15 January 2023

Du Trost der Armen

Here is my translation of the Jesus hymn “Du Trost der Armen” (Ehrenfried Liebich, d. 1780), Ev.-Luth. Gsb #432, first appearing in the author’s Geistliche Lieder und Oden (1768). Liebich is of the Enlightenment school influenced by Gellert, who had a similarly named hymn collection. Somewhat in imitation of the Moravian school, the language is elegant simplicity, the devotion is fervent, the theology is minimal if inoffensive: this is the Enlightenment’s ideal, which still has not really been overcome. The appointed melody is “Nun preiset alle Gottes Barmherzigkeit.”



HOPE of the lowly,
Most gracious Friend to me,
Lamb of God holy,
Dear Bridegroom heavenly:
Thou fairest Treasure o’er all treasures
Thou art my source of eternal pleasures. (x2)

2 To know and claim Thee
Is my true blessedness;
When I but name Thee,
Joy doth my soul possess;
O Jesus, when my heart beholds Thee
Holy delight in Thy grace enfolds me. (x2)

3 Even in saddest
Sorrows conferred by Thee,
My heart is gladdest,
Knowing Thou joinest me.
How sweet the cross’s bitter savor,
Since I enjoy my dear Jesus’ favor! (x2)

4 My consolation
Thou art continually,
Grace and salvation
Flow from Thy wounds to me;
Thou clear’st all debts by blood outpouring,
By Thy afflictions all good restoring. (x2)

5 In faithful fashion
Thou seekest sinners’ weal,
In Thy compassion
Diest, my death to steal;
My curse upon the cross hast nailèd,
Satan the mighty one’s pow’r curtailèd. (x2)

6 Jesus is risen;
O sin and death, depart!
Foes bound in prison
Cannot distress my heart.
Hell, shut thy jaws! Thou canst not have me;
Jesus can, Jesus will surely save me. (x2)

7 Chosen and holy,
Christ, the beloved Son,
Firstborn, doth solely
Ascend the Father’s throne,
His children keeping safe and blessing,
Praying for sinners His name confessing (x2)

8 My faith sees clearly
My Shepherd true, how He
From the grave dreary
Shall someday waken me.
Though ye, my limbs, must break asunder,
Christ will remake you more glorious yonder. (x2)

9 Him whom I’ve loved here,
There in the light I’ll see;
What joy removed here,
There shall not silence me.
I’ll praise my Jesus for increasing,
Joy to the full and new life unceasing. (x2)

10 Sing, heavn’ly spirits,
Of the Lord’s faithfulness,
Sing of His merits,
In song His grace express!
Arise, my soul, on earth endeavor
Rightly to love the most gracious Savior. (x2)

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Du Trost der Armen,
heiliges Gotteslamm,
Freund voll Erbarmen,
himmlischer Bräutigam,
du schönster Schatz von allen Schätzen!
ewiglich sollst du mein Herz ergötzen!

2 Daß ich dich kenne,
ist meine Seligkeit;
wenn ich dich nenne,
wird meine Seel erfreut;
wenn, Jesu, dich mein Herz erblicket,
werd ich von heiliger Lust entzücket.

3 Auch bei dem Leide,
was du mir auferlegst,
merk ich zur Freude,
das du es mit mir trägst;
der bittre Kreuzkelch wird mir süße,
weil ich des Freundlichsten Huld genieße.

4 Zu allen Stunden
bleibst du mein Trost und Theil,
aus deinen Wunde
fließet mir Gnad und Heil;
du tilgst die Schuld mit deinem Blute,
leidend erwarbst du uns alles Gute.

5 Mit treuen Triebe
suchst du des Sünders Wohl,
du starbst aus Liebe
daß ich nicht sterben soll;
mein Fluch ward an dein Kreuz geheftet
Satan, der Mächtige, liegt entkräftet.

6 Mit meinem Freunde
trotz ich euch, Sünd und Tod!
bezwungne Feinde
machen mir keine Noth;
schleuß, Hölle, deinen weiten Rachen:
Jesus will, Jesus kann selig machen.

7 Der auserkorne,
brünstig geliebte Sohn,
der Erstgeborne
steigt auf des Vater Thron;
er schützt und segnet seine Kinder,
bittend vertritt er die armen Sünder.

8 Es sieht meine Glaube
wie mein getreuer Hirt
mich as dem Staube
herrlich erwecken wird:
verweset immer, meine Glieder,
Christi Huld giebt euch mir schöner wieder.

9 Den ich hier liebte,
den seh ich einst im Licht,
was hier betrübte
stört dort mein Loblied nicht:
dort wird mein Jesus Alles geben
Freude die Fülle, und liebliches Leben.

10 Ihr Engelchöre!
singet von Jesu Treu,
singt ihm zur Ehre,
daß er der schönste sei;
auf, meine Seele! such auf Erden,
dem Vielgeliebten recht lieb zu werden.

No comments: