13 January 2023

Jesu, du mein liebstes Leben

Here is my translation of the Jesus hymn, “Jesu, du mein liebstes Leben” (J. J. Rambach), Ev.-Luth. Gsb #436, which in this form first appears in Rambach’s Haus-Gesangbuch (1735). Since it shares the first four lines with Johann Rist’s hymn “Jesu du mein liebstes Leben” (1642), it is often ascribed to Rist. Yet as Fischer says, “aside from the first four lines, it has little in common with the original.” Rist’s hymn, for instance, consists of 13 stanzas fitting the meter of “Sollt ich meinem Gott nicht singen,” thus four more lines per stanza. It is, as may be expected from Rist, much richer, deeper, and better organized. However, it is evidently based on it. Thus wherever I note some similarities, I include below in parentheses the stanza number of Rist’s hymn from which Rambach’s stanza seems to be taken. Yet it is so different that Rist’s hymn really must be treated separately. The appointed melody is “Herr, ich habe mißgehandelt.”

 



JESUS, dearest Life from heaven,
Sweetest Bridegroom unto me,
Who wast for my off’ring given
On the cross, the bitter tree:
Let me with sweet hymns array Thee,
With my soul due honor pay Thee! (1)

2 Thou, O God, art He who gave us
Soul and body, wealth and name;
Thou by angel watch dost save us
In our life and body’s frame;
Therefore to Thy glory solely
Shall my mouth sing praises holy. (13)

3 Jesus, Paradise of gladness,
Which my spirit seeks when chased,
Comfort in all care and sadness,
Fruit of Life with freshest taste:
All my mourning, all my sadness
Thou convertest into gladness. (7)

4 Come, Thou Gentiles’ Consolation,
Come, my Jesus, strengthen me;
Come, refresh with jubilation;
Come and help me graciously;
Come, whom I desire and hope in;
Come, my heart to Thee is open! (3–4)

5 Jesus, rule my work’s beginning,
Jesus, ever stay with me;
Jesus, draw my sense from sinning,
Jesus, Thou my longing be;
Jesus, fill my thoughts forever,
Jesus, let me waver never.

6 Jesus, grant a final blessing
When shall end life’s little year;
In Thy hands my life possessing,
Be my stay when danger’s near;
I’ll embrace Thee joyful-hearted
When this life I have departed. (10)

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Jesu, du mein liebstes Leben,
meiner Seelen Bräutigam,
der du dich für mich gegeben
an des bittern Kreuzesstamm.
jetzt will ich mit süßen Weisen
doch von ganzer Seele preisen.

2 Du bist Gott, der uns gegeben
Seel und Leib, auch Ehr und Gut,
der du unser Leib und Leben
schützest durch der Engel Hut;
drum auch dir allein zu Ehren
sich mein Mund soll lassen hören.

3 Jesu, Paradies der Freuden,
das mein Geist mit Schmerzen sucht,
o du starker Trost im Leiden,
o du frische Lebensfrucht!
Alle Trauern, alles Leiden
wendest du in lauter Freuden.

4 Komm, ach komm, du Trost der Heiden,
komm, mein Jesu, stärke mich;
komm erquicke mich mit Freuden,
komm und hilf mir gnädiglich;
komm mein Wunsch, mein ganzes Hoffen,
komm, mein herze steht dir offen.

5 Jesu, richte mein Beginnen;
Jesu, bleibe stets bei mir;
Jesu, zähme mir die Sinnen;
Jesu, sei nur mein Begier;
Jesu, sei mir in Gedanken;
Jesu, lasse mich nicht wanken.

6 Jesu, laß mich selig enden
weine kurze Lebensjahr;
trage mich stets auf den Händen,
halte bei mir in Gefahr;
freudig will ich dich umfassen,
wenn ich soll die Welt verlassen.



No comments: