02 October 2022

Zween der Jünger gehn mit Sehnen (supplement)

Here is my supplemental translation and alteration of Catherine Winkworth’s translation of the Easter Monday hymn “Zween der Jünger gehn mit Sehnen” (Johann Neunherz, d. 1737), Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #196, or rather of the revision by L. E. S. Müller, “Trauernd und mit bangem Sehnen,” with omission of stanzas 3–4 and alteration of several lines. I have adapted Winkworth’s translation to the original meter by altering at least 4, though often more, lines in each stanza, and have entirely re-translated stanza 9, since it departed so greatly from the original sense (her text is based on the 1842 revision). My translation of stanzas 3–4 and a few other revisions thus conform the English translation to Neunherz’s original German text. The appointed melody is “Jesu, meines Lebens Leben.”



TWO disciples, sad with longing
Toward Emmaus slowly go
And their eyes with tears are thronging,
And their soul oppressed with woe,
They are heard their case bemoaning,
Yet while thus they walk with groaning,
Jesus is not far away,
And their fears shall soon allay.

2 Ah! how many a heart is hounded
Still by some unspoken grief,
Mourning still, by woes surrounded,
Hopeless now of all relief;
Often doth it walk discreetly
To exhaust its tears completely,
Yet my Jesus cometh now,
Asking, “Wherefore weepest thou?”

3 When two souls have conversation,
In their midst He is the third;
He marks well all consternation,
Tells us His consoling word;
For He leaves us ne’er forsaken
(As we often think, mistaken)
He who has all things in sight
Faithful is both day and night.

4 Jesus in compassion followed
When, in vanity immersed,
I in many vices wallowed;
O the days, the years accursed,
Which have been thus vainly squandered!
Yet He took me as I wandered,
Washed me in His waters deep,
And restored the straying sheep.

5 When I face some need distressing,
Jesus leaves me ne'er alone,
In the hour that seems most pressing,
Then Himself He maketh known;
When in sorrow I’m consuming
As though He were far from coming,
Lo! I find Him more than near,
Quickly with His help He's here.

6 Truest Friend, who canst not fail me,
Evermore abide with me;
When the world would most assail me,
Then Thy presence let me see;
Would the devil sore offend me,
Then console me and defend me;
Come and in my spirit rest,
I will do what seems Thee best.

7 When some grief or sorrow moves me,
Set in me this thought divine:
That Thy soul as always loves me,
And that I am surely Thine:
Cause Thy Word to ground me firmly
And my heart to kindle warmly
That it burn with ardor bright,
And to know Thee learns aright.

8 Comfort other faithful mourners
When they deep in sorrow stand,
When they hide in secret corners,
Chambers, fields, or forest-land,
Times of contemplation keeping,
That they may exhaust their weeping;
Let them hear Thy whisper mild;
Wherefore dost thou mourn, My child?

9 When life’s day away hath fleeing,
When the night of death is near,
When in vain the eye benighted
Seeks some stay, some helper here:
Then Thy foll’wers’ dear petition,
Then abide Thou with us still,
Till Thou give us peace and rest
Stay, O stay, Thou noble guest!

Though the world give Thee no dwelling,
Savior, take me still with Thee,
Let me share Thy joys excelling,
Evermore abide with me!
Yea, as we Thy sons implore Thee
Still abide Thou with Thy glory.
Thanks, dear Guest, I give to Thee
That Thou hast consolèd me.

Translation sts. 1–2, 5–8, C. Winkworth, 1858; alterations © 2022 Matthew Carver.
Translation sts. 3–4, 9 © 2022 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN
Zween der Jünger gehn mit Sehnen
über Feld nach Emmaus;
ihre Augen sind voll Thränen,
ihre Seele voll Verdruß,
man hört ihr Klageworte;
doch es ist von ihrem Orte
unser Jesus gar nicht weit
und vertreibt die Traurigkeit.

2 Ach! es gehn noch manche Herzen
ihrem stillen Kummer nach,
sie bejammern ihre Schmerzen,
ihre Noth und Ungemach;
manches wandert gar alleine,
daß es nur zur Gnüge weine;
doch mein Jesus ist dabei,
fragt, was man so traurig sei?

3 Wenn zwei Seelen sich besprechen,
so ist er der dritte Mann;
er bemerket die Gebrechen,
redet, was uns trösten kann.
Denn er kann uns nicht versäumen,
wie wir glaubenslos oft träumen,
er hat alles im Gesicht,
seine Treu verläßt uns nicht.

4 Jesus ist mir nachgegangen,
wenn ich meiner Eitelkeit
und der Sünde nachgehangen;
o der unglückselgen Zeit,
die man dergestalt verloren!
Doch er hat mich neu geboren,
Jesus hat an mich gedacht
und das Schäflein wieder bracht.

5 Hat sich eine Noth gefunden,
so ließ er mich nicht allein;
Jesus stellt zur rechten Stunden
sich mit seinem Beistand ein.
Wenn ich mich bei ihm beschwere,
gleich als ob er ferne wäre,
o so ist er mehr als nah
und mit seiner Hilfe da.

6 Treuster Freund von allen Freunden,
bleibe ferner noch bei mir!
Kommt die Welt, mich anzufeinden,
ach so sei du auch allhier!
Will der Teufel auf mich blitzen, [mich betrügen,]
wollst du trösten und beschützen [laß in deinem Schutz mich liegen!]
Komm, in meinem Geist zu ruhn:
was du willst, das will ich thun.

7 Bin ich traurig und betrübet,
so gib nur in meinen Sinn,
daß mich deine Seele liebet,
und daß ich der Deine bin.
Laß dein Wort mich feste gründen,
laß es auch mein Herz entzünden,
daß es voller Liebe brennt
und dich immer besser kennt.

8 Tröst auch andre fromme Seelen,
wenn sie tief in Kummer stehn;
wenn sie in verborgnen Höhlen,
Kammern, Feld und Wäldern gehen,
ihrem Kummer nachzusinnen,
daß sie satt sich weinen können,
so sprich ihrer Seele zu:
Liebes Kind, was trauerst du?

9 Kannst du bei der Welt nicht weilen,
ach so nimm mich auch mit dir,
laß mich deine Freuden theilen,
sei und bleibe stets bei mir!
Bleibe doch in unsrer Mitten,
wie dich deine Kinder bitten.
Dank sei dir, o lieber Gast,
daß du mich getröstet hast.


No comments: