12 January 2023

Nicht der Anfang, nur das Ende

Here is my translation of the Christian life hymn, “Nicht der Anfang, nur das Ende” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), Ev.-Luth. Gsb #432. It is not mentioned by Fischer. I find the text with some variants (as noted below) in the Geistlicher Würz-, Kräuter- und Blumengarten (Homburg, 1740), no. 684, p. 624, and Heiliges Oel (1741), no. 290, p. 255, in both instances with the title “For constancy in the faith,” and the melody name “Lieber Gott, wenn werd ich.” From such early collections it is included in Weimar 1755, Schweinfurth 1764/1771, etc., and then picked up by Knapp’s Liederschatz (1837) with the more congregational melody “Werde munter,” from which it was likely taken into Pennsylvania and thence the Wisconsin hymnal 1877, which appoints the same melody.

 




NOT the dawning but the ending
Crowns the Christian’s constancy;
Faithful God, my course attending,
Help me finish faithfully;
Thee I’ve known and do confess;
Oh, then grant me steadfastness,
That until this flesh grows colder,
Faith and love and hope grow bolder!

2 Let me like a rock unmoving
Laugh when flood and storm attack,
Let me stalwart e’er be proving
E’en when earth’s abyss should crack;
Be my Anchor holding tight,
Compass true, and guiding Light,
That in faith I ne’er forsake Thee,
Nor a shipwreck overtake me.

3 Faithful in all things Thou provest,
And Thy Word is faithful too;
Let me bring a heart Thou lovest,
Faithful like Thine own and true.
Though my flesh and blood oft shrink
And my courage too may sink,
Let my faith be still unshaken
Nor from out by heart be taken.

4 To become a Christian’s worthy,
But to be one’s better still.
Yea, on earth the greatest glory
Hath that man alone who will
As a Christian e’er contend
And believe until his end,
And for faithfulness be given
A reward of crowns in heaven.

5 Let me keep what I inherit,
And my crown let naught depose;
’Tis a gift of Thy good Spirit
That my wick of faith still glows.
Do not let this spark expire;
Make it yet a brighter fire,
Let it burn with flame undying,
Thee before no man denying.

6 The hast laid a good foundation,
Jesus, Thou my Cornerstone!
Firm against all perturbation,
By no cunning overthrown.
Let me too so firmly stand,
Never crumble like the sand,
When both might and guile endeavor
Me from Christ my Lord to sever.

7 Let me cling to Thee, O Savior,
As a burr on cloth remains;
And by faith live in Thee ever
Till my fighting vict’ry gains.
When I see the final throe,
Then by death upon me seal
Whereof I have made confession,
Let it be my glad possession!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Nicht der Anfang, nur das Ende
krönt des Christen Glaubensstreit. […Beständigkeit,]
Ach getreuer Gott! vollende
meinen Lauf in dieser Zeit;
hab ich dich einmal erkannt,
so verleih mir auch Bestand,
daß ich, bis ich einst erkalte,
Glauben, Lieb und Hoffnung halte.

2 Laß mich einem Felsen gleichen,
der in Sturm und Wellen steht; [welcher Fluth und Sturm verlacht,]
laß mich nicht zurücke weichen, [und nicht von der Stelle…]
wenn mich Noth und Tod umsäht. [wenn der Erden Abgrund kracht]
Sei mein Anker, der nicht bricht,
sei mein Stern und helles Licht, [mein Kompaß und Wegelicht;]
daß ich nie von dir mich scheide,
und am glauben Schiffbruch leide.

*3 Du bist treu in allen Dingen,
und dein Wort ist auch getreu;
laß mich dir ein Herze bringen,
welches deinem ähnlich sei.
Wanket oft mein Fleisch und Blut,
und entfället mir der Muth;
so laß doch den rechten Glauben
nicht aus meinem Herzen rauben.

4 Es ist gut, ein Christ zu werden, […Christe werden,]
besser noch ein Christ zu sein; […Christe sein:]
doch den besten Ruhm auf Erden
giebt der Herr vor dem allein, [hat derselbe nur…]
der ein Christ beständig bleibt
und den Kampf zum Siege treibt; [und bis an sein Ende gläubt;]
solchen wird mit ewgen Kronen [und der Himmel wird mit…]
Christus droben einst belohnen. [seine Treue dort…]

5 Laß mich halten, was ich habe,
daß mir nichts die Krone nimmt.
Es ist deines Geistes Gabe,
daß meine Glaubensdocht noch glimmt; [Glaubens-Tocht]
lösche nicht dies Fünklein aus, […den Funken aus,]
mach ein helles Feuer draus; [heller]
laß es ungestöret brennen,
dich vor aller Welt bekennen.

6 Du hast guten Grund geleget;
Jesus, der mein Grundstein ist, [Eckstein]
wird durch keine Macht beweget,
ihn verrücket keine List.
Laß mich fest auf ihm bestehn, […auch so feste…]
nimmermehr zu Grunde gehn,
wenn sich Macht und List bemühen,
mich von Christo abzuziehen.

7 Jesu! hilf mir dir anhangen, [Gieb mir, daß ich an dir klebe,]
wie das Schaaf am Hirten bängt, [wie die Klett am Kleide hangt,]
stets im Glauben dich umfangen, [und durch Glauben in dir lebe,]
wie mich deine Gnad umfängt. [bis mein Kampf den Sieg erlangt.]
Kommt es dann zur letzten Noth, [Kommt es auch…]
so versiegle mir im Tod, […durch den Tod,]
was ich hier geglaubt auf Erden,
und laß es zum Schauen werden!



No comments: