18 August 2024

Da Jesus Christus unser Schuld

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Da Jesus Christus unser Schuld” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm LXIX, Salvum me fac, with title “A supplication of Christ against the Jews and enemies of the Gospel.” The Ionian/major melody by Waldis follows the iambic meter 848.848.84.848 (AABCCBDDEEE), of which this is the only instance in his Psalter.

 



WHEN Jesus willed our guilt to bear
And us to spare,
To cross and shame He bowed His head,
His Godhead hid in aspect mild
Of man defiled;
Cried out to God the Lord and said:
Help me, O God,  pain and distress
Now sorely press,
Like mighty floods the agony
Will swallow me,
My life is threatened utterly.

2 I sank within the miry ground,
And wholly drowned,
Calamity engulfed me then;
I cried so long, my voice was hoarse,
Great pain did coarse
Through all my flesh  oppressed by sin;
My count’nance fell, my heart and sense
Departed hence,
So that in such distress and dread
As though one dead
I must wait long for God, my Head.

3 My causeless enemies by far
More num’rous are
Than hairs wherewith my head is fraught;
They do me wrong without a cause
Against Thy laws;
I must repay what I stole not.
O God, Thou know’st  right well that I
Now wholly lie
In others’ sins upon me thrown,
As now I own
With all my heart, and to Thee groan.

4 I pray, Lord, now for all these here
Who see me clear
Thus suff’ring in such feebleness,
That they may not offended be,
Nor fall from Thee
In faith, as soon might come to pass.
That I must suffer  scorn of men
And pay for sin,
O Lord of Hosts, Thy will hath made:
Lord God, give aid,
For Thee disgrace on me is laid!

5 My brothers and My mother’s son
My presence shun,
Forsake me, and will me not know.
Therefore hath zeal consumèd me
For praise of Thee
Sin brings me to the brink of woe,
Those who reproach Thee thereby bring
Me many_a sting,
I weep and fast, in sackcloth pray
Both night and day,
While all men evil of me say.

6 Men in the streets and taverns mock,
Against me talk,
While I in pray’r, Lord, call on Thee,
Thou helpest me in season due,
When griefs pursue,
And from the filth deliv’rest me,
Lest in distress  and doom I fall
And drown withal.
Yea, rather from my foes who press
I help possess
In God, who saves in all distress.

7 Let not the water-floods o’erflow
Nor bring me woe
Nor drown me in their waters deep;
Let not the pit consume me whole
Nor death my soul
Devour, nor in its belly keep.
Hear me, O Lord,  I cry to Thee,
Turn unto me,
Thy help and comfort let descend,
Thy mercy lend,
And all my sorrows here amend!

8 Hide from Thy servant not Thy face,
Nor needed grace,
But in my trouble help Thou me;
Come speedily, my soul to aid,
By foes waylaid,
And let me Thy deliv’rance see!
Thou knowest my  disgrace and shame,
How foes defame
And mock me, and my life oppose!
They me enclose
And break my heart with countless woes.

9 In pain mine eyes the crowds survey,
If but I may
Find one who pities my distress,
And who to my relief will run,
But there is none,
From whom I comfort may possess.
I bear disgrace  upon my head,
With gall am fed,
I thirst, but vinegar receive,
Thirst to relieve,
In death men still would me aggrieve.

10 Their synagogue and doctrine dim
Let be to them
A trap, and take them as a snare;
In darkness let them blinded be,
Lest they should see
The truth of God and Scripture fair.
Upon them pour  Thy fury now,
Their bane be Thou,
Make desolate their house and land,
And where they stand
And burn their houses as a brand.

11 For they see that Thou, God, hast me
So utterly
Forsaken, as Thy hated foe,
They boast that Thou dost me despise
And mock’st my cries,
When grief upon me they bestow.
Therefore they shout,  aggrieving me
As if I Thee
Forsook, and therefore Thou didst smite
And wound me quite,
And count me sinful Thy sight.

12 Because so hardened they remain
In causing pain,
Let them and all their deeds proceed,
Let naught in them be good or just,
Leave them in lust,
And never turn, lest they be freed!
Them from the band  of Thine elect
Do Thou eject,
Their names blot from Thy book of grace,
Exile their race,
Nor in Thy kingdom give them place!

13 Though I am poor before Thy sight,
Thou with Thy might
Dost help me in Thy needful hour;
That I the glory of Thy name
May loud proclaim,
Who pardon’st sin despite hell’s pow’r.
This praise shall please  Thee better than
The oxen slain,
As ordered in th’ old covenant;
Thou didst supplant
All this and Isr’el’s government.

14 Therefore the heavens worship Thee,
The earth and sea
And all therein Thy praises pay,
That Thou, O God, to help art wont,
And by Thy font
Thou dost a good foundation lay.
Thereon Thy Church  complete and pure,
Thou makest sure,
Wherein Thy Holy Word is sown,
That, ne’er o’erthrown,
Stands ever by Thy pow’r alone.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Da Jesus Christus unser schuldt
Bezalen wolt,
Begab sich biß ins Creutzes schmach,
Verbarg er sein götlich gewalt,
in Sünders gstalt,
Rieff er zu got dem Herrn, und sprach:
Hilff mir O Gott, des leiden schwer
Dringt ietz daher,
Gleichwie ein grosse wasser flut,
Mich uberschütt,
Und mir mein leben gar zerrütt.

2 Im tieffen schlam ich schir versinck
Und gar ertrink,
Das unglück mich bald gar erseufft,
Ich schrei so lang, daß ich werd heysch,
Mein sündig fleysch,
All pein und schmertzen uberlaufft,
Mein gsicht vergeht, mein mut und sinn
Ist gar dahin,
Daß ich in solcher angst und not,
Und in dem todt,
So lang muß harrn auff meinen Gott.

3 Die mich on ursach hassen sehr,
Der ist vil mehr,
Dann ich har hab auff meinem haupt:
Verderben mich on alle schuldt,
In meiner gdult,
Muß zalen das ich nicht geraubt.
Mein HERR, mein Got, du weyst gar wol,
Daß ich bin vol
Der missethat und frembden sünd,
DIe ich jetzund
Vor dir beknn auß hertzengrund.

4 Ich bitt jetz HERR für alle die,
Die mich allhie,
In solcher schwacheyt leiden sehn:
Daß sie sich nit ergern an mir,
Abfalln von dir
Im glauben, wie das möcht geschehn,
Daß ich die schmach jetz leiden muß,
Der sünden buß,
Ist alls dein will HERR ZEbaoth,
Hilff Herre Got,
Umb deintwilln leyd ich schand und spott.

5 Mein brüder und meine mutterkind,
Abgfallen sind
Von mir, und wölln mich kennen nicht,
Darumb frißt mich der Eifer sehr,
Umb deine ehr,
Die sünd hat mich schier hingericht,
Die schmach dern, die da schmehen dich,
Felt gar auff mich,
Ich weyn und fast, zieh an einn sack,
Bet nacht und tag,
Doch spott mein jeder wer da mag.

6 Auff den strassen und bei dem wein,
Spottet man mein,
Dieweil bett ich zu dir mein Got:
Du hilffst mir auch zu rechter zeit,
Auß allem leyd,
Errettest mich HERR auß dem kot,
Daß ich im unglück nit versinck,
Und gar ertrinck,
Sondern von meiner feind beschwerd,
Noch hie auff erd,
Von mir mein Got geholffen werd.

7 Auff das mich nit die flut verschling,
Und gar umbbring,
Ersauff in diesem wasser hoch:
Daß nit die grub des unfals gar,
Und todesgfahr,
Verdruck in diesem tieffen loch,
Erhör mich HERR, ich schrei zu dir,
Wend dich zu mir,
Dein tröstlich hülff und gütigkeyt
Sei mir bereyt,
Nach deinr grossen barmhertzigkeyt.

8 Vor deinem knecht verbirg doch nicth
Dein angesicht,
Komm mir zu hülff in dieser not:
Mach dich zu meiner seel alhie,
Erlöse sie,
Umb meiner feinde willn, O Got,
Du weyst mein schmach, mein schand und scham,
Wie feind, wie gram,
Mir meine widersacher sein,
Solch schmach und pein,
Krenckt und zerbricht das hertze mein.

9 In meim leiden seh ich umbher,
Ob jemand wer,
Dem mein elend zu hertzen gieng:
Und der mir reycht der hülffe handt,
Da ist niemandt,
Von dem ich einign trost empfieng,
Zu dem wirt mir solch hon beweist,
Mit gallen gspeist,
In meim durst wirt mir essig gschenckt,
Damit getrenckt,
Und wirt mein leben gar gekrenckt.

10 Ir Synagog, predigt und ler,
Müß vor in her,
Zum fallstrick werden uber sie:
Im finsterniß laß sie hingehn,
Dass nit verstehn
Die warheyt und die schrifft alhie,
Geuß auff sie deinn zorn und ungnad,
Und sei ir schad,
Mach wüst ir wonung und ir land,
Machs alls zuschand,
Ir stätt und häuser außgebrandt.

11 Weil sie sehen, daß du mich hast
Gleichwie einn gast,
Verlassen, als wöltstu mein nicht:
Rhümen sie, daß du mich verachtst,
Meins unglücks lachst,
Wann ich von in wird hingericht,
Drumb schreiens hui und ängsten mich,
Als het ich dich,
Verlassen, daß du mich drumb schlügst,
Mir nichts vertrügst,
Und solchs für meine sünd zufügst.

12 Weil sie nu so verstocket sein,
Zur rach und pein,
Laß faren hin in irem thun:
Laß in nichts bleiben recht noch gut,
Verker irn mut,
Daß sie kommen zu keiner sühn,
Verwirff sie auß der frommen zal,
Nur alzumal,
Ins gnaden buch sie nimmer schreib,
Sondern vertreib,
Daß keyner in deim Reiche bleib.

13 Ob ich gleich elend bin vor dir,
Doch hilffstu mir,
Nimst mich in deiner gnaden schutz:
Daß ich deins Namens ehr verkünd,
Der mir die sünd
Vergibt widr allen hellschen trutz,
Solch preiß wirt baß gefallen dir,
Dann ferre stier,
Opffer im alten Testament,
Welchs hat sein end,
Mit gantzem Judschen Regiment.

14 Drumb lob dichs gantze himlisch heer,
Erd und das meer,
Und alles das sich drinnen regt:
Daß du Got hilffest Zion auff,
Und durch die Tauff,
Zum newen baw der grund wirt glegt,
Darauff gebawt dein heilge Kirch,
Der Gottes pfirch,
Drinn wirt dein heilges wort geseet,
Welchs nit zergeht,
Durch dein krafft Ewiglich besteht.


No comments: