02 May 2024

Ach Herr, mein Gott, straf mich doch nicht

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ach Herr, mein Gott, straf mich doch nicht” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm VI, Domine ne in furore. Another translation, by R. E. Wunderlich and available with Schütz’s setting from Concordia Publishing house under the title Ten Psalms from the “Becker Psalter” 1628 by Heinrich Schütz (1958), begins “O Lord, my God, rebuke me not.” The melody otherwise normally appointed for our hymn is “Aus tiefer Noth schrei ich zu dir.”

Vierling (Biblia, 707) writes, “It is a psalm of supplication, and laments over the deep and secret suffering of the conscience that, because of its sin, in faith and hope, is tormented with the Law and and wrath of God, and is driven to despair or unbelief. Elsewhere in the psalter, this is now and then called the ‘bonds of death’ and the ‘cords of hell,’ or ‘distress of death’ and ‘anguish of hell.’ But at the end he shows that this prayer is heard, as a comforting example to all who are in such tribulation, that they will not remain therein. And it rebukes the evildoers, that is, the false saints, who regularly hate and persecute such afflicted people. For their comfort stands on their own holiness, and they know nothing of such tribulation, for which reason they are the worst enemies of the pure faith. But it pertains tot the First and Second Commandment, for it praises the struggle of faith in God and makes supplication against sin and death. And it is in the First Petition of the Our Father, like all other psalms of supplication. For to pray is to call upon and honor the name of God.”

 


A
H, Lord my God, rebuke me not
Nor in Thine anger hurt me!
Turn from me Thy displeasure hot,
And turn to me in mercy!
For, full of pains, my body groans;
Heal me, for vexed are all my bones,
My soul is sore afflicted!

2 Ah, Lord, how long, how long? For lo,
I am tormented wholly!
Return, and save in time of woe
My soul so poor and lowly.
In death no man remembers Thee,
And he in hell’s great agony,
How can he ever thank Thee?

3 From groaning I am wearied quite,
I weakly faint and totter;
I make my bed to swim all night,
With tears my couch I water.
Mine eye’s consumed with grief untold,
For sorrow I am waxen old,
Great anguish now surrounds me.

4 Depart from me, depart and fly,
All workers of transgression!
For God in mercy heard my cry,
My pray’r and supplication.
My foes let meet calamity,
And be turned backward suddenly,
With shame and great vexation.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach Herr, mein Gott/ ſtraff mich doch nicht/
In deinem Zorn ſo ſchwere/
Dein Grimm wend ab/ und väterlich
In Gnad dich zu mir kehre/
Denn ich voll Schmertz und Trübſal bin/
Heyl mich, mein Gbein erſchrocken ſind,
Mein Seel iſt ſehr be trübet.

2.  Ach HERR, wie lang? wie lang, O Gott?
Sih doch, wie ich mich quele/
Wend dich/ hilff mir aus aller Noth/
Gnad meiner armen Seele/
Im Tod man deiner nicht gedenckt/
Und wen die Pein der Hellenkrenckt/
Eie kann er dir danck ſagen?

3.  Von ſeufftzen bin ich müd und ſchwach/
Krafftloß am leib gantz mager/
Ich ſchwemm mein Bett die gantze nacht/
Netz mit Threnen mein Lager/
Verfallen iſt all mein Geſtalt/
Für Trawren bin ich worden alt/
Groß Angſt hat mich umfangen.

4.  Weicht ab von mir/ zurücke kehrt/
All Gottloſn in gemeine,
Denn Gott hat gnädiglich erhört/
Mein Gbet und flehnlichs Weinen.
Mein Feinde treff das Ungefell,
Daß sie zurück ſich kehren ſchnell,
Mit Schand und groſſem Schrecken. 

No comments: