14 March 2023

O Gott, der du zur jeden Frist

Here is my translation of the children’s hymn “O Gott, der du zur jeden Frist” (Johann Rist, d. 1667), which appears in revised form in Ev.-luth. Gsb #556 as “O frommer Gott, ich danke dir,” a form first appearing in the 1690s and characterized by omission of stanzas 1, 6, 7, 8 and alteration of several lines, with stanza 5 being heavily reworked so as to be essentially new. It is probably due to the omission of the first stanza that it is generally without author and that Fischer himself does not seem to include it under any form.  My earliest instance is Johann Rist’s Frommer und Gottseliger Christen Alltägliche Haußmusik (1654). The authorship is also confirmed by Wetzel, Hymnopoeographia, p. 374, where the title is included under Rist’s works in the aforesaid hymnal. In that hymnal, p. 188, it bears the title: “Daily hymn of pious and godly children for their parents. In which they devote their dear parents to God’s protection and provision. This can also be sung to the tune of the beautiful hymn, ‘In dich hab’ ich gehoffet, Herr,’ etc.” Here it implies that the latter is an alternate to the proper melody provided by Schop.

 



O GOD, who art at every hour
A faithful Father, Rock, and Tow’r
To those of faith unfeignèd;
By whose strong hand
This pilgrim land
Must ever be maintainèd

2 With all my soul I give to Thee
My thanks that Thou hast graciously
Such parents to me granted,
And to this day
Their living way
With health and peace hast planted.

3 Forgive me my iniquity
Which hath offended them and Thee.
Oh, do not recompense me
Though oft indeed
I’ve paid no heed
To what Thy law commands me.

4 Give me a heart of thanks that I
May not my parents’ patience try,
To please them ever hast’ning,
Despising ne’er
As without care
Their teaching and their chast’ning.

5 Give me a mind where oft is weighed
How much laborious work I’ve made
My mother, who doth prize me,
And how for me
She constantly
With clothes and food supplies me.

6 Would I acknowledge this aright,
And all that heartfelt love requite,
With deeds, not sayings solely,
Then help, O Lord,
And strength afford
To do such service holy.

7 Let me the true God-Man behold,
In arms of faith Thy Son enfold,
Who on the cross, deep-sighing
E’er true remained,
In love unfeigned
E’en in the hour of dying.

8 As Isaac was obedient, sure,
And Jacob good, and Joseph pure,
And Tobit sin defeated,
Let me today
Live just as they,
In virtue firmly seated.

9 Give to my parents peace and rest,
Let all their lives in Thee be blest,
Help them to bear their crosses;
Let them perceive
Both morn and eve
Thy help from plagues and losses.

10 And when their time on earth is past
Bring them from mortal realms at last
Into Thy realms of glory;
For this I’ll raise
Thee songs of praise—
Just hear what I implore Thee!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
*O Gott, der du zur jeden Frist
ein Herzgetreuter Vater bist
der Gläubigen auf Erden,
durch welches Hand
dies Pilgerland
muß unterhalten werden.

2 O frommer Gott, ich danke dir, [Von ganzer Seelen…]
daß du so liebe Eltern mir
aus Gnaden hast gegeben,
und noch zur Zeit [die…]
sie, mir zur Freud, [für Noth befreit]
erhalten bei dem Leben. [gesund und friedlich leben.]

3 Verzeihe mir die Missethat,
die dich und sie beleidigt hat,
laß mich es nicht entgelten, [laß mich ja…]
daß ich, mein Gott,
auf dein Gebot
geachtet hab so selten. […so gar selten.]

4 Gieb mir ein Herz, das dankbar sei,
und meiner Eltern Eifer scheu, [das seiner Eltern Zorn auch…]
nicht thu, was ihn erreget, [und ihnen Freud errege]
auch nimmermehr
sich ihrer Lehr [die Straf und…]
aus Bosheit widerleget. [Aus Frechheit von sich lege.]

5 Laß mir oft kommen in den Sinn,
wie sauer ich der Mutter bin [wie saur ich doch geworden…]
vom Anfang her geworden, [der allerliebsten Mutter,]
und wie für mich [auch wie sie mir]
der Vater sich [verschafft allhier]
bemühet aller Orten. [die Kleidung, Speis und Futter.]

*6 Soll ich nun dies erkennen recht,
nicht nur erwiedern gar zu schlecht
mit Worten, sondern Werken,
so wolle mich,
Herr, gnädiglich
dein Hilf und Beistand stärken.

*7 Laß mich den rechten Gottesmann,
dein liebes Kind doch sehen an,
das dir getreu vereblieben
in aller Noth,
ja, das im Tod
auch stark war dich zu lieben.

*8 Konnt Isak doch gehorsam sein,
der Jakob fromm und Joseph rein,
Tobias feind den Sünden;
so laß mich heut
als diese Leut
auch bloß auf Tugend gründen.

9 Gieb meinen Eltern Fried und Ruh,
es decke sie dein Segen zu,
hilf ihr Kreuz ihnen tragen,
behüte sie
doch spat und früh
vor Trübsal, Angst und Plagen.

10 Und wenn dahin ist ihre Zeit,
so führ sie aus der Sterblichkeit
hinauf zum Reich der Ehren;
ich bringe dir
viel lob dafür,
wenn du mich wirst erhören.

No comments: