17 March 2023

In Gottes Namen fang ich an

Here is my translation of the vocation/estate hymn,  “In Gottes Namen fang ich an” (Salomo Liscow, d. 1689), from Ev.-luth. Gsb #564, first appearing in the author’s Tugend-Spiegel (Leipzig, 1672), a work designed especially for women. Fischer considers it one of the best of Liscow’s hymns. In Gottschald, it has the title “Everything in God’s name.” The appointed melody is “Es ist das Heil uns kommen her.”

 



IN God’s name now I set my hand
To my appointed labor;
For with Him it will rightly stand
To serve Him and my neighbor;
The work whereon His name we trace
Is right and good in every case
And for our good may prosper.

2 God grants the heart and hand to bring
Good labors to their ending,
By His support and strengthening
A happy outcome lending,
That we may richly gain thereby
And from the hand of God Most High
Be fed and have our plenty.

3 The soul that seeks God’s kingdom first,
And in His path abideth
Will find rich bounties o’er him burst,
And blessings where He guideth.
The godly shall receive his fill,
That from his labors too may spill
Bread for the poor and needy.

4 The godly’s Shield and great Reward
Is God, whose grace doth crown them;
The spite and scorn of Satan’s horde
Cannot destroy or drown them.
He shelters them beneath His hand,
Anoints their city, state, and land,
And fills them with His gladness.

5 Then strengthen me, O Savior dear,
Thy help to me renewing!
Thy grace to every eye make clear
In what my hand is doing.
Thyself the prosp’rous pow’r convey,
That I, in all that I assay,
Thy blessing may inherit.

6 Bestow Thy Spirit from on high,
Of idleness to rid me,
That I may ever do with joy
What Thou, my Lord, dost bid me;
That I in faithfulness to Thee
Keep Thy commands obediently,
And love and serve my neighbor.

7 Come, Jesus, now, abide in me!
And let my labors ever
To Thy sure hands committed be,
That I may work, O Savior,
All to the glory of Thy name,
And when my work is done, may claim
In time the better wages.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

In Gottes Namen fang ich an,
was mir zu thun gebühret.
Mit Gott wird Alles wohlgethan,
und glücklich ausgeführet.
Was man in Gottes Namen thut,
ist allenthalben recht und gut,
und kann uns auch gedeihen.

2 Gott ists, der das Vermögen schafft,
was Gutes zu vollbringen.
Er giebt uns Segen, Muth und Kraft,
und läßt das Werk gelingen,
daß uns ein reicher Zug entsteht,
und dergestalt zur Nahrung geht,
daß wir Genüge haben. [Genügung]

3 Wer erst nach Gottes Reiche tracht,
und bleibt auf seinen Wegen,
der wird gar leichtlich reich gemacht
durch Gottes milden Segen;
da wird der Fromme voll und satt,
daß er von seiner Arbeit hat
auch Armen Brod zu geben.

4 Gott ist der Frommen Schild und Lohn,
er krönet sie mit Gnaden;
der bösen Welt ihr Neid und Hohn [Spott und Hohn]
kann ihnen gar nicht schaden.
Gott decket sie mit seiner Hand, [Er…]
er segnet ihre Stadt, ihr Land, [und…und Land,]
und füllet sie mit Freuden. [Er…]

5 Drum komm, Herr Jesu, stärke mich, [Drum, liebster Jesu,…]
hilf mir in meinen Werken;
daß du mit deiner Gnade dich
bei meiner Arbeit merken.
Gieb dein Gedeihen selbst dazu,
daß ich in Allem, was ich thu,
ererbe deinen Segen.

6 Regiere mich durch deinen Geist, [mit deinem Geist]
den Müßiggang zu meiden,
daß das, was du mich schaffen heißt, [auf daß]
gescheh mit lauter Freuden;
auf daß ich dir mit aller Treu
auf dein Gebot gehorsam sei,
und meinen Nächsten liebe.

7 Nun, Jesu, komm und bleib bei mir;
die Werke meiner Hände
befehl ich liebster Heiland, dir;
hilf, das ich sie vollende
zu deines Namens Herrlickeit,
und gieb, das ich zur Abendzeit [und hilf, daß ich zu seiner Zeit]
erwünschten Lohn empfange.

No comments: