27 January 2023

Meines Lebens beste Freude

Here is my translation of the Jesus hymn, “Meines Lebens beste Freude” (Salomon Liscovius, d. 1689), Evang.-Luth. Gesangbuch #478, first appearing in the authors’ Des Christlichen Frauen-Zimmers geistlicher Tugend-Spiegel [Christian women’s spiritual mirror of virtue] (Leipzig, 1672) with the title: “Whatever gives me peace, I know / Doth from my Champion, Jesus, flow.” The first letters of each stanza spell the name “Margareta,” in honor of Liscov’s wife, Margaretha née Nicolai. It is a companion piece to the hymn “Schatz über alle Schätze,” which itself similarly is an acrostic on the author’s name Salomon (which the several English versions do not preserve). The Wisconsin hymnal features a slightly revised text which spoils the acrostic by omitting stanza 6 and transposing the words in st. 8, line 1, so that it reads “Essen, Trinken,” rather than “Trinken, Essen.” As usual, I have attempted to give the original form. The melody is “Gott des Himmels und des Erden.”

 


MY surpassing joy is heaven,
My delight, the heav’nly throne;
There are balm and pasture given
There is Christ, the Father’s Son;
All that truest joy provides
In that majesty resides.

2 All the wealth this world can offer
May give other men delight;
Heaven’s sight alone I suffer,
Clinging to my Jesus tight.
Goods of earth dissolve like sand;
Jesus and His kingdom stand.

3 Richer can no soul be measured
Than the soul that knows its Lord;
All the earthly riches treasured
Are but labor’s vile reward.
Jesus is the Wealth most true
Which can heart and mind renew.

4 Glorious though earth’s splendor seemeth,
Though its pomp delights the eye,
Yet at length no more it gleameth,
Soon its grandeur passes by.
Oft in life what brightly shone
With a sudden flash is gone.

5 Ageless yet is that possession
Which my Jesus keeps for me;
’Twill my heart and spirit freshen
And enrich eternally!
Nevermore shall pass away
Glories in that endless day.

[6 Rust and moth and thief can never
Do that gladness injury
Which my Jesus, faithful Savior,
And His heaven promise me;
There no evils more remain
Which the soul afflict and pain.]

7 Even if these earthly pleasures
Could a thousand eons stay,
’Tis far better than all treasures
With my Lord to dwell a day;
But to be forever set
At His right is choicer yet!

8 To be dining, drinking, dancing
Fails my soul to satisfy;
But to strive, toward heav’n advancing,
On my Lord to train my eye—
Is the spirit’s highest prize,
Far beyond all earthly joys.

9 Ah! my Lord, let me be given
That surpassing joy, I pray!
Thou my pasture sent from heaven,
Feedest me both now and aye;
Yet that joy may perfect be,
Bring me there to dwell with Thee.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Meines Lebens beste Freude
ist der Himmel, Gottes Thron;
meiner Seelen Trost und Weide
ist mein Jesus, Gottes Sohn;
was mein Herze recht erfreut,
ist in jener Herrlichkeit.

2 Andre mögen sich erquicken
an den Gütern dieser Welt,
ich will nach dem Himmel blicken
und zu Jesus seyn gesellt:
denn der Erde Gut vergeht,
Jesus und sein Reich besteht.

3 Reicher kann ich nirgends werden,
als ich schon in Jesus bin,
alle Schätze dieser Erden
Sind ein schnöder Angstgewinn;
Jesus ist das rechte Gut,
das der Seele sanfte thut.

4 Glänzet gleich das Weltgepränge,
ist es lieblich anzusehn,
währt es doch nicht in die Länge
und ist bald damit geschehn:
plötzlich pfleget aus zu sein
dieses Lebens Glanz und Schein.

5 Aber dort des Himmels Gaben,
die mein Jesus inne hat,
können Herz und Seele laben,
machen ewig reich und satt,
es vergeht zu keiner Zeit
jenes Lebens Herrlichkeit.

*6 Rost und Motten, Raub und Feuer,
Schaden auch der Freude nicht,
die mein Jesus, mein Getreuer,
und sein Himmel mir verspricht;
Dort ist alles ausgemerzt,
was die Seele kränkt und schmerzt.

7 Einen Tag bei Jesus sitzen,
ist viel besser als die Welt
tausend Jahr in Freuden nützen.
Aber ewig sein gestellt
zu des Herren rechter Hand,
bleibt ein auserwählter Stand.

8 Essen, Trinken, Tanzen, Springen [Trinken, Essen…]
labet meine Seele nicht,
aber nach dem Himmel ringen
und auf Jesum sein gericht,
ist der Seele schönste Zier,
geht auch aller Freude für.

9 Ach! so gönne mir die Freude,
Jesu, die dein Himmel hegt,
sei du selber meine Weide,
die mich hier und dort verpflegt;
und, bei dir recht froh zu sein,
nimm mich in den Himmel ein!

No comments: