18 January 2023

Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht / ach was wollt

Here is my translation of the Jesus hymn “Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht / ach was wollt . . .” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), Ev.-Luth. Gsb #447. One of over a dozen hymns with the same first line (the famous one is that by Keimann from about 1660 based on the last words of George I of Saxony), it first appears in the author’s Heilige Flammen (Striegau, 1704), with the title “The constant faithfulness of and to Jesus [Jesustreue].” The initial letters of each line in the original spell “Maria Helena von Hohberg, gebohrene Freyin von Biebrana[m],” to whom this hymn is evidently dedicated, and which I have attempted to retain here, partly in English, as “Maria Helena von Hohberg, born the Baroness von Biebrana[m].” The Hochbergs or Hohbergs are an old line of Silesian nobility. Note that in the Wisc. hymnal, the acrostic is actually spoiled in two places, presumably for the sake of improved doctrinal clarity. The appointed melody is “Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht.”

 



MY dear Jesus I’ll not leave!
Ah, why lose my safest haven?
Rest and balm for those who grieve
In His bosom have been graven;
All that can true pleasure prove
Here I have in Jesus’ love.

2 Ever shall we be as one:
Love our lives hath firmly bonded.
Every good for me He won,
Nailed upon the cross and wounded;
All upon this Rock I build,
Very hope my heart hath filled.

3 Oh, without Him, I would see
Nothing else but hell’s grim portal!
He can glimpses give to me
On this earth, of realms immortal.
Here my hungry soul is fed
By the manna of His bread.

4 Every hour that any heart
Rightly seeks to grasp the Savior,
Grace thereto doth He impart,
Blessings and the Father’s favor.
Only seek Him, and possess
Rivers full of blessedness!

5 Now is lightened every cross,
Thanks to Him who helps me bear it;
He to gain turns every loss,
Else hereafter will repair it;
Brief the rod that mercy brings
And from hardship patience springs.

6 Rightly, wondrously He leads,
Over pathways straight or bending
Nothing ill His will impedes,
Ever good for me intending;
Surely shall His wondrous way
Soar to heaven’s gate some day.

7 Venture on His faithful hand
Offerings of love bestowing!
Naught, I know, will always stand
But what from his love is flowing;
I will trust in Jesus’ name:
Ever shall He be the same.

8 Blindly seek, O world, to hoard
Rags and smoke that earth may offer!
As for me, without my Lord,
Nothing here my heart will suffer;
And my task I thus perceive:
My dear Jesus I’ll not leave!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Meinen Jesum, laß ich nicht,
ach was wollt ich Bessers haben?
Ruhe, Freude, Trost und Licht
ist in seinem Schooß begraben.
Alles was Vergnügen giebt,
hab ich, weil mich Jesus liebt.

2 Er ist mein und ich bin sein,
Liebe hat uns so verbunden.
Er ist auch mein Heil allein
durch sein Blut und tiefe Wunden. [nur in seinen tiefen…]
Auf ihn bau ich felsenfest,
voller Hoffnung, die nicht läßt.

3 Ohne Jesum würde mir
nur die Welt zur Hölle werden.
Hab ich ihn, so zeigt er mir
oft den Himmel auf der Erden.
Hungert mich, so setzt er mir,
Brod, wie lauter Manna für.

4 Eine Stunde, da man ihn
recht ins Herze sucht zu schließen,
giebt den seligsten Gewinn,
Gnad und Friede zu genießen.
Ein nach ihm geschickter Blick
Bringt viel tausend Lust zurück.

5 O wie wird mein Kreuz so klein;
weil er mir es selbst hilft tragen, [hilft er mirs doch selber…]
richtet es zum Besten ein;
er will auch nicht immer schlagen;
nach der Ruthe kommt die Huld,
er begehret nur Geduld.

6 Führt er mich gleich wunderlich,
rechts und links, durch Dick und Dünne,
er hat dennoch über mich
immer etwas Guts im Sinne:
Ja, es fürht die Wunderbahn
nirgend hin, als himmelan.

7 Von der treuen Jesushand
offenbart sich lauter Liebe.
Nichts beruht auf Unbestand
bei dem treuen Liebestriebe.
Jesus immer einerlei,
er ist und verbleibet treu.

8 Blinde Welt, such immerhin
Rauch und Taub auf dieser Erden,
Außer Jesu kan mein Sinn
niemals recht vergnüget werden.
Also bleibts bei dieser Pflicht:
Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht.

No comments: