03 August 2022

Stell dich, Herr, wie du willt

Here is my translation of the prayer hymn, “Stell dich, Herr, wie du willt” (J. Heermann, 1630), from which two separate stanzas have traditionally been cut to be sung in other contexts: stanza 2 is included in later hymnals as a prayer-hymn by itself (e.g., in Ev.-luth. Kirchen-Gesangbuch [Wisconsin Synod]) #32, especially fitting to conclude a prayer service; stanza 5 by itself as an earnest proclamation of law and exhortation under the Repentance and Confession section (as in Kirchengesangbuch ev.-luth. Gemeinden ungeänderter Augsb. Confession [Missouri Synod] #223). I include my translation of the latter used in Walther’s Hymnal (CPH, 2012), slightly altered. The melody appointed is “Nun danket alle Gott,” though “O Gott du frommer Gott” is used for the isolated fifth stanza in KELG.


 


O LORD, do as Thou wilt,
I’ll call on Thee as ever!
In anguish and in need
Thy succor faileth never.
To me Thou swarest so,
And so ’tis bound to be;
I shall see my desire,
Lord, in Thy help to me.

2 Lord Jesus Christ, be pleased
To let my sighing stir Thee;
Within my heart and house
Come with Thy blessings worthy!
No effort, toil, nor art
Without Thee may succeed;
Where Thou art with Thy grace,
That house is blest indeed!


3 Five thousand men hast Thou
With little bread sustainèd,
Who in their love for Thee,
Did follow Thee, much painèd;
Why should I worry much,
When help seems far from me?
Who will in Thee confide
Shall never ruin see.

4 Ah, Savior dear, regard
My heart and its affliction,
When on my sin I think
And on Thy crucifixion!
Yet Thou hast promised me:
“Thou art my precious child;
In grace I paid thy debt,
And thee I reconciled.”

5 Now is the time of grace,
Now wide stands heaven’s portal,
Now may true blessedness
Be hoped for by each mortal.
He who this day doth waste
Nor will to God repent,—
Let him bewail himself
When he to hell is sent.


6 Lord Jesus, though Thine hour
May often come but slowly,
And though my hope may now
Seem disappointed wholly,
Yet surely will it come,
On God’s appointed day,
And peace and blessedness
Eclipse the brief delay.

Translation sts. 1–4, 6 © 2022 Matthew Carver,
st. 5 © 2012 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

Stell dich, Herr, wie du willt,
ich fahre fort mit Schreien,
du wirst in Angst und Not
mit Hülfe mich erfreuen,
du hast mirs zugesagt,
drum muß es auch geschehn,
ich will noch meine Lust
an deiner Hülfe sehn.

2 Laß dich, Herr Jesu Christ,
durch mein Gebet bewegen,
komm in mein Herz und Haus,
und bringe mir den Segen:
kein Arbeit, Müh und Kunst
richt ohne dich was aus:
wo du mit Gnaden bist,
kommt Segen in das Haus

3 Fünf tausend Mann hast du
mit wenig Brot gespeiset,
die dir aus Liebe sind,
mein Jesu! nachgereiset;
was zag ich denn nun viel,
wann Hülfe mir gebricht?
wer sich auf dich verläßt,
o! der verdirbet nicht.

4 Ach liebster Heyland! ach!
sieh, wie mein Herz sich kränket,
wenn es an meine Sünd
und deinen Tod gedenket;
doch sprichst du ja zu mir:
du bist mein liebes Kind,
aus Gnaden laß ich dir
die Strafe samt der Sünd.

5 Jetzt ist die Gnadenzeit,
jetzt steht der Himmel offen,
jetzt hat noch jedermann
die Seligkeit zu hoffen:
wer diese Zeit versäumt,
und sich zu Gott nicht kehrt,
der schrei Weh über sich,
wenn er zur Höllen fährt.

6 Sehr langsam kommt wohl oft,
Herr Jesu, deine Stunde;
es scheint, als ging nunmehr
mein Hoffen gar zu Grunde:
doch ists gewiß, sie kommt,
und kommt zu rechter Zeit
ersetzt auch den Verzug
mit Fried und Seligkeit.

No comments: