31 May 2024

Auf dich Herr trau ich allezeit

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Auf dich Herr trau ich allezeit” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm LXXI, In te Domine speravi, with title “The church’s age” and melody assignnment “Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ.” Luther writes of the psalm,

It is a psalm of supplication spoken (in my view) in the person of Christendom from the beginning to the end, against all enemies and persecutions. For he especially prays for his old age, when he will be feeble and gray (v. 9), that is, for the last Christians, when there are perilous times, and the faith and the Gospel are struck down, as Daniel declares that the truth is to be struck down, and unrighteousness to vanquish, which we have certainly experienced under Mahomet and the pope. Therefore he glorifies (vv. 15–17) God’s righteousness alone, which he has learned from God from the time of his youth or the beginning. And it may well serve us for a comforting prophecy that God’s Word must return before the end of the world, with which He again (he says in v. 20) pulls us from deep out of the earth and raises us highly. And such is the common word among Christians, that Elijah and Enoch shall come and lay bare the lies of the antichrist, and set all to right again.


 


I PUT my trust in Thee, O Lord;
Leave me confounded never!
Thy righteousness to me afford,
From need and threat deliver!
Thy gracious ear incline to me,
My mighty Habitation
Of salvation;
Let me be torn from Thee
By naught in all creation.

2 My Rock and Fortress, whose command
The hope of succor gave me:
The wicked all around me stand;
Out of their hand, oh, save me!
From tyrants’ hordes deliver me,
My Hope, I bow before Thee
And implore Thee,
Who from my youth have trusted Thee:
Preserve me to Thy glory!

3 From in my mother’s womb, in Thee
Lord God, I have confided;
Thou to the daylight broughtest me
When waiting hours subsided;
My praise shall ever be of Thee.
Men for an omen take me,
And mistake me,
But Thou, my refuge be,
My strength, and ne’er forsake me!

4 Oh, fill my mouth, Lord, with Thy praise
And honor never failing,
Cast me not off in older days,
When strength is unavailing
And I am gray, and sick of heart,
Give me no death distressing,
But in blessing
By grace let me depart:
All in Thy hand is resting!

5 Mine enemies against me speak,
Lay wait, and seek to slay me,
Consulting how, when I am weak,
They may at last dismay me.
They say: God hath forsaken him!
So let us now constrict him
And afflict him
No savior shall there be
To hear our hapless victim!

6 My God, be not Thou far from me,
Come with Thy help not slowly,
Let them in shame confounded be,
And meet destruction wholly
Who are my adversaries sworn!
Oh, that their misdeeds sordid
Were rewarded
With all reproach and scorn
Who have such grief afforded!

7 But I will hope continually
With praises e’er increasing
And show with great publicity
Thy righteousness unceasing,
How in Thy lovingkindness Thou
Unnumbered gifts bestowest,
Mercy showest,
Dost grace and life endow:
Our greatest good Thou knowest.

8 I will in that great strength proceed
Which from the Lord is given,
And glorify with heart and speed
The righteous God of heaven;
God, Thou hast taught me constantly
From youthful years to present,
All things pleasant;
Thy wondrous works I will
Declare with praise incessant.

9 Now also when I’m old and gray,
O God, do not forsake me,
But let me teach the young Thy way
And to Thy praise betake me,
That so Thy strength I may declare
By public proclamations
In all nations,
And all Thy works lay bare
To coming generations.

10 Thy righteousness, O God, is high,
Thou mighty things fulfillest,
To whom shalt Thou be e’er compared?
Thou doest what Thou willest.
In trouble sore I come to Thee,
Thou help’st when grief dismays me;
Thy hand slays me,
Yet Thou shalt quicken me
And from the earth shalt raise me.

11 Thou shalt increase my greatness, Lord,
And give me consolation;
My ceaseless thanks shall be outpoured
With strings and adoration,
To praise thy truth, which long I’ve known!
So let my harp be sounding,
Songs propounding,
To thank the Holy One,
Whose blessings are abounding!

12 My lips rejoice and sing to Thee
My soul with all its power
Gives thanks with true sincerity,
My tongue assays each hour
Thy righteousness, Lord, to proclaim,
On foes confusion wreaking,
Curses speaking:
Thou bringest them to shame
Who for my hurt were seeking!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Auff dich Herr trau ich alle Zeit,
Laß mich zu Schand nicht werden,
Rett mich durch dein Gerechtigkeit,
Hilff mir aus Noth und Gferden,
Dein gnädig Ohr neig her zu mir,
Du ſtarcker Gott gepreiſet,
Hülff beweiſe,
Daß ich ſtets flieh zu dir
Und mich nichts von dir reiſſe.

2  Dein Hülff mir zugeſaget haſt,
Mein Fels, mein Burg in Nöthen,
Die Gottloſen lan mir kein Raſt,
Aus ihrer Hand mich rette,
Hilff mir von der Tyrannen Hauff,
Mein Zuverſicht und Stärcke,
Mein Bitt mercke,
HErr, HErr von Jugend auff
Erhaltn mich deine Wercke.

3  Von Mutterleib verlas ich mich
Auff dich meinn Gott und HErren,
Denn du brachtſt mich ans Tageliecht,
Da ich ſolt gboren werden,
Mein Ruhm auff dich iſt gantz gericht,
Viel Leut eim Wunderzeichen
Mich vergleichen,
Du biſt mein Zuverſicht,
Mein Stärck, von mir nicht weiche.

4  Laß meinen Mund deins Ruhms voll ſeyn,
Daß ich dich täglich preiſe,
Verwirff mich nicht im Alter mein,
Wenn ich nun werd zum Greiſe
Und nehm an meinen Kräfften ab,
Dein Güt nicht von mir wende,
Selig enden
Hilff mir durch deine Gnad,
Es ſteht in deinen Händen.

5  Mein Feinde reden wieder mich
Und laurn auff meine Seele,
Zuſammen ſie beraten ſich,
Wie ſie mich wollen quelen,
Man ſpricht: Gott hab vergeſſen mein,
Sie wollen mich erjagen
Und wol plagen,
Kein Retter wird da ſeyn,
Dem er ſein Noth künnt klagen.

6  Mein Gott, ſey du von mir nicht fern,
Zu helffen dich nicht ſäume,
Sie müſſen all zu Schanden werdn
Und umbkommen gemeine,
Die meiner Seel beweiſen Tück,
Ach daß ihnn werd zu Lohne
Schand mit Hohne,
Sie ſuchen mein Unglück,
Des Frommen ſie nicht ſchonen.
    
7  Drauff will ich hoffen immerdar,
Und dein Lob ſtets vermehren,
Und will verkündign offenbar
Die Grechtigkeit meins HErren,
Wie er aus lauter Gnad und Gunſt
Unzehlig viel thut geben,
Gnad und Leben,
Ohn all Verdienſt umbſonſt,
Darnach wir ſollen ſtreben.

8  Ich geh in groſſer Krafft herein
Des HErren aller Herren,
Seine Gerechtigkeit allein
Preiß ich von Hertzen gerne.
Gott du haſt mich allzeit gelehrt,
Was ich in meinen Jahren
Hab erfahren,
Dein Wunder hoch vermehrt
Zu rühmen ich nicht ſpare.

9  Verlaß mich nicht mein treuer Gott,
In meinem Alter ſchwere,
Auff daß ich dein Recht und Gebot
Auch die Nachkommen lehre,
Damit deins Armes Krafft und Stärck
Stets mög werden verkündet
Kindes Kinden,
Und rühmen deine Werck
All die ſich künfftig finden.

10  Gott deine Grechtigkeit iſt hoch,
Du richſt aus groſſe Sachen,
Wem wil man dich vergleichen doch?
Was du willt, kannſtu machen,
In viel und groſſe Angſt ich kom,
Aber du hilffſt aus Nöthen,
Du kanſt tödten,
Machſt lebend wiederumb,
Aus der Erd wirſt mich retten.

11  Du machſt mich herrlich und ſehr groß,
Dein Troſt mich hoch erfrewet,
So danck ich auch ohn Unterlaß
Mit Seitenſpiel der Treue,
Die ich empfind mein Leben lang,
Drumb ſol mein Harffe klingen,
Ich wil ſingen
Dem heilgen Gott zu Danck,
Der mir hat lahn gelingen.

12  Dir ſing ich Herr mit fröhlichm Mund,
Auch meine Seel aus Kräfften,
Und ſag dir Danck von Hertzen Grund,
Mein Zung iſt auch geſchäfftig,
Tichtet von Deiner Grechtigkeit,
Die Feind müſſen ſich ſchämen,
Schmertz und Grämen
Beſteh sie alle Zeit,
Die nach meim Unglück rennen.



No comments: