12 August 2024

Ach Herre, Gott erhör mein Stimm

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ach Herre Gott, erhör mein Stimm,” Psalm CXLIII, Domine exaudi, with title “It is the previous psalm of supplication [=A psalm of supplication for forgivness of sins, that God would preserve the glory of His name and right doctrine among us, and would blot out false teachers and enemies].” An apparent extra note, unslurred in the first stanza in line 9 (where Waldis has “geurtheylt”); I have tied with the following note in order to normalize the metrical length across all stanzas. Waldis’s Aeolian melody follows the innovative structure 828.828.42.427.447 (AABCCBDDEEFGGF) also used for his paraphrase of Psalm LIX. This second paraphrase of Psalm CXLIII by Waldis was not included among Heugel’s settings, and in my view, judging from the innovative meter and short two syllable lines, was probably written adn composed later, closer to the completion of the Psalter, a clear illustration of poetic prowess.

 



O LORD, unto my pray’r give ear,
And hear
My supplication and my cry,
For Thy truth’s sake I pray to Thee:
Let me
Not hopeless go, nor me deny!
Thou, Lord, art just. / I must
Thy justice own, / yet groan
For mercy and forgiving!
Thy just demand / no man can stand
Who on this earth is living!

2 The enemy Thy grace denies
And tries
To terrify me with Thy Law.
My life he smiteth to the earth
All mirth
He turns to dread and doubt and awe.
He works purveys / and says
If God’s Law steep / I keep,
My pray’r God quickly granteth.
Yet when I try, / my soul thereby
Is grieved, and cheerless panteth.

3 Yet I recall to mind always
The days
Of old, how Thou hast long ago
So many a wondrous deed made known,
And shown
Grace, and forgiven sins also;
And constantly / To Thee
My hands extend: / Help send,
And let my soul be sparèd!
My heart with thirst / For thee doth burst
Like land all parched and arid.

4 Lord, hear me speedily. No doubt
Without
Thy help my spirit soon must fail;
Hide not Thy face from me, who sigh,
Or I
Shall go where comforts ne’er avail.
Show me Thy grace / apace,
I trust Thee still. / Thy will
And way I pray Thee show me.
My soul doth groan / for Thee alone;
Do Thou in mercy know me!

5 My foes would fain my soul enthrall,
They shall
Not harm me in Thy safe abode;
Teach me do do as Thou dost will;
Instill
The comforts of Thy Spirit good;
Let Him provide / and guide
The even way / each day,
And grant Thy grace to quicken.
My soul relief / grant from all grief,
Lest I by hell be stricken.

6 Lord, through Thy righteousness I pray
This day
Thrust not my soul away from Thee:
In mercy hear my fervent sigh
Destroy
Mine enemies who trouble me,
Thy mercy send, / defend,
And make them all / to fall,
With death their souls encumber;
Thy servant let / by grace be set
Among the faithful number!

¶ When Thou, O Lord, shalt come again,
And men
Refresh forever by Thy grace,
And earth must die, by judgment stern
Let burn
All wickedness in every place.
Then faithfully / to Thee
We shall give laud / O God,
Thy name with joy adoring,
When we are freed / from every need—
Eternal praise outpouring.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach HERRE Gott erhör mein stimm,
Vernimm
Mein flehen und mein grosse klag,
Umb deiner warheyt willn ich bit,
Wöllst nit
Mich trostloß lan, daß ich verzag,
Du bist gerecht, / Deinn knecht,
In deim gericht, / Mit nicht,
Wöllst lassen geurtheylt werden,
Vor dir besteht, / Wanns urtheyl geht,
Niemandt der lebt auff erden.

2 Der feind versagt mir deine gnad,
Und hat
Mich hart mit deim gesetz erschrectk:
Mein leben schlecht zu boden gar,
In fahr
Des todts, und in verzweiflung steckt.
Mit wercken sicht, / und spricht,
Wann ich solchs halt, / sobald
Werd mein gebett erhöret.
So findt sichs doch, / mein seel wirt noch
Geengstigt und beköret.

3 Dennoch mir stedts im hertzen leit
Die zeit,
Darinn du hast von alters her:
Gar offt erzeygt dein wunderthat,
Daß gnad
Vergab die grossen Sünde schwer.
Darumb ich breyt / allzeit,
Mein hend zu dir, / hilff mir,
Und still mir meinen kummer,
Es dürst mein hertz / nach dir in schmertz,
Wie dürres land im summer.

4 Erhör mich bald, dein hülff geleyst,
Mein geyst,
Vor angst vergeht, und garverschwindt:
Verbirg dein antlitz nit so gar,
Sunst far
Ich hin, da man keynn trost mehr findt.
Drumb zeyg mir drat / dein gnad,
Dann stedts hoff ich / auff dich,
Dein weg wöllstu mich leren,
All mein begir / verlangt nach dir,
Wöllst mich zu dir bekeren.

5 Mein feind die mich verfüren wölln,
Die sölln
Mir schaden nicht, wann du erlößst:
Daß ich thu nach deim wolgefalln,
In alln
Darinn dein heylger geyst mich tröst,
Derselb mich rür / und für
Auff rechter ban / fortan,
Daß mich dein gnad erquicke,
Für auß der not / und auß dem todt
Mein seel, und auß dem stricke.

6 Durch dein gerechtigkeyt ich bitt,
Laß nit
Mein seel von dir verstossen sein:
Gnediglich mein gebet erhör,
Verstör
Mein feind die mir zu widern sein,
Daß mich dein güt / behüt,
Und bring sie all / zu fall,
Daß sie vor dir umbkommen,
Und ich dein knecht / vor dir gerecht,
Werd grechnet zu den frommen.

¶ Wann du HERR kommen wirst herab,
Dein gab
Uns Ewiglich erquicken werd:
Am end der welt durch dein gericht,
Zu nicht
Gemacht all boßheyt hie auff erd,
So wöllen wir, vor dir
Zum lob und preiß / mit fleiß
Deim Namen frölich singen,
Wann wir gefreit / auß allem leydt,
Dein Ehr ewig erklingen.


No comments: