09 August 2024

Herr, straf mich nit in deinem Zorn

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Herr, straf mich nit in deinem Zorn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm XXXVIII, Domine ne in furore, with title “A psalm of supplication that God would comfort sinners and protect them against the enemy.” The Phrygian melody by Waldis follows the meter 867.867 D (also used for Psalms VIII, LXXVII, and LXXXI). I give the melody with a slightly different reading of the (implicit) tie at the end of the bar from that of Zahn.

 

 


REBUKE me not, Lord, in Thy wrath,
Or I must meet my death,
Thine anger hot possessing!
Thine arrows all stick fast in me,
Torment me grievously,
Thy hand is sore oppressing.
Within my flesh is nothing sound,
I have no refuge found,
No peace my sin doth leave me,
Wherein I drown, and see my fate:
No man could bear this weight,
Which thus doth press and grieve me!

2 My wounds within me foully stink,
In foolishness I sink,
And to the earth am fallen;
My body withers in its pain,
My heart can nowhere gain
Relief, my mind is swollen.
Sin wracks my marrow, blood, and bone,
My pow’rs are fled and gone;
I’m feeble and sore broken.
My heart doth pant, my vigor dies,
All joy and pleasure flies!
Thus, Lord, my plaint I’ve spoken!

3 My groaning and my heartfelt plea
are clear, O Lord, to Thee;
Thou surely canst relieve me.
Behold, my friends forsake me all
When in distress I fall,
In troubles haste to leave me!
And those who for my life lay snares
To catch me unawares,
To end my life forever—
They deal with their deceptions vain,
To which I mute remain,
And like the deaf hear never.

4 I could not part my lips to speak,
As for reproof too weak,
And left them vaunting boldly;
Yet, Lord, I wait alone for Thee,
I know Thou hearest me,
And wilt in woe behold me.
I pray thee, Lord, their hopes defy
When they for vengeance cry,
To multiply my sadness;
Didst Thou let me in grief remain,
In sorrow and in pain
’Twould give their heart great gladness.

5 To suffer much I have been made,
Sin hath my soul waylaid;
In sin I was conceivèd.
Therefore I freely own my sin
Before Thee and all men,
For which I am aggrievèd;
Of pride my foes yet never tire,
But do their hearts desire,
In their own selves confiding;
For good they evil render me,
They hate me wrongfully,
With wicked counsels siding.

6 They do this since I know Thy will
And would it fain fulfill,
And be all good pursuing;
Therefore I pray Thee heartily
My God, forsake not me,
But govern all my doing!
Thy Word and works my comfort are,
Therefore do not be far,
But hear me in my crying!
Thou helpest those on Thee who call,
And wilt not let them fall
In need, distress, and dying!

¶ Lord, keep us ever, night and day,
That we may trust alway
Thy pledge of grace and favor,
And cling steadfastly to Thy Word,
That we may see Thee, Lord,
In glory there forever,
Through Jesus Christ, Thine only Son,
Who in Thy highest throne
With Thee forever reigneth,
Who hath in utter love and grace
Obtained for us a place,
And bliss for us regaineth.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
HERR, straff mich nit in deinem zorn,
Sunst bin ich gar verlorn,
Wo mich dein grimm hinrucket,
Dann deine pfeil stecken in mir,
Quelen mich vil zu sehr,
Dein hand gar hart mich trucket,
Nichts ist gesund in meinem leib,
Und weyß nit wo ich bleib,
Kein frid läßt mir mein Sünde,
Drinn du mich tieff versencket hast,
Zu schwer ist mir die last,
Daß niemand tragen künde.

2 Mein wunden sind eyter und stanck,
Mein thorheyt macht mir bang,
Daß ich mich bück zur erden:
Mein leib verdorrt für grossem schmertz,
Unrüwig ist mein hertz,
Verstelt sich sinn und gberden,
Die sünd zerstößt bein, marck und safft,
Dahin ist all mein krafft,
Verschlagen und verzaget,
Es bebt mein hertz, mein mut ist hin,
Freud, lust und all mein sinn,
Das sei dir HERR geklaget.

3 Mein seufftzen und meins hertzen bgir,
Ist HERR allzeit für dir,
Du kanst mich wol erretten:
Sih, wie mein freund mich gar verlan,
Im unglück mir abstan,
In nöten von mir tretten,
Und die mir nach meim leben stelln,
Wie sie mich mögen felln,
Umbbringen und verstören,
Sie gehn mit eitel listen umb,
Da gegen bin ich stumb,
Muß wie der taub nicht hören.

4 Gleichwie ichs nicht verfechten kundt,
Thu ich nicht auff meinn mundt,
Und laß also geschehen:
Doch harr ich HERR allein auff dich,
Ich weyß du hörest mich,
Mein elend wirdst ansehen,
Ich bit dich HERR, gibs in nit nach,
Daß sie nit schreien rach,
Meinn jamer zuvernewen,
Ließstu mich stecken im unfal,
Im leiden und in qual,
Des würden sie sich frewen.

5 Du weyst ich bin zu leiden gmacht,
Darinn mich auch har bracht
Die Sünd, drinn ich geboren:
Drumb zeyg ich sie dir willig an,
Bekenns für jederman,
Daß ich drumb bin verloren,
Aber mein feind faren hoch her,
Thun nach irs hertzen bger,
Sich auff sich selbst verlassen,
Bezaln mir guts mit ubelthat,
In irem bösen rath,
On alle schuld mich hassen.

6 Das macht, daß ich erkenn dein willn,
Wolt in auch gern erfülln,
Und an dem guten halten:
Darumb ich dich auch hertzlich bitt,
Mein Got verlaß mich nit,
Meins thuns wöllst immer walten,
Alln trost stell ich allein zu dir,
Drumb sei nit fern von mir,
Und laß mich nit verderben,
Da hilffst den die dich rüffen an,
Und wirdst sie nit verlan,
In not, sünd, angst und sterben.

¶ Dabei behüt uns nacht und tag,
Daß wir auff dein zusag
Mit hertzen gar vertrawen:
An deinem wort zu kleben fest,
Auff das wir dich zuletst
Dort Ewig mögen schawen,
Durch Jesum Christum deinen Son,
Der in deim höchsten thron
Mit dir ewig regieret,
Der uns solch gut erworben hat,
Auß eitler gunst und gnad
Die seligkeyt bescheret.



No comments: