29 August 2022

Ach Gott, es hat mich ganz verderbt

Here is my translation of the Sin & Confession hymn, “Ach Gott, es hat mich ganz verderbt” (L. Laurentius, 1700) based on Matthew 8:1–13. The German text, appearing in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #88, originates from the author’s Evangelia Melodica, hymns based on the Gospels of the church year (the basis being the pericope for the Third Sunday after Epiphany). Thence was taken up into Freylinghausen 1714. The melody is “Herr Jesu Christ, du höchstes Gut.”

 


ALAS, my God, the leprosy
Of sin which I inherit
From Adam fills me utterly!
And how shall I repair it?
My wretchedness is vast and great,
Thine eyes alone can penetrate
My heart’s profound corruption.

2 My mind is utterly astray,
With darkest gloom surrounded;
My will from Thee is turned away
In wickedness unbounded;
My appetites are all inclined
To carry out the lust I find
Up from my heart arising.

3 Who can th’ abomination tell
Which soul and body staineth!
Who will the foul disease expel
Which still in us remaineth?
Few, few are they that think thereon,
On human minds it doth not dawn
To look for needful healing.

4 In true remorse I come to Thee
And from my heart implore Thee:
O Jesus, Jesus, kindly free
From pain the soul before Thee,
From all its weights until this hour,
From all that sapped its life and pow’r,
Or I must wholly perish!

5 To whom but Thee, Lord, shall I cry,
My Life and my Salvation?
Thou only canst the cure supply,
And give me restoration
To make me pure from all my sin,
E’en in God’s sight, without, within—
Christ, by Thy wounds and dying!

6 Thou, Jesus, knowest my distress,
And canst, if Thou art willing,
This mortal stain in me redress
And all my grief be stilling;
Yea, Lord, Thou wilt, I firmly trust,
Nor shalt Thou leave me in the dust,
For, Jesus, Thou art Savior!

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Ach! Gott, es hat mich ganz verderbt
der Aussatz meiner Sünden,
die mir von Adam angeerbt,
wo soll ich Rettung finden?
Es ist mein Elend viel und groß,
und ist vor deinen Augen bloß,
wie tief mein Herz verdorben.

2 Es ist verdorben mein Verstand,
mit Finsterniß umhüllet,
der Will ist von dir abgewandt,
mit Bosheit angefüllet;
und die Begierden sind geneigt,
die Lust, die aus dem Herzen steigt,
im Werke zu vollbringen.

3 Wer kann aussprechen solchen Gräu'l,
der Leib und Seel beflecket?
Wer macht uns von dem Unheil heil,
daß uns hat angestecket?
Der Tausendste bedenkt es nicht,
der Sinn ist nicht dahin gericht't,
daß man dran mög genese.

4 Ich komm zu dir in wahrer Reu
und bitte dich von Herzen:
O Jesu, Jesu, mache frei
die Seele von den Schmerzen
und dem, was sie bisher beschwert,
und ihre Lebenskräft verzehrt,
sonst muß ich untersinken.

5 Wen sollt ich anders schreien an,
als dich, mein Heil und Leben?
Du bist allein der Helfersmann,
der mir kann Rettung geben,
daß ich von Sünden werde rein,
und als geheilt vor Gott erschein
durch deinen Tod und Wunden.

6 Du weißt, o Jesu, meine Noth,
und kannst nach deinem Willen,
vertreiben diesen meinen Tod,
und allen Jammer stillen;
ja, Herr, du willst, ich traue fest,
daß du mich nicht in Angst verläß'st,
du heißt und bist ja Jesus.



 

No comments: