15 August 2022

Weicht ihr Berge, fallt ihr Hügel

Here is my translation of the cross, comfort, and trust hymn, “Weicht ihr Berge, fallt ihr Hügel” (Philip Friedrich Hiller, d. 1766), appearing in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch (Wisconsin Synod) #61, not to be confused with Schmolck’s hymn with the same first line drawn from Isaiah 54:10. The appointed melody is “Gott des Himmels und der Erden.”



HILLS and mountains, be ye movèd,
Yet God’s grace shall ne’er forsake;
Peace’s seal from this is provèd:
God shall not his cov’nant break.
What my gracious Lord doth say
Takes my doubts and fears away!

2 Here are words for souls dejected,
Words most worthy of belief!
Here is speech to hearts directed,
Here is comfort for all grief:
Yes, God’s grace forsakes thee ne’er—
This thy gracious Lord doth swear.

3 Here is strength for all the weary,
On whom so much mis’ry weighs,
Grace and peace to calm and cheer thee,
Far above all earthly stays—
Gracious Lord, pledge this to me
In all my necessity.

4 When my sins afflict and grieve me,
And chastisements’ pains increase,
Oh, then let Thy words relieve me,
Fill my heart with balm and peace:
Tell me that in Christ, Thy Word,
Thou art e’er my gracious Lord.

5 Give to me a faith yet stronger,
That may boldly grasp Thy Word;
Then can Death suppress no longer
What Thou hast on me conferred;
Not by hell can plundered be
What my Savior swears to me.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

"Weicht ihr Berge, fallt ihr Hügel!
Gottes Gnade weicht mir nicht;
und der Friede hat dies Siegel,
daß Gott seinen Bund nicht bricht"
Dieses macht mich unverzagt,
weil es mein Erbarmer sagt.

2 Das sind Worte für die Blöden,
die sind alles Glaubens werth;
das heißt an die Herzen reden;
das ist Trost, wie man begehrt.
Gottes Gnade weicht dir nicht,
weil es dein Erbarmer spricht.

3 Hier ist Kraft für alle Müden,
die so manches Elend beugt.
Man findt Gnade, man hat Frieden,
welcher Alles übersteigt.
Mein Erbarmer, sprich mir du
dies in allen Nöthen zu.

4 Wenn mich meine Sünden schmerzen,
und der Strafen lange Pein,
ach, so rede meinem Herzen
deinen Trost und Frieden ein.
daß du mir in Jesu Christ
ewig ein Erbarmer bist.

5 Gieb mir einen starken Glauben,
der dein Wort mit Freuden faßt;
so kann mir der Tod nicht tauben,
was du mir geschenket hast.
Auch die Hölle nimmt mir nicht,
was mein Heiland mir verspricht.


 

No comments: