05 August 2024

Zu Gott ich rüf, weil mich so tief

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Zu Gott ich rüf, weil mich so tief” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm LVI, Miserere mei Deus, with title “Psalm of supplication against the cunning foes, and that we may remain steadfast in faith.” Waldis’s unique Aeolian melody with substantial falls and leaps, has the unusual feature of two single-syllable “lines” (Zahn calls it a Reimwort) which may be seen as internal rhymes (one thinks of Speratus’s “other” hymns here) but set off with a short rest and rhythmic change that creates interest and tension, but may take practice to sing. The meter is 87.87.817.817 (ABABCCDEED)  I give it transposed down a step as an alternative.

 




TO God I call, / Lest e’er I fall
And ’mid the foe be sinking;
I see with dread / how they have spread
Their jaws, of evil thinking.
They arm themselves, fierce war to fight; / Spite
And hate their heart have taken.
Therefore when fear would bid me fly, / I
Trust God with faith unshaken.

2 God is my Praise / and Prize always,
His Word I praise forever;
I will not fear / when men appear,
My words to twist and sever;
Devising mischief, with great might / Night
And day they would assail me!
Against them God shall lift His hand
And
For my relief avail me.

3 They form their bands / and make their plans
How I may be unseated;
They mark my step / till I should slip
And thereby be defeated.
O Lord, shall their iniquity / Be
Allowed to grow yet stronger?
Into the pit, Lord, let them all / Fall,
And let them live no longer!

4 For Thou dost know / my need and woe;
My tears before Thee ever
Flow gen’rously; / so help Thou me,
And leave me not to waver,
But turn my foes who me attack / Back,
Uplift my heart and cheer it;
Then ’twill be clear, Lord, Thou at last / Hast
Renewed my heart and spirit.

5 The Word of God / I praise and laud
It is my refuge saving
And rule most dear. / I will not fear,
However men be raving.
The Lord from death delivers me, / He
In woe doth comfort give me.
Before Him in daylight I go, / No
Man can of Him bereave me!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Zu got ich rüff, / weil mich so tieff
Die feind wöllen versencken,
Sie brüsten sich / und engsten mich,
Nur eitel böses dencken,
Rüsten sich wider mich zum streit,
Neidt,
Unnd haß ir hertz hat troffen,
Drumb wann die forcht mein seel anficht,
Richt
Ich stedts zum HERRN mein hoffen.

2 Got ist mein rhum / und eygenthumb,
Sein wort wil ich stedts rhümen:
Was können thun / die menschen kün,
Obs gleich mein leer verthümen,
Ir sinn und dancken tag und nacht,
Tracht
Unglück auff mich zu wenden,
Dagegen hilfft der Herre mir
Schir
Auß not, an allen enden.

3 Sie halten zhauff / und schawen drauff,
Nach meim leben zu stellen:
daß meine trit / gerathen nit,
Und sie mich mögen fellen,
All waß in irem frevel thon,
Schon,
Ist in all sünd vergeben,
Herr Got, stoß sie in hellsche fahr
Gar,
Und laß sie nimmer leben.

4 Dann du, Herr Got, / kennst meine not,
Mein weynen und mein klagen:
Ist stedts vor dir, / darumb hilff mir,
Und laß mich nit verzagen,
So felt zurück meinr feinde schar
Gar,
Und wirt mein hertz erfrewet,
Dann findt sichs daß du Herr, mein Trost,
Hast
Mein hertz und gmüt vernewet.

5 Das Gottes wort / ist stedts mein hort,
Das will ich Ewig loben:
Mich darnach richt / und förcht mich nicht,
Ob schon die menschen toben,
Der HERR mich auß dem todt erlöst,
Tröst
Mich in all meinem leiden,
Vor im ich wandel, wie am tag,
Mag
Mich niemand von im scheyden.


No comments: