05 December 2022

O Vater der Barmherzigkeit, / ich falle dir zu Fuße

Here is my translation of the Repentance hymn “O Vater der Barmherzigkeit / ich falle . . .” (David Denicke, d. 1680), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #363. Fischer notes its first appearance in the Hanover Gsb 1648, and the fact that its first four lines are taken from st. 10 of Johann Heermann’s “Ich armer Sünder komm zu dir,” which in my translation for Walther’s Hymnal (CPH, 2012) runs:

O Father merciful, Most High!
I plead and fall before Thee,
Reject not those who to Thee cry;
Repentant, I implore Thee,

which is slightly altered here. Fischer also calls it “the best and most intimate of the author’s hymns.” It should not be confused with the Christmas Kyrie by Michael Weiße, “O V. d. B., / Born aller Gütigkeit,” (another goes “. . . Wir bitten dich mit Innigkeit”), H. G. Neuß’s Missions hymn “O V. d. B. / der du dir deine Heerden,” J. Rist’s “O V. d. B. / sehr reich von Trost und Gnade,” E. C. Homburg’s “O V. d. B. / O großer Gott von Gnaden,” or D. Peck’s “O V. d. B. / zu dir ich meine Händ ausbreit.” 



O FATHER merciful, Most High!
I humbly fall before Thee;
Reject me not who to Thee cry
And, penitent, implore Thee.
What I against Thee, Lord, have done,
Forgive me, O most gracious One,
Through Thy great grace and goodness.

2 By Thine almighty mastery
Of all my torments mend me,
With Thine own wisdom counsel me,
What I am lacking lend me;
Give me the will and means and might
With Thee to start and end aright
All that I may endeavor.

3 O Jesus Christ, who for all men
And even me didst suffer
And bear the burden of all sin,
Thy mercy to me proffer!
O very God and David’s Son,
Have mercy on Thy lowly one,
Receive my bitter crying.

4 Lord, let Thy wounds’ most precious flood,
Thy pangs of death and dying,
Αvail me for my highest good,
Eternal life supplying;
Pray Thou the Father that He not
In wrath repay me as He ought
And as I justly merit.

5 O Holy Ghost, true Light and Guide,
Who guid’st our thinking ever:
When sin’s desire I feel inside,
Let me from Thee not waver,
But evermore this grace allot,
That lust for wealth or fame may not
My heart o’erwhelm and master.

6 Let me strive faithfully that day
When I this life am leaving,
That by Christ’s victory I may
O’ercome the foe’s deceiving;
THat sickness, grief, and misery,
Yea, death, the final foe, may be
The door to life eternal.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
O Vater der Barmherzigkeit,
ich falle dir zu Fuße;
verstoß den nicht, der zu dir schreit
und thut noch endlich Buße.
Was ich begangen wider dich,
verzeih mir Alles gnädiglich
durch deine große Güte.

2 Durch deiner Allmacht Meisterthat
nimm von mir, was mich quälet;
durch deine Weisheit schaffe Rath,
worinnen mir's sonst fehlet;
gieb Willen, Mittel, Kräft und Stärk,
daß ich mit dir all meine Werk
anfange und vollende.

3 O Jesu Christe, der du hast
am Kreuze für mich Armen
getragen aller Sünden Last;
wollst meiner dich erbarmen!
O wahrer Gott, o Davids Sohn,
erbarm dich mein und meine verschon;
sieh an mein kläglich Rufen.

4 Laß deiner Wunden theures Blut,
dein Todespein und Sterben
mir kommen kräftiglich zu gut,
daß ich nicht muß verderben.
Bitt du den Vater, daß er mir
im Zorn nicht lohne nach Gebühr,
wie ich es hab verschuldet.

5 O heilger Geist, du wahres Licht,
Regierer der Gedanken:
wenn mich der Sünden Lust anficht,
laß mich von dir nicht wanken.
Verleih daß nun und nimmermehr
Begierd nach Reichtthum oder Ehr
in meinem Herzen herrsche.

6 Und wenn mein Stündlein kommen ist,
so hilf mir treulich kämpfen,
daß ich des Satans Trotz und List
durch Christi Sieg mög dämpfen;
auf daß mir Krankheit, Angst und Noth,
und dann der letzte Feind, der Tod,
nur sei die Thür zum leben.

No comments: