18 March 2023

Bleib, Jesu, bleib bei mir

 Here is my translation of the Death hymn, “Bleib, Jesu, bleib bei mir” (Erdmann Neumeister, d. 1756), in a 4-stanza cento in Ev.-luth. Gsb #567, first appearing in 7 stanzas in the author’s Evangelischer Nachklang (Hamburg, 1710, 1718) for the Second Day of Holy Easter (i.e., “Emmaus Monday”). It was spread later chiefly through inclusion in Bunsen and Knapp, according to Fischer. Miss Dunn gives a cento translation in different meter (see below). It seems by its inclusion in the Penn. and Wisc. hymnals under the section “Vocation” that, without the omitted stanzas (5–7), it was felt to be an appropriate hymn for use after the day’s work. Here I supply the stanzas in question from the 1710 edition of Ev. Nachklang. and place in squarely in the “Death and Burial” section, especially in view of the imminent language. The appointed melody is “O Gott, du frommer Gott.”

 



STAY, Jesus, stay with me,
For evening now is nearing,
And o’er the far-spent day
The shadows are appearing;
My parting is at hand,
The hour will soon commence,
When from this world I take
My final journey hence.

2 The time of pilgrimage
Now to its end progressing
Has gone o’er hill and dale,
Through cross and pain distressing,
But e’en when I knew not,
Thou near me wast, and art,
And with Thy comfort hast
Upheld my weary heart.

3 So wilt Thou to the end,
My Jesus, not forsake me;
My faith doth hold Thee fast,
And nothing now can shake me.
Already do I hear
The promise Thou hast made:
“I will not thee forsake;
Then be thou not afraid!”

4 Then shall my soul depart,
I feel no fear or sadness;
Thy hand will bring it in
The garden of all gladness;
For thus life’s bitter way
Its happy goal is giv’n,
When with a final step
We pass with Thee to heav’n.

5 The body takes its way,
To grave and soil descending,
Assured in hope that dust
Will not be its last ending.
Indeed, I take with me
Into the tomb a faith
Which life to me shall prove
E’en in the midst of death.

6 Since Thou, Lord Jesus Christ,
Didst rise from death’s dominion,
I have this comfort firm,
Defying man’s opinion,
That Thou, strong Prince of Life,
Wilt some day new re-make
These vessels, bones, and flesh,
And bid this body wake.

7 Then let me make my bed
Within my grave with pleasure,
And slumber till the time
When filled is slumber’s measure.
Let no man then declare
That I am dead and gone,
For sleep and death in Christ
Are altogether one.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

DUNN
Jesus, near me still abide;
Draweth near the evening-tide;
Quick the gath’ring shades descend;
Soon my day on earth shall end;
Yea, the time approaches fast,
Daylight shall be quite o’erpast;
Labors cease, life’s journey o’er;
I shall linger here no more.

2 All the rough and dubious way
Over hill and valley lay;
Crosses marking every stage
Of the dreary pilgrimage;
But in gloom, my Savior dear,
When I knew not, Thou wast near;
Sorrow bound me till at length
Thou appeared [sic], my Joy and Strength.

3 Yea, and Thou wilt still remain
Ever near in grief and pain,
And my faith shall still embrace,
Till I see Thee face to face.
Ah, already Thy dear voice
Bids my sorr’wing heart rejoice,
Sayin, “Fear not, at thy side
Evermore I will abide.”

4 Therefore will I never fear,
Waiting till my Lord appear,
Till Thou take me in Thy love
To Thy paradise above.
Oh, if at the journey’s end
Thou the wand’rer’s steps attend,
Surely all his care shall cease,
All his sorrows end in peace.

GERMAN
Bleib, Jesu, bleib bei mir,
es will nun Abend werden!
Der Tag hat sich geneigt
mit meiner Zeit auf Erden,
mein Abschied stellt sich ein,
die Stunde naht sich nun,
da ich soll aus der Welt
die letzte Reise thun.

2 Die Zeit der Pilgrimschaft,
die ich hier angefangen,
ist über Berg und Thal,
durch kreuz und Noth gegangen;
du aber warst bei mir,
auch wenn ich's nicht gemerkt,
und hast das matte Herz
durch deinen Trost gestärkt.

3 So wirst du mich zuletzt
mein Jesu nicht verlassen,
mein Glaube soll dich fest
mit beiden Armen fassen!
Ach ja, ich höre schon,
was mir dein Mund verspricht:
"Ich weiche nicht von dir,
so fürchte dich nur nicht!"

4 Drum fürcht ich mich auch nicht.
Wird meine Seele scheiden,
so führest du sie ein
ins Paradies der Freuden:
so ist der schwere Weg
des ganzen Lebens gut,
wenn man den letzten Schritt
mit dir in Himmel thut.

*5 Der Leib nimmt seinen Weg
ins Grab und in die Erde,
voll Hoffnung, daß er nicht
im Staube bleiben werde.
Und zwar, ich nehme was
mit in den Sarg hinein,
das mir ein Leben muß
auch in dem Tode sein.

*6 Weil du, Herr Jesu, bist
von Toten auferstanden,
so ist für mich der Trost,
der feste Trost, vorhanden,
daß du auch diesen Leib,
o starker Lebensfürst,
mit Adern, Bein und Fleisch
einst auferwecken wirst.

*7 So laßt mich freudig gehn,
zu Bette nach dem Grabe,
und schlafen, bis ich da
recht ausgeschlafen habe.
Es sage keiner nicht,
daß ich gestorben sei.
Denn Schlaf und Sterben ist
in Christo einerlei.


No comments: