09 August 2022

Herr Gott, der du erforschest mich

Here is my translation of “Herr Gott, der du erforschest mich (und kennst mich aus und innen)” (asc. D. Denicke, d. 1680, a hymn paraphrase of Psalm CXXXIX, Domine, probasti me, as found in the Evangelisch-Lutherisches Gesang-Buch (Wisc. Synod) #51, first appearing in the Hannover Neu Ordentlich Gesangbuch 1648. Though likely a shorter reworking of the earlier, similarly titled, 9-stanza work by Heinrich Vogtherr (d. 1556), whose paraphrase of the same psalm was translated into Swedish by Olaf Wallin, it is so different as to be practically a new creation. There are fewer literal traces of the psalm text and more looser, introspective meditations rooted in the psalm. The appointed tune is “An Wasserflüssen Babylon.” A spurious doxological, stanza is sometimes appended.




O LORD my God, who searchest me,
My every action knowing,
E’en my omission’s known to Thee,
My staying and my going;
What in my bed I think or say,
Thou see’st and never go’st astray,
The heart and reins discerning.
Thou canst my every movement trace,
E’en when I seek some lonely place,
For some concealment yearning.

2 There is no word upon my lips,
But it may reach Thine hearing;
My heart cannot Thy gaze eclipse,
Nor soul prevent Thy peering;
What good I do comes all from Thee—
However great or small it be—
Without Thee, goodness faileth;
But if in mercy Thou provide
Right understanding, help, and guide,
Then surely it availeth.

3 How wondrously, O Lord, dost Thou
Conduct Thy saints God-fearing,
I cannot grasp, but simply bow
To Thy good grace’s streering!
Where shall I from Thy Spirit flee?
For e’en my thoughts are known to Thee,
No flight from Thee can aid me.
Flew I to heaven, Thou art there;
And e’en in hell, Thou art aware,
I nowhere can evade Thee.

4 Then, mighty God, because Thy hand
In every place can find me,
And all my deeds before Thee stand,
I’ll cast all sin behind me;
For darkness is as light to Thee,
What heav’nly is comes forth to me:
For refuge I implore Thee;
All I have done and said and thought,
Before Thy awful throne is brought,
Where I must stand before Thee.

5 O Lord, my soul discerns with praise
Thy pow’r which first did make me,
And so by secret, curious ways
Into this life didst wake me;
At Thy behest my flesh and bone
And all my members first were sewn,
Thy life my life afforded;
When I was yet unborn, by Thee
The days and years that I should see
Were in Thy book recorded.

6 I give Thee thanks and worship Thee
For all these works astounding—
Thy help and counsel wondrously
In body_ and soul abounding.
How precious are Thy works to me!
When I awake, I am with Thee,
Awaiting Thy good favor;
I firmly hold that all my sin
Forgiven me by Christ hath been,
That it may harm me never.

7 Give me resolve, Lord, till life’s end
From evil things to guard me;
From all the wicked me defend,
Ne’er from the holy part me,
That I may love what Thee doth please,
And hate whatever worldly is,
Nor hear their proud refusing;
But keep Thy Law, and hear Thy Word,
In faith and hope be undeterred,
On heav’nly things e’er musing.

8 Search me, O God, and know my heart,
Try me, and know my thinking,
See if there be some sinful part,
Where I may soon be sinking;
If with the wicked I should stray,
Restore me to the righteous way
That leads to life in heaven,
That I, from sin’s allurements free,
May pleasing be, O Lord, to Thee,
And blessed death be given.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Herr Gott, der du erforschest mich
und kennst mich aus und innen,
mein Thun und Lassen kommt vor dich,
Gehn, Stehen und Beginnen.
Was ich im bette denk und dicht,
siehst du von fern und fehlest nicht,
du prüfest Herz und Nieren;
du kannst, auch, wenn ich bin allein
und gerne wollt verborgen sein,
all meine Weg ausspüren.

2 Es ist kein Wort in meinem Mund,
so ich dir könnt verhehlen;
du, Herr, siehst recht des Herzens Grund,
was steckt in meiner Seelen;
du schaffest ja, ws ich vollbring,
wie groß es ist, und wie gering,
ich kann's ohn dich nicht richten;
wenn aber du durch deine Gnad
Verstand mir giebst, auch Hülf und Rath,
so kann ich Alles schlichten.

3 Wie du die Deinen wunderlich,
o Gott, hier pflegst zu führen
versteh ich nicht, und lasse mich
blos deine Gnad regieren.
Wo soll ich hin vor deinem Geist?
denn du auch die Gedanken weißt,
es hilft vor dir kein Fliehen.
Führ ich gen Himmel, bist du da;
auch in die Höll trittst du mir nah,
kann dir mich nicht entziehen.

4 Nun, großer Gott, weil deine Hand
mich überall kann finden,
und all mein Thun dir ist bekannt,
so hüt ich mich vor Sünden.
Denn dunkel ist wie Licht bei dir;
was himmlisch war, kömmt klar herfür,
ich kann dir nicht entgehen.
Was ich gethan, geredt, gedacht,
das wird vor deinen Thron gebracht,
da muß ich vor dir stehen.

5 Herr, meine Seel erkennt mit Preis,
daß du mich hast bereitet,
und daß ich bin auf dein Geheiß
aus Tageslicht geleitet;
durch deine Vorsorg Fleisch und Bein
und alle Glieder an mir sein,
dein Aug hat mich erwählet;
da ich noch ungeboren war
Hast du schon Stunden, Tag und Jahr
im Lebenslauf gezählet.

6 Ich danke dir und preise dich
für solche große Thaten,
und daß du mir so wunderlich
an Leib und Seel gerathen.
Sehr köstlich ist dein Werk an mir;
wenn ich erwach, bin ich bei dir,
und warte deiner Gnaden;
ich glaube fest, daß meine Sünd
durch Christum mir vergeben sind,
daß sie mir nicht mehr schaden.

7 Den Vorsatz gieb mir, Herr! dabei,
daß ich, was bös ist, meide,
die gottlos Rotte fern mir sei,
von Frommen mich nicht scheide;
daß ich nur lieb, was dir gefällt,
und hasse, was ist von der Welt,
auch ihren Trotz nicht achte,
halt dein Gebot, hör gern dein Wort,
im Glauben und in Hoffnung fort
das Ewige betrachte.

8 Erforsch mich, Gott, ergründ mein Herz,
durchsuch all mein Gedanken,
und stehe, ob ich hinterwärts
und auf die Seit woll wanken.
Bin ich villeicht auf bösem Weg,
so führ du mich den rechten Steg,
der nach dem Himmel weise,
daß ich vom Sünden-dienste frei,
und dir, o Herr, gefällig sei,
bis ich von hinnen reise.





No comments: