16 December 2022

Ich weiß von keinem andern Grunde

Here is my translation of the faith and justification hymn “Ich weiß von keinem andern Grunde” (Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky, d. 1774), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #377, originally from the author’s collection, Die Übung der Gottseligkeit . . . (Halle, 1750), titled: “Of the gentle rest and divine power in Jesus’ death on the cross, blood, and wounds.” The Wisconsin hymnal has a cento consisting of stanzas 1–2, 4–5, 7, 11–13 which I supplement (and correct) from the aforesaid Übung der Gottseligkeit. The appointed melody is “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.”



I KNOW no other true foundation
Than that which faith in Christ doth claim,
No other cov’nant in creation,
No other way, no other name,
Than, poor and bare to take a place
In Jesus’ side and warm embrace.

2 I’ve come unto my blessed Savior,
And more and more to Him make haste;
He’s welcomed me by His good favor,
And in His wounds I find my rest;
He is my prize, my portion dear,
I no salvation know but here.

3 The Father graciously did cleanse me
Of all my false self-righteousness;
With grace and mercy He attends me,
Has robed me in my Savior’s dress,
And not a sin in me doth see,
But only Jesus’ purity.

4 In Christ I’m found, and leaving never,
In Him I’m righteous now and pure;
Within His wounds I dwell forever,
In this way I can be secure;
In Christ the Father seeth me,
What condemnation can there be?

5 While yet I feel my foul transgression,
It cannot hurt me anymore,
In Christ I find my habitation,
Though sin may still oppress me sore;
I count no sin too slight or small,
Lest in complacency I fall.

6 True Wisdom on its ways is guiding,
Sin no more hath the mastery;
Thus in true grace I am abiding,
And still for grace seek hungrily;
There bliss already we may trace,
If we are hungry still for grace.

7 I strive, on faith and Christ relying,
Against my ruin, fall, and loss;
The old man daily must be dying,
Who cleaves, yet living, to his cross,
But this doth make me poor and small
And teacheth me on Christ to call.

8 Sin in our heart too deep is mirèd,
Like so much chaff to toss away;
Oft pain and struggle are requirèd;
Else slav’ry comes another day,
Yea, darkness, recklessness, and hell—
If truly I contend, ’tis well.

9 When I detect the least transgression,
I wash at once in Jesus’ blood,
His strength and pow’r are my possession,
His vict’ry in me works all good.
Without Him I can nothing do;
Therefore He is my Solace true.

10 I seek to stand before Him ever,
Watch Him alone in everything,
His bidding heed in each endeavor,
Lest aught from Him my focus bring.
I always sigh: “Lord, help Thou me
Thy true disciple e’er to be!”

11 And since in Christ I thusly tarry,
Before Him go, Him only see,
The Word of peace forever carry,
And pray to Him unceasingly,
Then am I planted on the Ground
Where yet my increase may be found.

12 Abiding on this basis humble,
I never will from Christ depart,
Nor from the cov’nant stray nor stumble,
To love of all devote my heart;
On Christ alone depending e’er—
My sole foundation shall be there.

13 Lord, in Thy wounds let me inherit
A home whence I need ne’er depart.
Let faith be utmost in my spirit,
And in Thy peace confirm my heart,
Let me be humble, still, awake,
Then naught will my foundation shake.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Ich weiß von keinem andern Grunde,
als den der Glaub in Christo hat;
ich weiß von keinen andern Bunde,
von keinem andern Weg und Rath:
als daß man elend, arm und bloß
sich legt in Christi Seit und Schooß.

2 Ich bin zu meinem Heiland kommen
und eil ihm immer besser zu;
ich bin auch von ihm aufgenommen
und find in seinen Wunden Ruh;
er ist mein Schatz, mein Erb und Theil
und außer ihm weiß ich kein Heil.

**3 Der Vater hat mich ausgezogen
von aller Selbstgerechtigkeit;
nun ist er völlig mir gewogen,
da er in Christum mich gekleidt;
da sieht er keine Sünd an mir,
er sieht nur Christi Schmuck und Zier.

4 Ich bleib in Christo nun erfunden
und bin in ihm gerecht und rein;
ich bleibe stets in seinen Wunden,
so kann ich immer sicher sein;
Gott sieht mich auch in Christo an,–
wer ist's, der mich verdammen kann? [Daher mich nichts…kann.]

5 Ich fühle noch in mir die Sünde; […zwar noch in mir…]
doch schaden kann sie mir nicht mehr, [allein die schadet…]
weil ich in Christo mich befinde; [dieweil ich mich in Christo…]
wohl aber beuget sie mich sehr. [doch aber…]
Ich halte nichts gering und klein, [und halt ich…]
sonst dringt ein sichres Wesen ein.

**6 Die Weisheit führt mich ihre Pfade;
die Sünde herrscht nicht mehr in mir;
so steh ich in der rechten Gnade,
und hungre doch noch mehr nach ihr;
da tritt die Seligkeit schon ein,
wenn wir nur Gnaden-hungrig sein.

7 Ich kämpfe gegen mein Verderben
im Glauben und in Christi Kraft; [doch gläubig…]
der alte Mensch muß täglich sterben,
der noch nicht todt an Kreuze hafft.
dies aber macht mich arm und klein [Jedoch dies…]
und lehrt nach Christo ernstlich schrein.

**8 Die Sünd ist allzu tief im Herzen,
nicht abzuschütten, wie die Spreu.
Es kostet oft noch Kampf und Schmerzen;
sonst folget wieder Sklaverei,
ja Finsterneis und leichter Sinn;
wohl mir, so ich recht kämpfend bin.

**9 So bald ich nur das mindste merke,
so wasch ich mich in seinem Blut,
und zieh aus ihm auch Kraft und Stärke,
die in mir siegt und alles thut.
Denn ohne ihn kann ich nichts thun;
drum will ich immer in ihm ruhn.

**10 Ich suche stets vor ihm zu stehen,
und seh in allem ihn nur an,
nach seinem Wink einherzugehen,
daß nichts mein Ziel verrücken kann.
Ich seufze stets: Herr, steh mir bei,
daß ich dein rechter Jünger sei.

11 Und da ich so in Christo bleibe,
stets vor ihm wandelnd auf ihn seh,
das Wort des Friedens fröhlich treibe […immer treibe]
und unablässig zu ihm fleh,
so bleib ich stets im Grunde stehn;
da kann mein Wachsthum vor sich gehn.

12 Ich bleib im tiefsten Demuthsgrunde
und will von Christo nimmer gehn; […aus Christo…]
ich bleib im allgemeinen Bunde,
in allgemeiner Liebe stehn,
und hang an Christo ganz allein;
dies soll mein Grund auf ewig sein.

13 O Jesu, laß mich in dir bleiben [O ja, Herr!…]
und nie aus deinen Wunden gehn.
Laß mich den Geist des Glaubens treiben
und fest in deinem Frieden stehn;
stets wachsam, still und niedrig sein,
So reißet nichts den Grund mir ein.

No comments: