26 August 2022

Gleichwie ein Hirschlein mit Begierd

Here is my translation of the praise hymn, “Gleichwie ein Hirschlein mit Begierd” (Bartholomäus Helder, d. 1635), based on Psalm XLII (Sicut cervus), as it appears in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch (Wisc. Synod) #82. The appointed melody is “Es ist das Heil uns kommen her,” but Layriz indicates the “proper melody” from the Gotha Cantional II (1648), p. 286, and may have been written by Helder, which I therefore also include here from Zahn.


 


 

AS pants the hart with great desire
For water-brooks reviving,
When in the chase he starts to tire,
Through hills and byways striving,
So also doth my soul in me
Both thirst and groan, Lord God, for Thee,
With deep and heartfelt longing.

2 O Lord my God and Confidence,
When wilt Thou grant me ever
To look upon Thy countenance
So full of grace and favor?
Behold my grief and misery,
Defend me from the enemy,
From shame my soul deliver!

3 Both day and night I weep at heart
While proudly foes  aggrieve me,
But God again will joy impart,
And nevermore will leave me
So with His flock to church I'll go
And praises on His name bestow:
This is my highest gladness.

4 Why art thou cast down, O my soul?
Or what can discontent thee?
Hope thou in God, His name extol;
Thou need’st not thus torment thee.
God will assist thee graciously
This shalt thou witness visibly.
I’ll praise my God forever.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Gleichwie ein Hirschlein mit Begierd
schreiet nach frischem Wasser,
wenn's hin und her gejaget wird
durch wüste Berg und Straßen:
also auch meine Seel in mir
dürstet und schreit, Herr Gott nach dir,
mit sehnlichem Verlangen.

2 Ach, Herr mein Gott und Zuversicht,
wann wird's einmal geschehen,
daß ich dein gnädig Angesicht
mög schauen und ansehen?
Sieh an mein Elend, Angst und Noth,
laß mich nicht sein der Feinde Spott;
Errette meine Seele.

3 Der Feinde Trotzen kränket mich
zu Tag und Nacht im Herzen;
Gott wird mich aber lassen nicht,
mich wiederum ergötzen.
Ich will in seiner Kirch und Gmein
hingehn und lobn den Namen sein:
das ist mein höchste Freude.

4 Was magst du denn betrUuuben dich,
mein allerliebste Seele?
Trau Gott, dem herren inniglich;
was darfst du dich selbst quälen?
Er wird dir helfen gnädiglich,
du wirst's erfinden sichtbarlich:
ich werd ihm ewig danken.

 

No comments: