03 January 2023

Herr Jesu Christ, mein Leben

Here is my translation of the Jesus-hymn “Herr Jesu Christ, mein Leben” (Johann Friedreich Sannom, d. ?), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #420, originally appearing in Freylinghausen 1704 “Addition,” later in Porst, Magdeburg, Halberstadt, and Liederschatz, etc. It should not be confused with Ernst Christoph Homburg’s earlier hymns “HJC mein Leben, du trauter Seelengast” and “HJC mein Leben, der du dich hingegeben.” Fischer’s notes on the authorship are noted in my previous translation, also ascribed to “Sannom” and occurring first in the same hymnal. We are to trust, according to Grischow-Kirchner’s Nachricht (Halle, 1771), that the author lived in Offenbach and published, circa 1700, a collection of hymns at eight years of age. The two texts do indeed evince a certain youthful, perhaps even puerile, character, mostly familiar sentiments with little original in content or form. In Schöber, the “puer offenbacensis” is not Sannom but “Diltey.” The appointed melody is “Herr Christ, du einig Gotts Sohn.”




LORD Christ, my Life, my Savior,
My only Confidence!
Let me be Thine forever;
Go not, go not from hence!
Help me to do Thy pleasure,
In ever constant measure;
O Lord, my glory bright!

2 Thy love, O Bridegroom, give me,
My Shelter from all fear!
Grant that I may not grieve Thee,
O Lamb of God most dear!
Oh, let me firmly hold Thee,
And in my heart enfold Thee;
My love Thou dost deserve.

3 Let me in love be burning,
And firmly cling to Thee,
And ne’er from Thee be turning,
Thou art the Best to me.
Oh, Lord, let me die with Thee,
My heirdom then bequeath me
In heaven’s glorious realm.

4 Let me be ever cleaving,
A verdant branch, to Thee.
All else I would be leaving;
Yet do not go from me!
On Thee I’ll be relying
In living and in dying;
Come save Thy needy soon!

5 Lord, be my Life and Savior,
My all, my only Rest;
Let me strive for Thee ever,
And am I ever blest;
Let me to thee be looking,
Nor fellowship be brooking
With those who would us part.

6 In Thee let my assurance,
O Lord, unshaken be;
Let me watch with endurance
And always wait on Thee
And praise Thee with due wonder,
Both here and ever yonder
For all eternity.

7 Oh, come to us, dear Savior;
Yes, come, yes, come indeed!
Let every true believer
From bond and yoke be freed;
O Jesus, come and conquer
The flesh and make me stronger,
To battle by Thy might.

8 My pray’r, O Father, treasure!
My Jesus, hear my plea,
Therein take no displeasure,
My heav’nly Spokesman be;
O Spirit pure and tender,
My heart all peaceful render
To sing Thy praise for aye.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Herr Jesu Christ, mein Leben
und ein'ge Zuversicht:
dir hab ich mich ergeben,
verlaß, verlaß≈ mich nicht!
Ach, laß mich deinen Willen
beständiglich erfüllen,
du miner Seele Zier!

2 Ach, schenk mir deine Liebe,
mein Hort und Bräutigam!
Gieb, daß ich nicht betrübe
dich, werthes Gotteslamm!
Ach, laß mich an dir hangen,
im Herzen dich umfangen;
denn du bist liebenswerth.

3 In Liebe laß mich brennen
und an dir halten fest;
von dir soll mich nichts trennen:
du bist der Allebest.
Ach, laß mich mit dir sterben
und nachmals auch ererben
das Reich der Herrlichkeit.

4 Ach, laß mich allzeit bleiben
ein grüner Reb an dir;
dir will ich mich verschreiben,
ach, weiche nicht von mir.
Ich bleib dir ganz ergeben
im Tod und auch im Leben:
ach, hilf mir Armen bald!

5 Nun, Jesu, sei mein Leben,
mein Alles ganz allein;
nach dir laß mich stets streben,
so werd ich selig sein.
Ach, laß mich dich stets suchen
und Alles das verfluchen,
was mich von dir hält ab.

6 Gieb, daß ich mein Vertrauen
nur setz auf dich allein;
Herr, laß mich auf dich schauen
und warten allzeit dein;
laß mich dich stetig loben
hier und hernach dort oben
in alle Ewigkeit.

7 Mein Heiland, du wollst kommen:
ja komm, ach komme doch!
Erlöse deine Frommen
von allem Band und Joch.
Ach Jesu, komm und dämpfe
das Fleisch; gieb, das ich kämpfe
allein durch deine Kraft.

8 Nun, Vater, hör mein Lallen.
Mein Jesu, meine Bitt
laß dir doch nicht mißfallen,
und selber mich vertritt.
Gott, heilger Geist, erfülle
mein Herz, daß es sei stille
und allzeit lobe dich.


No comments: