23 January 2023

Wie gut ists von der Sünden frei

Here is my translation of the Jesus/sanctification hymn “Wie gut ists von der Sünden frei” (Philip Friedrich Hiller, d. 1769), Ev.-Luth. Gsb #472. It first appears in Hiller’s Geistliches Liederkästlein (1762). The appointed melody is “Lobt Gott ihr Christen,” or in the Wisc. hymnal, “Nun sich der Tag geendet hat.”

 


HOW good from sin to be set free,
How blest, whom Jesus owns!
In serving sin is slavery,
In Christ, the right of sons.

2 In serving sin is darkest shade,
The path is hid from sight;
In Christ the way is safely laid;
We travel in the light.

3 Sin’s service breedeth pain and hate,
Men vex and are aggrieved;
Christ’s kingdom teems with gladness great,
Love shown and love received.

4 Sin for its wages death bestows;
Oh, ’tis an awful fraud!
But life doth in the Son repose,
Who reconciles with God.

5 O Savior, Thee I’ll serve alone,
For Thou hast purchased me;
No other lord I want or own,
I’m baptized into Thee.

6 True freedom Thy redeemed possess,
Thou dost their debts erase,
And so I thank Thy faithfulness
And praise Thy loving grace.

7 Lord Jesus Christ, I worship Thee
And say: Thou own’st my heart.
I am Thy servant; let me be
Where Thou, my Master, art.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Wie gut ists von der Sünde frei!
Wie selig, Christi Knecht!
Im Sündendienst ist Sklaverei,
in Christo Kindesrecht.

2 Im Sündendienst ist Finsterniß,
den Weg erkennt man nicht;
bei Christo ist der Gang gewiß,
man wandelt in dem Licht.

3 Im Sündendienst ist Haß und Leid,
man plagt und wird betrübt;
in Christi Reich ist Freudigkeit,
man liebt und wird geliebt.

4 Die Sünde giebt den Tod zum Lohn;
das heißt ja schlimm gedient!
das Leben aber ist im Sohn,
der uns mit Gott versühnt.

5 O Heiland! dir nur dien ich gern,
denn du hast mich erkauft;
ich weiß und will sonst keinen Herrn,
auf dich bin ich getauft.

6 Wen du frei machst, der ist recht frei;
du schenkst ihm alle Schuld;
und darum dank ich deiner Treu
und rühme deine Huld.

7 Ich bete an, Herr Jesu Christ,
und sage: Ich bin dein;
nimm mich zu dir, denn wo du bist,
soll auch dein Diener sein!

No comments: