07 October 2022

Du fährst gen Himmel, Jesu Christ

Here is my translation of the Ascension hymn “Du fährst gen Himmel, Jesu Christ” (Gottfried Händel, d. 1698), first appearing in Saubert’s hymnal (Nuremberg, 1676), p. 297; later included in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #209. It is a hymn of comfort on the basis of Christ’s words in John 14:3 (cf. John 17:24, etc.), and thus, besides Ascension Day and Ascensiontide, may be fitting for the feast of SS. Philip & James, on which the beginning of John 14 is read. The appointed melody is “Es ist das Heil” or, in the Wisc. hymnal, “Nun freut euch, lieben Christen gmein.”




THOU goest, Jesus, to prepare
For me a heav’nly dwelling,
That where Thou art, I may live there,
For ages past all telling;
O Savior, Thou ascend’st on high,
That I to Thee may also fly:
This is my truest pleasure.

2 Thou goest, Jesus, o’er the cloud
And through the heavens speedest,
That I from earthly tumults loud
May follow where Thou leadest
My Jesus, Thou dost take Thy flight
From deep distress to high delight,
That joy may always fill me.

3 Where Jesus is, I too shall stay;
With Him I’ll dwell forever.
On Him my mind is set for aye,
From Him can naught me sever.
Though here I suffer many an ill,
Yet when I die, I know I will
Find quick’ning with my Jesus.

4 Therefore, my soul, despair no more,
Relinquish care and sorrow;
No longer fret thyself so sore:
On some approaching morrow
I will depart this vale of woe
And to the beauteous heaven go
Where Jesus will console me.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Du fährst gen Himmel, Jesu Christ,
die Stätt mir zu bereiten,
auf daß ich bleibe, wo du bist,
zu ewiglichen Zeiten.
Du fährst, mein Heiland, in die Höh,
auf daß ich in die Höh auch geb,
dies kann mich recht ergötzen.

2 Du fährst, mein Jesu, welkenan
und dringst durch alle Himmel,
damit ich dir nachfahren kann
aus diesem Weltgetümmel.
Du bist mein Jesu aus dem Leid
gegangen in die höchste Freud,
daß stete Freud mich labe.

3 Wo Jesus ist, da komm ich hin,
bei Jesu will ich bleiben.
Drum steht zu Jesu stets mein Sinn,
nichts soll mich von ihm treiben.
Ob ich schon duld hier manche Noth,
so werd ich doch nach meinem Tod
bei Jesu recht erquicket.

4 So zage nicht, du meine Seel,
laß nur den Kummer fahren,
und dich nicht allzu schmerzlich quäl,
ich werd nach kurzen Jahren
gelangen aus dem Jammerthal
hin in den schönen Himmelssaal,
da Jesus mich wird trösten.


 

No comments: