17 December 2022

Ich bin im Himmel angeschrieben / ich bin ein Kind der Seligkeit

Here is my translation of the justification hymn, “Ich bin im Himmel angeschrieben (/ ich bin ein Kind der Seligkeit)” (Salomo Franck, d. 1725), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #384, first in the author’s Geist- und Weltlicher Poesien (Jena, 1716) and not to be confused with Joh. Dan. Hense’s redemption hymn, “Ich bin im Himmel angeschrieben / und Gottes kindern zugezählt” (also in Ev.-Luth. Gsb #97). Fischer notes that our hymn was mistakenly ascribed to Joh. Ernst Wenigk in Rambach’s hymnal of 1735. The Wisconsin hymnal omits the stanza 3 (too heavy on poetic conceit and morbid imagery for Rationalists?) and shows some other alterations (original readings in square brackets). The appointed melody is “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.”



I KNOW my name in heav’n is written,
And I’m a child of blessedness;
What care I, then, though often smitten
By sin and by this world’s distress?
I know my destiny was laid
In Christ before the world was made.

2 The Lamb with His own lifeblood stained me,
And in Life’s Book recorded me,
He every good and blessing gained me,
From death and curse He set me free.
What torment can my heart be giv’n?
I am predestined unto heav’n.

3 What if the Law’s fierce tempest rages?
The Book of Life dispels all fear!
The wounds of Christ, its crimson pages;
Its words, the worthy nails and spear.
There to my comfort I may read:
“Thee have I loved in word and deed.”

4 Though countless debts I see recorded
Within sin’s black and awful book,
By Jesus I am grace afforded,
Upon the rolls of Life to look,
Where my election I behold,—
My name among His chosen fold!

5 With Jesus I’ll depart unshaken,
Faith’s wedding garment I will dye
With blood that from the Lamb was taken,
And enter into bliss on high
And find the greater banquet there–
O glad election, grace most fair!

No fiend shall steal this consolation:
That I was chosen ere the start,
In Jesus’ blood I have salvation
By grace through faith wrought in the heart;
On this I’ll live and die some day,
On Christ I will conclude life’s way.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich bin im Himmel angeschrieben;
ich bin ein Kind der Seligkeit.
Was kann die Sünde mich betrüben
und alles Leiden dieser Zeit?
Ich weiß, daß ich von Anbeginn
in Christo auserwählet bin.

2 Das Lamm hat mich mit seinem Blute
gezeichnet in des Lebens Buch, […das Lebensbuch]
und mir erlanget alles Gute,
Erlösung von dem Tod und Fluch.
Was ist's doch, was mein Herze quält? [ist]
Ich bin zum Himmel auserwählt.

**3 Was schreckt mich des Gesetzes Wetter?
Ich seh ins Lebensbuch hinein,
Wo Christi Wunden rothe Blätter,
die Schriften Speer und Nägel sein;
Hier les ich was mir Tröstung giebt:
“Dich hab ich je und je geliebt!”

4 Obgleich im schwarzen Buch der Sünden
viel Schulden aufgeschrieben stehn, [Mein Schuldregister noch so voll]
läßt Jesus mich doch Gnade finden
und läßt das Lebensbuch mich sehn; [Er zeigt das Lebensprotocoll]
da schau ich meine Gnadenwahl [Da seh…]
und steh in seiner Kinder Zahl.

5 Auf Jesum will ich fröhlich sterben:
ich will des Glaubens Hochzeitsleib
nur in des Lammes Blute färben,
so geh ich ein zur Seligkeit
und zu dem großen Abendmahl.
O freudenvolle Gnadenwahl!

6 Kein Teufel soll den Trost mir rauben,
daß ich erwählt von Anbeginn,
daß ich aus Gnaden durch den glauben
an Christi Blut erlöset bin.
So leb ich denn und strebe drauf:
Auf Christum schließ ich meinen Lauf.

No comments: