmer steh mir bey
sey mir ain burg darinn ich fey
und ritterlich mög streytten
wider mein feynd
der gar vil seind
an mich auff bayden seytten.

4 Du bist mein sterck mein felsz mein hort
mein schildt mein krafft sagt mir dein wort
mein hilff mein hayl mein leben
mein starcker Got
in aller not
wer mag mir widerstreben?

5 Mir hat die welt trüglich gericht
mit liegen und mit falschem dicht
vil hetz und haimlich stricken
Herr nymm mein war
inn diser gfar
bhüt mich vor falschen tücken.

6 Herr meinen gayst bevilch ich dir
mein Got mein Got weich nit von mir
nimm mich in deine hebde
O warer Gott
ausz aller not
hilff mir am letsten ende.

7. Ich haß von Grund meins Herzen sehr
All, die halten auf falsche Lehr,
Auf Gott steht mein Vertrauen,
Das ist mein Freud
Zu aller Zeit,
Daß ich sein Güt mög schauen.

8. Du siehst mein Elend an in Gnad,
Zu dir mein Seel ihr Zuflucht hat,
Du hast in höchsten Nöten
Ins freie Feld
Mein Fuß gestellt,
Daß mich der Feind nicht töte.

9. Sei mir gnädig, o Herre Gott,
Ich bin in großer Angst und Not,
Ganzu ungestalt für Trauren,
Mein Leib verfällt,
Mein Seel sich quält,
Ich kann die Läng nicht dauren.

10. Mein schwere Sünd und Missetat
Hat mich so gar sehr abgematt,
daß mir die Kräft entgangen,
All mein Gebein
Verschmachtet sein,
Trübnis hat mich umfangen.

11. Mein Leiden wird mir schwer und groß,
Wenn ich ohn Trost und Hülf steh bloß
Und bin ein Schmach mein Freunden,
Ich darf schier nicht
Gehn an das Licht,
Mein Nachbarn mich anfeinden.

12. Mein ist vergessn in ihrem Sinn,
Als wenn ich schon wär längst dahin
Vor viel Jahren gestorben,
Von mir man spricht:
Wann's Gfäß zerbricht,
Seind die Scherben verdorben.

13. Ihr viel an Ehren schelten mich,
Für mich sich scheuet männiglich,
Dennoch sie sich nicht schämen,
Sie schließen frech
Widr Gott und Recht,
Zu nehmen mir das Leben.

14. Wo flieh ich hin? Zu dir allein,
Und sprech: Du sollst mein Helfer sein,
Steht doch in deinen Händen
Mein Leib und Lebn,
Du hast mirs gebn,
Ohn dich werd ichs nicht enden.

15. Errett mich von der Feinde List,
Damit mein Seel umgeben ist,
Erheb dein Antlitz klare,
Dein Knecht behüt
Durch deine Güt,
Kein Leid mir widerfahre.

16. Laß nicht zu schanden werden mich,
Weil ich so herzlich bitte dich,
Zu Schand der Gottlos werde,
Der Höllen Schlund
Reiß ihn zur Stund
Hinweg von dieser Erde.

17. Verstummen muß ihr Lästermund,
Der mit viel Lügen ohne Grund
Den Frommen hart beschweret,
Sein stolzer Mut
Tut nimmer gut,
Die Höll muß ihm erwehren.

18. Groß ist, Herr, dein Güt fürwahr,
Doch nicht allzeit gleich offenbar,
In Trübsal viel verborgen,
Wer sich nur fest
Darauf verläßt,
Den wirst du wohl versorgen.

19. Die Gläubigen durch deinen Schutz
Verborgen für der Feinde Trutz
In deiner Hütt sind blieben,
Kein Lästerung
Der falschen Zung
Ihr Herz nicht kunnt betrüben.

20. Gott sei gelobt und hoch gepreist,
Er hat an mir groß Gnad beweist,
Tut mich gar wohl bewahren
In fester Stadt,
Daß mir kein Schad
Noch Leid mag widerfahren.

21. Ich dacht, als ich nicht fand bald Trost,
Gott mich von seinm Antlitz verstößt,
Doch wurd ich's anders inne,
Da ich sehr schrei,
Eiltst du herbei,
Erhörtst meins Flehens Stimme.

22. Habt lieb den frommen treuen Gott,
Der euch behüt in aller Not,
Ihr Gläubigen auf Erden,
Und merkt dabei,
Wie Hochmuth frei
Von Gott gestrafet werde.

23. Drum seid getrost und unverzagt
All die ihr's habt auf Gott gewagt,
Halt fest, und steht ohn Wanken,
Zu rechter Zeit
Hilft er zur Freud,
Des werdt ihr ihm noch danken.

24 Glori lob ehr und herligkait
sey Got vatern und sun berayt
dem hailing gayst mit namen
die göttlich kraft
mach uns syghaftt
durch Jesum Christum Amen.

No comments: