07 August 2022

Gott ist mein allerhöchstes Gut

Here is my translation of the Trinitarian hymn “Gott ist mein allerhöchstes Gut” (D. J. Olearius, d. 1681), which appears in the Evangelisch-Lutherisches Gesangbuch as #47 with indication of the melody “Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend.” In J. Crüger’s Praxis Pietatis Melica, where the 7th stanza, perhaps a later addition, is lacking, it is given the title: “Bold Hymn of Faith on God’s Name,” the melody “Herr Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht.”



 

GOD is my highest Good of all,
Who quickens me, heart, mind, and soul—
God Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
My Shield and Stay in whom I boast.

2 He made me and delivered me,
He hallows, comforts mightily:
My Savior, Light, Inheritance
Rock, Refuge, Comfort, Confidence.

3 In Him my pow’r of life abides,
All help and counsel He provides—
My King, the Lord of Sabaoth,
Almighty God and Champion both.

4 God saith: “Whoever knows My name
And doth Me as his Father claim,
Help in all need I give to him,
And from distress and death redeem.

5 “As is My name, so is My praise,
My child, My own, for all thy days;
I am thy God eternally,
This evermore My praise shall be.”

6 So if the foe would make me fall,
Then on the name of God I’ll call;
I trust in God e’er faithfully,
His name will not depart from me.

7 Praise be to God the Father, Son,
And Holy Ghost, forever one;
Praise be now and eternally,
To God the Holy Trinity.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Gott ist mein allerhöchstes Gut,
das mir erquickt Herz, Sinn und Mut;
Gott Vater, Sohn und heilger Geist,
der mir ein Schutz, Schild, Beistand heißt.

2 Der mich erschaffen und erlöst,
der heilig macht und kräftig tröst,
mein Herzensteil, mein Heil, mein Licht
mein Fels, Trost, Burg und Zuversicht.

3 Der Herr ist meines Lebens Kraft,
der mir Trost, Rat und Hilfe schafft,
mein König, der Herr Zebaoth,
der große Held, der starke Gott.

4 Gott spricht: Wer meinen Namen kennt,
und wer mich seinen Vater nennt,
dem leist ich Schutz in aller Not,
den reiß ich auch aus Not und Tod.

5 Und wie mein Nam ist, bleibt mein Ruhm
bei dir, mein Kind, mein Eigentum:
ich bin dein Gott zu aller Zeit,
das bleibt mein Ruhm in Ewigkeit.

6 Will nun der Feind mich irren dran,
so ruf ich Gottes Namen an:
ich trau auf Gott, ich glaube fest,
daß mich sein Name nicht verläßt.

7 Lob sei dem Vater und dem Sohn,
und Gott, dem Geist in gleichem Thron!
Gelobt sei heut und alle Zeit
die heilige Dreieingkeit.



 

No comments: