11 August 2024

Ach Herr, erhör mein flehlich Bitt

 Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ach Herr, erhör mein flehlich Bitt” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXLIII, Domine exaudi, with title “A psalm of supplication for forgiveness of sins, that God would preserve us in the glory of His name and right doctrine, and blot out the false teachers and enemies.” This is the first of two paraphrases of this psalm in Waldis’s Psalter, and judging from the traditional meter employed (87.87 D), also the first chronologically, perhaps dating to his time in Catholic prison. The second paraphrase, by comparison, in a more inventive meter (828.828.42.427.447), might well come from his post-imprisonment period as a pastor in Hesse. The end of the melody Zahn finds to be unusual (probably compared with the Psalter as a whole) and surmises the pre-penultimate note ought to be B rather than C. Heugel, nevertheless (to judge from his Tenor line), does not seem to be bothered by it.

 




LORD, hear my pray’r, receive my plea,
My heartfelt sorrow mending;
Receive my cry, forsake not me,
Thy faithfulness defending!
My sins upon me ever press,
I grieve at my transgression;
Therefore, Lord, in Thy righteousness
Show me Thy kind compassion.

2 Let not Thy judgment me befall,
Who Thy true servant name me;
Nor to Thy throne my trespass call,
Nor righteously condemn me.
For damned are all of Adam born,
Such weights of sin we carry,
Before Thee is none righteous found,
With sins hereditary.

3 The foe doth persecute me sore,
And to the ground doth grind me,
He saith, It is his man-made lore
That doth from sin unbind me.
With this he leads me into doubt
And gives my conscience anguish.
And death and hell their vict’ry tout
And thus my heart must languish.

4 Yet I Thy wondrous deeds recall
From ages long before us,
How Thou didst mercy show to all
Thy host with wonders glorious,
And what Thou wroughtest with Thine hand,
How Thou their sins forgavest,
Thus showing clear to every land:
How Thou art kind and savest.

5 I always stretch my hands to Thee,
Whose helping strength availeth;
My soul for Thee thirsts longingly,
My spirit almost faileth;
Hide not Thy face from me away,
Withhold not Thy salvation
Lest I become like those who stray
To hell and deeep damnation.

6 At morn Thy mercy let me cheer,
My trust on Thee dependeth;
Show me the way to follow here,
My heart Thy will attendeth.
My enemies all rave with spite;
O Lord, my soul deliver!
To Thee alone I will take flight,
Be Thou my trusty Savior!

7 Thou art my God, be Thou my Stay,
Thy Holy Spirit send me,
To lead me on the even way,
And to Thy pleasure bend me.
For Thy name’s sake my soul refresh,
From trouble grant salvation;
Defend me for Thy righteousness,
From every tribulation.

8 Cut off my foes, their host control,
For Thy compassion splendid;
Destroy those who afflict my soul,
Let my distress be ended,
Since Thou hast made me justified
And all my sin forgiven,
Thy servant ever I’ll abide,
And joy with Thee in heaven.

¶ Praise be to God in heaven’s throne
Who hath all good supplied us
Through Jesus Christ, His one dear Son,
Who doth with life provide us.
And to the Holy Ghost, the Lord,
Who here our sin forgiveth,
As promised by His Holy Word;
He who believes e’er liveth!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach HERR erhör mein flehlich bit,
Wöllst mir meinn kummer stillen,
Vernimm mein klag, verwirff mich nit,
Umb deiner warheyt willen,
Mein sünd mich quelen allezeit,
Und drucken mich vil armen,
Drumb HERR nach deinr gerechtigkeyt,
Wöllstu dich mein erbarmen.

2 Laß nit gehn uber deinen knecht
Dein Gricht und Urtheyl schwere:
Forder mein Sünde nicht ins recht,
Mich grichtlich zu verhören.
Verdampt sind alle Adams kind,
Mit sünden schwer beladen.
Vor dir sich keyn gerechter findt,
Steckn all in dem Erbschaden.

3 Drumb mich der feind verfolget sehr,
Und schleht mich gar zur erden:
Er spricht, ich sol durch menschen lehr
Von Sünd errettet werden.
Damit mich in verzweifflung fürt,
Und engster mein gewissen.
Meinn geyst der todt und helle rürt,
Daß mein hertz möcht zerfliessen.

4 Doch denck ich an dein wunderthat,
Von allen alten zeiten:
Wi du barmhertzigkeyt und gnad
Erzeygt hast allen leuten.
Und was gewircket hat dein handt,
Wie du vergabst die Sünde.
Solchs wirt der gantzen welt bekandt,
Daß gnad bei dir zu finden.

5 Zu dir ich stedts mein händ auß breyt,
Hilff daß ich werd erhöret:
Mein seel dürstet vor grossem leydt,
Mein geyst ist schier verzeret,
Dein antlitz nicht von mir abweich,
Wöllst mir dein hülff nicht sparen,
Daß ich nicht den mög werden gleich,
Die in die helle faren.

6 Zeitlich wöll mir dein gnad beistehn,
Mein hoffnung an dir hanget:
Zeyg mir den weg den ich sol gehn,
Nach dir mich HERR verlanget.
Mein feind sind also gar verrucht,
Wöllst mich von in erretten.
Zu dir hab ich alleyn zuflucht,
Drumb wöllstu mich vertretten.

7 Du bist mein Gott, wöllst bei mir stan,
Deinn heylgen geyst mir geben:
Der mich recht für auff ebner ban,
Nach deinem willn zu leben,
Erquick mich durch deins Namens ehr,
Mein seel auß nöten füre.
Umb deinr grechtigkeyt willn O HERR,
Daß mich keyn schad nicht rüre.

8 Verstör mein feind, mach sie zu nicht,
Umb deiner güte willen:
Bring umb alls was mein seel anficht,
Daß sich mein ellend stille,
Wann du mein sach bringst wider zrecht,
Wirst mir mein Sünd vergeben,
So bleib ich HERR allzeit dein knecht,
Bei dir werd Ewig leben.

¶ Lob sei Gott in seim höchsten thron,
Der uns hie hat gegeben:
Alls gut, durch seinen lieben Son,
In dem wir han das leben,
Dem heylgen Geyst, Der uns die sünd
Vergibt allhie auff erden,
Solchs durch sein heylges Wort veerkündt,
Daß wir dort selig werden.

No comments: