26 March 2023

Gottlob! Ein Schritt zur Ewigkeit (suppl.)

Here is my supplemental translation and minor correction or alteration of Winkworth’s translation of the Last Things and Eternity hymn, “Gottlob! ein Schritt zur Ewigkeit” (August Hermann Francke, d. 1727), Ev.-luth. Gsb #580, a cento omitting stanzas 5 and 6 of the original, written by Francke on his departure from Erfurt on Sep. 27, 1691, on the basis of Andreä’s hymns “Gottlob! ein Schritt zur Ewigkeit / ist abermals vorbei.” Anna Hoppe also has a translation from 1927 following the Wisconsin hymnal cento, which I include below (with thanks to Elisabeth Urtel). My supplement consists of stanza 5 and my corrections are confined largely to the second and fourth and last line of Winkworth’s earlier stanzas 1–3, which were never updated to match the original meter when she published the later version beginning with stanza 4. A peculiarity of Winkworth’s translation (sts 4, 7–11) is the rhyme in the last line, which is not usual in this meter (though appears elsewhere when this meter is translated, as in “Ah, Lord, Look Down from Heaven, Behold”). The appointed melody is “Nun freut euch, lieben Christen gmein.”

 


THANK God that tow’rds eternity
Another step is taken!
Oh, longing turns my heart to Thee
As time flows on unshaken;
Thou Fountain whence my life is flown,
Whence those rich streams of grace are drawn
That through my being quicken!

2 I count the hours, the days, the years,
That stretch in long succession,
Until, O Life, that hour appears,
When, at Thy indication,
Whate'er is mortal now in me
Shall be consumed for aye in Thee,
And Life be my possession.

3 So glows Thy love within this frame,
That, touched with fire of heaven
My whole soul kindles in the flame
Of one desiring, driven
To be in Thee, and Thou in me,
And e’en while yet on earth to be
Still pressing closer even!

4 Oh, wouldst Thou in Thy glory come,
As Thou, Lord, hast foretold it!
I count the moment
s weary sum
Until we may behold it;
With burning lamp, the Church, Thy Bride,
Is waiting for the holy tide
When Thou, Lord, wilt unfold it.

[5 Oh, let Thy Spirit’s unction pure
Upon my soul be flowing,
My spirit thereby reassure,
And let me Thee be knowing;
Oh, shine in me, Thou living Light,
Prepare my lamp for Thee aright,
That I at last receive Thee!]

[6 Come, saith Thy bride, who longs for Thee,
Of all else she is weary,
And prays to Thee incessantly,
Come, come, and do not tarry;
My Bridegroom, Jesus, come to me,
Thou know’st, O Lord, my soul to Thee
already is betrothèd.]

7 Yet I would leave it to Thy choice,
The hour when we shall meet Thee!
Though Thou dost love that heart and voice
Should daily thus entreat Thee,
And henceforth all my course should be
Still looking on and up to Thee,
With heart prepared to greet Thee.

8 I joy that from Thy love divine
No power my soul can sever;
That I may dare to call Thee mine,
My Lord, my Friend, for ever!
That I, O Prince of Life, shall be
Made wholly one in heaven with Thee,
In life that endeth never.

9 And therefore do my thanks o
erflow
That one more year is ended,
And of this Time, so poor, so slow,
Another step ascended;
And with a heart that may not wait
I hasten towards the golden gate
Where long my hopes have tended.

10 And when the wearied hands give way,
And wearied knees are failing,
Then make Thy mighty arm my stay,
Though faith and hope seem quailing;
That so my heart drink in new strength,
And fear no more the journey's length,
O'er doubt and pain prevailing.

11 Then on, my soul, with fearless faith,
Let nought to terror move thee,
Nor list what earthly pleasure saith,
When she would lure and prove thee;
The eagles
wings of love and prayr
Will bear thee through life's toil and care
To Him who still doth love thee.

[12 O Jesus, all my soul hath flown
Where Thou art waiting sweetly;
For Thou, in whom is love alone,
Hast vict’ry gained completely;
Farewell, ye phantoms, day and year,
Eternity is round me here,
Since, Lord, I live within Thee.]

Tr. sts. 1–3, 12, C. Winkworth, alt.
st. 5 © 2023 Matthew Carver.
st. 6, Moravian Hymn-Book.
sts. 4, 7–11, C. Winkworth.

 

Anna Hoppe’s Translation:

A STEP into eternity
The vanished year has taken.
O God, my heart doth yearn for Thee
As solemn thoughts awaken.
Thou Fount from whom my being flows,
What streams of grace Thy love bestows,
Each day my soul refreshing!

2 I count each hour, and day, and year,
In weary calculation.
When, O my life, wilt Thou appear
Perfecting my salvation?
I long, from mortal fetters free,
To put on immortality,
And bask in Thy communion.

3 Thy holy love’s warm, glowing fire
My heart’s love hath requited.
My spirit yearns with fond desire
To be with Thee united.
O let me wholly dwell in Thee;
Unto Thy Bosom draw Thou me
Nearer, and ever nearer.

4 Could I but see Thee as Thou art!
I wait for Thee in anguish!
Come, O come quickly, ere my heart
In death’s cold grasp doth languish.
Come, in Thy beauty, glorified;
Behold Thy faithful, waiting Bride
Adorned for Thy appearing.

[5 Oh, let Thy Spirit’s unction pure
Upon my soul be flowing,
My spirit thereby reassure,
And let me Thee be knowing;
Oh, shine in me, Thou living Light,
Prepare my lamp for Thee aright,
That I at last receive Thee!]

[6 Come, saith Thy bride, who longs for Thee,
Of all else she is weary,
And prays to Thee incessantly,
Come, come, and do not tarry;
My Bridegroom, Jesus, come to me,
Thou know’st, O Lord, my soul to Thee
already is betrothèd.]

7 I leave in fervent trust to Thee
The time of Thy returning.
But well I know it pleaseth Thee
To know that I am yearning
For that all-glorious Day to dawn
When I shall see Thee, Precious One,
And haste with joy to greet Thee.

8 It fills my heart with bliss to know
Thy love will leave me never.
O Bridegroom mine, I love Thee so,
And shall confess Thee ever!
Thou Prince of Life, with joy I may
Await the coming Bridal Day,
Thy riches to inherit.

9 I praise and thank Thee fervently.
The year that now has ended
Hath drawn me nearer unto Thee;
My steps are upward wended.
By grace let me continue them,
Until I reach Jerusalem
And see the pearly portal.

10 Should my frail knees in weakness fail,
And mortal strength forsake me,
Give me a faith that will not quail,
Stretch forth Thy Hand to take me!
Grant to my heart Thy strength sublime,
That I may ever higher climb
Until I reach Thy Heaven.

11 Proceed, my soul, upon Thy way
In fearless faith enduring.
Let not the world cause thee to stray
With pleasures vain, alluring.
And when the weary way doth bore,
Then, as an eagle, upward soar
On wings of pure devotion.

12 Dear Jesus, unto Thee in flight
My soul hath now ascended.
Drawn by Thy love, in pure delight
My upward path I wended.
O what is time and space to me!
I sojourn in eternity
Living in Thee, my Jesus!


Moravian Hymn-Book:

Thank God, towards eternity
Another step is taken!
My heart with longing turns to Thee:
Though not by Thee forsaken,
I long and pant for my release,
When I shall hence depart in peace,
To be with Thee forever.

2 I tell the hours and days and years,
And think them tedious ages,
Until the wished-for time appears
Which all my grief assuages;
Meanwhile with haste I forward press,
Till I arrive, with thankfulness,
At my desirèd haven.

6 Come, saith Thy bride, who longs for Thee,
Of all else she is weary,
And prays to Thee incessantly,
Come, come, and do not tarry;
Jesus, my Bridegroom, come to me,
Thou know’st, O Lord, my soul to Thee
already is betrothèd.

8-12 I am assured, nor life nor death
Me from Thy love can sever,
While I abide in Thee by faith,
And taste Thy love and favor;
What though this time seem long to me,
A foretaste of eternity
I have in Thy communion.


GERMAN
Gottlob! Ein Schritt zur Ewigkeit
ist abermals vollendet;
zu dir im Fortgang dieser Zeit
mein Herz sich sehnlich wendet,
o Quell, dar aus mein Leben fleußt
und alle Gnade sich ergeußt
in meiner Seel zum Leben.

2 Ich zähle Stunden, Tag und Jahr,
und wird mir allzulange,
bis es erscheine, daß ich gar,
o Leben, dich umpfange,
damit, was sterblich ist in mir
verschlungen werde ganz in dir,
und ich unsterblich werde.

3 Vom Feuer deiner Liebe glüht
mein Herz, das sich entzündet,
was in mir ist, und mein Gemüth
sich so mit dir verbindet,
daß du in mir, und ich in dir,
und ich doch immer noch allhier
will näher in dich bringen.

4 O, daß du selber kämest bald!
Ich zehl die Augenblicke;
ach komm, eh mir das Herz erkalt,
und sich zum Sterben schicke!
Komm doch in deiner Herrlichkeit;
schau, deine Braut hat sich bereit,
die Lenden sind umgürtet.

*5 Ach, mach, daß deines Geistes Öl
in mich werd ausgegossen
noch reichlicher daß meine Seel
ganz steh in dir zerflossen!
O leucht in mir, du Lebenslicht!
und meine Lampe selbst zuricht,
dich würdig zu empfangen.

*6 Komm! ist die Stimme deiner Braut;
komm! ruffet deine Fromme;
sie ruft und schreiet überlaut:
Komm bald, ach Jesu, komme!
so komme dann, mein Bräutigam!
du kennest mich, o Gotteslamm!
dir mögt ich sein vertrauet!

7 Doch sei dir ganz anheim gestellt
die rechte Zeit und Stunde,
wiewohl ich weiß, das dir's gefällt,
daß ich mit Herz und Munde
dich kommest heiße, und darauf
von nun an richte meinen Lauf.
daß ich dir komm entgegen.

8 Ich bin vergnügt, daß mich nichts kann
von deiner Liebe trennen,
und daß ich frei vor Jedermann,
dich darf den Bräutgam nennen,
und du, o theurer Lebensfürst,
dich dort mit mir vermählen wirst,
und mir dein Erde schenken.

9 Drum preis ich dich aus Dankbarkeit,
daß sich der Lauf geendet, [daß sich der Tag/die Nacht/das Jahr…]
und also auch von dieser Zeit,
ein Schritt nochmals vollendet;
und schreite hurtig weiter fort,
bis ich gelange an die Pfort
Jerusalems dort oben.

10 Wenn auch die Hände lässig sind,
und meine Kniee wanken,
so biet mir deine Hand geschwind
in meines Glaubens Schranken,
damit durch deine Kraft mein Herz
sich stärke und ich himmelwärts
ohn Unterlaß aufsteige.

11 Geh, Seele, frisch im Glauben dran,
und sei nur unerschrocken;
laß dich nicht von der rechten Bahn
die Lust der Welt ablocken;
so dir der Lauf zu langsam deucht;
so eile wie ein Adler fleugt,
mit Flügeln süßer Liebe.

12 O Jesu, meine Seele ist [O Jesu, wie manch…]
zu dir schon aufgeflogen,
du hast, weil du voll Liebe bist,
mich ganz zu dir gezogen.
Fahr hin, was heißet Stund und Zeit!
ich bin schon in der Ewigkeit,
weil ich in Jesu lebe.


No comments: