20 August 2022

Mein Gott! ich wart auf deine Stunde

Here is my translation of the trust hymn, “Mein Gott! ich wart auf deine Stunde” (B. Schmolck, 1716), in the form of a prayer and intention of trust to God, with several references to Genesis 32, taking Jacob as a model. According to Fischer, it appears in Schmolck’s Eines Andächtigen Hertzens Schmuck und Asche (Breslau/Liegnitz, 1716) titled “The Awaited Help” and was thence taken into Eisleben 1724, Erfurt 1858 part 3, etc. Some time before 1818 a few lines were lightly revised (the original text is in square brackets [] below), the first instance apparent to the translator being a hymnal designed for home devotions: Auserlesenes und Vollständiges Gebetbuch für glaubige Christen, 4th revised and enlarged ed., part 5 (Nuremberg: Bieling, 1817), where it is titled “For Restoration of Health.” This version importantly was included in Elsner’s Geistlicher Liederschatz of 1832.  It appears in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch (Wisc. Synod) #68, which appoints the melody “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.”



 

GOD, I await Thine hour appointed,
For it hath not yet struck, I know.
My heart this comfort hath anointed:
Thy help and counsel freely flow.
Thy Word at last shall be fulfilled,
The hour shall come as Thou hast willed.

2 God, in Thine hands I rest me wholly:
Deal Thou with me as pleases Thee.
I will resort to Thee, Lord, solely; [I'll look up to the mountains solely]
To Thee may all committed be!
My help doth come from Thee alone,
Best Helper Thou, Thy help make known!

3 When fear and hope contend inside me,
Faith bids me stand at peace and still,
Thine hand, though far, is not denied me;
’Twill comfort give, and strength of will;
Lord, surely, then, it will transpire:
In Thy grace I’ll see my desire.

4 Like Jacob I go to receive Thee,
My faith with Thee would strive and strain;
Oh, bless me, or I will not leave Thee.
Thy blessing let on me remain!
Thy blessing ’tis that turns my night
Into the fairer morning light.

5 I’ll trust Thy never-failing power,
Which can transform all grief and care.
Thy Word shall be my rock and tower:
“Cry unto Me,” Thou didst declare.
Therefore I hope, therefore I cry;
Thou wilt do as Thy words imply.

6 Yea, as Thou wilt, I’ll bear all sorrows;
My Lord a Man of Sorrows was:
His heart from mine true sorrow borrows,
I know He cannot leave, nor does.
His heart breaks, His lips promise free:
“Thee I’ll not leave. Leave not thou Me!”

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Mein Gott! ich wart auf deine Stunde,
die jetzt noch nicht gekommen ist. [ob sie gleich nicht geschlagen hat]
Ich habe diesen Trost zum Grunde,
daß du voll Raths und Hülfe bist. [Bei Gott ist immer Rath und That]
Dein Wort wird endlich doch erfüllt,
die Stunde komme, wann du willt.

2 Ich bin, mein Gott! in deinen Händen,
machs nur mit mir, wie dirs gefällt.
Ich will zu dir allein mich wenden: [Ich will mich nach den Bergen wenden]
es sei dir Alles heimgestellt.
Die Hilfe kommt allein von dir,
mein bester Helfer! Hilf du mir.

3 Wenn Furcht und Hoffnung in mir streiten,
heißt mich der Glaube stille sein:
ich sehe deine Hand von weiten,
die wird mir Trost und Kraft verleihn;
ich werde – Herr! es wird geschehn –
noch Lust an deiner Gnade sehn.

4 Wie Jakob geh ich dir entgegen,
mein Glaube ringt und kämpft mit dir:
ich laß dich nicht, gib mir den Segen,
dein Segen ruh und bleib auf mir;
dein Segen ist, der mir die Nacht
zur schönen Morgenröte macht.

5 Nur deiner Allmacht will ich trauen,
die allen Kummer ändern kann.
Auf dein Wort will ich Felsen bauen,
du hast gesaget: ruf mich an!
Ich hoffe nun, ich rufe nun;
du wirst nach deinem Worte tun.

6 Beleg mich, wie du willst mit Schmerzen: [Beleg mich nur mit allen S.]
war Jesus doch der Schmerzens-Mann,
und diesem geht mein Schmerz zu Herzen, [und diesem grief ich nach dem H.]
ich weiß, daß er's nicht lassen kann; [. . . daß michs nicht . . .]
ihm bricht sein Herz, sein Mund verspricht:
“Ich laß dich nicht! Ach, laß mich nicht!”


 

No comments: