20 March 2023

Dich preis ich, höchster Gott

Here is my translation of the Old Age hymn, “Hab Dank, Dreieinger Gott” (Ämilie Juliane, Countess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, d. 1706), from a revised form in Ev.-luth. Gsb #569 beginning “Dich preis ich, höchster Gott” and without author. Fischer has a brief entry also for the revised form, also without author, as may be expected when the first line of a hymn is altered so greatly so early on. After some searching, I am relatively satisfied that the author is the countess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. The original text (indicated in square brackets below) appears in her posthumous Der Freundin des Lammes Täglicher Zugang mit Gott (1714), and stanza 3 appears by itself in her Allerley Specerey (1714). The later, revised form, which saps the vital Christian character in an effort to appease the generalizing religious spirit of the age (ironically, perhaps, since it is meant for the elderly) appears in Hanover 1740, Schöber’s Liedersegen 1742, and from these in Danzig 1768, Lobenstein 1769, Lüneburg 1770, Augsburg 1772, Heilbronn 1774ff., Nuremberg 1792, etc., generally with the title “For Old Age,” or similar. The appointed melody is “O Gott, du frommer Gott.”

 



I THANK Thee, Three in One,
My Keeper and Defender
For bringing me thus far
In life from childhood tender!
Forgive me in Thy grace
My vile iniquity,
And in the blood of Christ
Regard me graciously.

2 My pow’rs are waning now,
My weakness is increasing.
I pray Thee still supply
Thy father-care unceasing.
On Thee my faith is fixed,
My God, my Lord Thou art!
Help me live hon’rably,
And blessedly depart.

3 Support and lead me, God!
So let Thy promise move Thee,
And for Thy loving grace
Help me to praise and love Thee.
And in the blood of Christ
To wrap me trustingly,
Until by gentle death
I come to be with Thee.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Dich preis ich, höchster Gott, [Hab Dank, Dreieinger Gott!]
mein Schutz und mein Erhalter!
weil du mich gnädig führst [daß du so gnädig mich]
und leitest bis ins Alter. [gebracht in dieses A.;]
Vergib mir Alles, was […Sünd,]
ich wider dich gethan, [die ich mein Tag…]
und sieh durch Christi Blut [und sieh in…]
mich mit Erbarmen an. […ferner gnädig an.]

2 Ich nehm an Kräften ab.
Bei meinem Unvermögen [und zu an…]
bedarf ich mehr als sonst [drum wirst du mich hinfort][drum bitt ich ferner aus]
dein väterlich Verpflegen. [auch…] [dein v. V.;]
Mein Hoffen ist und bleibt [] [m. H. i. u. b.,]
auf dich, mein Gott! gestellt; [] [mein Gott! auf dich…]
bring mich mit Ehren durch,
und selig von der Welt.

3 Heb, trag und führe mich,
mein Gott! wie du verheißen;
laß mich für solche Huld […deine Huld] […deine Gnad]
dich lieben, loben, preisen. [] [mich lieben dich und preisen]
Herr Jesu! schließe mich [darbei in Christi Blut]
in deine Wunden ein; [mich glaubig wickeln…]
laß mich durch sanften Tod [bis nach einm selgen…]
bald ewig bei dir sein. [ich werde…]

No comments: