02 December 2022

Ach was hab ich ausgerichtet

Here is my translation of the Repentance hymn, “Ach was hab ich ausgerichtet” (Gottfried Wilhelm Sacer, d. 1699), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #355. Appearing in the author’s posthumous Geistliche liebliche Lieder (Gotha, 1714) prepared by Nitsch, with the title: “For true repentance in great anguish and fearfulness,” earlier occurrences include Leipzig 1673, Nuremberg 1676. The appointed melody is “Zion klagt mit Angst und Schmerzen.”

 



LORD, alas! I have offended!
Lord, what evil I have wrought!
How shall my offense be mended?
For my conscience ceases not
To accuse me openly;
Conflict wars inside of me,
Since God’s laws I thus have spited,
And the Most High’s wrath invited!

2 God, I must confess with trembling,
I a slave of sin abide;
Close I feel Thy plagues assembling,
But Thou, Thou art justified:
My corrupted flesh and blood
Hath despised the highest Good
By the devil’s foul deceiving,
For vain joys Thy pathway leaving.

3 At the first I took great pleasure
In my heavy load of sin;
Now, repenting, find no leisure,
No relief or peace within:
What before was my delight
Leaves me now in fear and fright;
By what first the body quickened
Is the soul now wholly sickened.

4 Many years thus having wandered
On the hateful erring way,
Blessings of Thy path I squandered
With the wicked flock astray;
Heaven’s portal never sought,
Never, never felt or got
For my sinning any sorrow!
Where shall I deliv’rance borrow?

5 God, I should have looked to heaven,
But my eye was turned below.
By what madness I was driven,
That I should forsake Thee so!
I deserve Thy wrath, O Lord,
And Thy stern and thundrous word,
Soul and body hence to sever,
Yea, in hell to cast me ever.

6 Cursèd be all earthly pleasures
Which from founts of sin proceed!
Cursèd be the empty treasures
Which to hellish torments lead!
Curst the times I did pursue
Sinful things to think and do!
Yea, those hours be ever cursèd,
When I wicked passions nursèd!

7 Sin, thy crushing weight hath tried me,
Heavy as the tow’ring cliffs!
Nothing clean I find inside me;
To my soul what grief it gives!
God, Thy wrath hath frightened me:
Who can give me remedy?
There is naught in all creation
That can mend my depravation!

8 In Thy hands, O Lord, it resteth,
Thou alone in woe canst save,
Thou canst heal what me molesteth,
Thou deliver from the grave.
All doth rest alone with Thee,
No man else can succor me;
Thou canst graciously renew me
And with endless joy imbue me.

9 I condemn my soul and body;
Speak, O Lord, Thy word of grace;
Here I kneel to praise and laud Thee,
Praying for Thy kind embrace;
Strengthen me, who feebly lie,
Mercy let o’er justice fly,
If to judgment Thou shalt enter,
How shall stand the best repenter?

10 Lo, the tools of Jesus’ glory
In the midst of us I place,
And his death I hold before Thee,
Let this gain for me all grace.
I believe unfailingly,
That because Thy Son for me
Suffered, died for my salvation,
I too shall escape damnation.

11 Thou to us hast pledges given
Of Thy heartfelt gracious love,
Hence we raise our thanks to heaven,
For Thy oath, all oaths above;
Comfort Thou wouldst men allot,
Sinners’ death desirest not,
Life eternal wilt provide them
Who but suffer Thee to guide them.

12 If the younger, wanton brother
At his plea was mercy shown
When he turned back to his father:
Oh, then from Thy heav’nly throne
Look, a broken heart I bring,
Full of true contrition’s sting,
Seeking, longing for Thy favor—
This Thou hast despisèd never.

13 Let the angels sing for gladness,
That a sinner doth repent.
While I bear this earthly sadness,
I my errors will lament,
Scorn, and flee, and shun for good
What once pleased the flesh and blood,
And deceived it with false pleasure.
Thou shalt be my highest treasure.

14 Give me, God, Thy kind assistance
And the Spirit’s pow’r as well,
Harden thus my weak resistance
To the way that leads to hell.
God, I turn in need to Thee,
Turn Thou also unto me,
Then I’lll sing to spread Thy glory
And forevermore adore Thee.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach was hab ich angerichtet? […ausgerichtet]
Ach was hab ich doch gethan?
Wer ist, der die Sache schlichtet?
Mein Gewissen klagt mich an;
ich bin selber wider mich,
weil ich also freventlich
mich mit Lastern so beflecket,
und des Höchsten Zorn erwecket.

2 Gott, ich muß mit Zittern sagen,
daß ich sei ein Sündenknecht,
jetzund fühl ich deine Plagen,
aber du, du bist gerecht:
Mein verderbtes Fleisch und Blut
gat das rechte wahre Gut
durch des Teufels Trieb verachtet,
und den Lüsten nachgetrachtet.

3 Vorhin hab ich mich erfreuet
meiner schweren Sündenlast:
jetzo, da mich solches reuet,
hab ich weder Ruh noch Rast:
was mich vorhin hat ergötzt,
hat mich jezt in Angst gesetzt;
was vorhin den Leib erquicket,
ist, das jetzt die Seele drücket.

4 So viel Jahr bin ich gelaufen
den verhaßten Irreweg;
und mit dem verruchten Haufen
ausgesetzt den guten Steg,
der zur Himmelspforte führt:
nie, ach, nie hab ich verspürt
eine Reue meiner Sünden;
Wo soll ich nun Rettung finden?

5 Gott, ich soll gen Himmel sehen,
aber ich sah unter mich:
wie ist mir, mein Gott, geschehen,
daß ich so verlassen dich?
Ich bin werth, daß mich dein Grimm
mit erzürnter Donnerstimm
möcht in tausend Trümmer schlagen,
ja zur Höllen ewig jagen.

6 Alle Freude sei verfluchet,
so von Sünden hergerührt;
diese Zeit, da ich gesuchet,
was mir Höllenangst gebiert,
was wir Gottes Wort verbeut,
sei verflucht in Ewigkeit;
Ewig sei'n veflucht die Stunden,
da ich Sündenlust empfunden.

7 O wie bist du, Sünde, Sünde,
eine Last, wie Felsen schwer!
An mir ich nichts Reines finde,
wie kränkt mich doch das so sehr!
Gott, dein Zorn hat mich geschreckt:
Ach, wer ist der mich versteckt?
Keine Kreatur kann rathen
meinen schweren Missethaten.

8 Herr, es steht in deinen Händen,
du alleine hilfst aus Noth;
du kannst meinen Jammer wenden,
du kannst retten aus dem Tod.
Es steht nur allein bei dir,
Niemand kann sonst helfen mir;
du kannst gnädig mich verneuen
und in Ewigkeit erfreuen.

9 Ich verdamme Seel und Glieder:
sprich du sie in Gnaden los,
bittend fall ich vor dir nieder:
nimm du mich in deinen Schooß,
Stärk mich, der ich abgeschwächt,
laß Genade gehn für Recht:
wirst du in's Gerichte gehen,
Herr, wer kann vor dir bestehen?

10 Deines Sohnes Marterzeichen
stell ich zwischen mir und dir,
laß mich hiermit Gnad erreichen.
Seinen Tod halt ich dir für,
glaube steif und festiglich,
daß weil Jesus auch für mich
hat gelitten, ist gestorben:
ich auch soll seyn unverdorben.

11 Du hast uns gewiß verheißen
herzliche Barmherzigkeit;
dafür sollen wir dich preisen;
denk an deinen theuren Eid,
der den Sündern Trost verspricht;
du wilst ihren Tod ja nicht,
Leben willst du ihnen schenken,
wenn sie sich nur zu dir lenken.

12 Herr, so sei nun auch erhöret,
bitt ich, der verlorne Sohn,
der zu seinem Vater kehret:
Blicke von des Himmelsthron!
Ich bring ein zerknirschtes Herz,
voller Reue, voller Schmerz,
das nach deiner Gnade trachtet:
solches hast du nie verachtet.

13 Laß die Engel fröhlich werden,
daß ein Sünder Buße thut.
Weil ich lebe auf der Erden,
will ich dies, was Fleisch und Blut
hat bisher so hoch geacht,
was mich fälschlich angelacht,
hassen, fliehen, ernstlich meiden
und mich gänzlich dir vereiden.

14 Wirst du mir zur Seite stehen,
durch des guten Geistes Kraft
will ich nicht, wie vormals gehen
den Weg, der zur Hölle rafft.
Gott, ich kehre mich zu dir:
kehre du dich auch zu mir;
dafür will ich deinen Namen
ewig loben, Amen, Amen!



No comments: