01 December 2022

Ich will von meiner Missethat (supplement)

Here is my supplement for (and presented with) Miss Anna Hoppe’s translation of the Repentance hymn, “Ich will von meiner Missethat” (Anonymous, ascribed to Luise Henriette née van Oranje, Electress of Brandenburg, d. 1667), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #350, originally in the Berlin hymnal 1653 (D. M. Luthers und anderer . . . Lieder und Psalmen). Though ascribed to a staunch Calvinist of Dutch origin, it is a meditation on psalms, esp. Psalm 139, is suggestive of Lutheran hymns “Es ist das Heil” and “Nun freut euch,” among others, and was included in Crüger’s Praxis (1656), Freylinghausen (1714) and a number of other Lutheran hymnals.. In any case, Fischer hesitates conclusively to name Luise Henriette as the authoress (who wrote “Jesus meine Zuversicht,” “Jesus Christ, My Sure Defense”) merely on the basis of the preface to the aforesaid Berlin hymnal, which nevertheless satisfied Bachmann and Pischon in the 19th c. While translating the missing stanzas, I noted a deficiency or difficulty in what I take to be Hoppe’s translation of the 12th stanza, which while good in the cento, obscures the psalmodic references and, if the hymn is sung in full, creates a more jarring transition from the previous stanza. Therefore, especially for the full form of the hymn, I have provided an alternate 12th stanza.  The appointed melody is “Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir.”

 


I WILL return unto the Lord
From pathways of transgression.
My God, to me Thy help afford.
Hear Thou my heart’s confession.
Let Thy blest Spirit’s strength divine,
Create anew this heart of mine;
Grant me, through grace, this blessing!

2 Man fails to see His wretched plight, -
So blind is his condition.
Without Thy Holy Spirit’s light,
Sin leads him to perdition.
Corrupt in thought, and word, and deed,
Filled with distress, I come, and plead:
“O Father mine, relieve me!”

3 Knock at my door, and make me feel
My sinfulness and blindness.
The evil I have done reveal,
Win Thou my heart with kindness.
Then, as I comprehend my woe,
Dear Father, let my cheeks o’erflow
With tears of true contrition.

4 To me Thou mak’st the riches flow
Of bounteous grace and favor,
My life but to Thy hand I owe,
Which hath supplied me ever
With honor, health, and bread, and peace,
Thou hast ordained that no distress
Hath had the pow’r to hurt me.

5 In Christ Thou also chosest me
From out of hell’s abysses,
And every good I have from Thee,
My soul no bounty misses,
And since I am to be Thine own,
Thou hast Thy faithfulness made known
And as a father chastened.

6 Who ever doth to children give
What Thou to me hast given?
Yet do I in obedience live?
My conscience cries to heaven,
My heart finds nothing sound in me;
A thousand sins have savagely
My mortal wound inflicted.

7 My actions from my infancy
And all my evils ever
Accuse me all too openly.
Where may this wretch find favor?
For here, O Lord, I have discerned
Thy fearsome judgment which I’ve earned,
Thy vengeance of damnation.

8 Alas, I tremble to confess
My vile abomination,
My sins all bound and scale transgress
Beyond enumeration;
There is not one however slight
For which alone it were not right
That I should burn forever.

9 Until this day at ease I’ve slept,
Complacent and uncaring,
And said, “Long seasons yet are left,
God’s rod is slow and sparing;
He deals not sternly with our sins,
His wrath ne’er hastily begins,
With sheep the Shepherd’s patient.”

10 My heart is wakened with a sting,
And soon would burst asunder;
I see Thy flames now threatening,
I hear Thy furious thunder;
Against me doth Thy hand impel
The kingdoms both of death and hell,
All ready to devour me.

11 What shall I do in such dismay?
No bar or gate can hide me!
O whither shall I flee away?
O rosy dawn, provide me
With wings to fly! Remove me, sea!
Plunge down, O cliffs, and cover me,
Fall down, O hills and mountains!

12 Thy grace in Christ hath rescued me,
From flames of hell I’m riven.
Naught have I lacked. Thy love so free
All good to me hath given.
That I might be forever Thine,
Thy faithfulness, O Father mine,
Spared not the rod to save me!

[12v. ’Tis all in vain! Yea, if I could
Be into heav’n ascending,
Or shun the realms of endless good,
To hell’s deep caverns wending,
Yet still Thy hand would find me there,
And of the sins and shame I bear
Would testify against me.]

13 Lord Jesus, to Thy wounds I flee,
In thy blest shelter hide me!
Thy anguish was endured for me,
My guilt has crucified Thee!
On Thee was laid the world’s vast load
Of sin, and Thou, blest Lamb of God,
Most willingly didst bear it.

14 Oh, wash me in Thy streams that flow
From Thy most holy Passion,
And with Thy robe like spotless snow
Make white all my transgression;
Lord, by Thy cross and grievous fate,
The bones which Thou hast crushed elate
With joys of Thy consoling.

15 Garbed in Thy robe of righteousness,
The Father will receive me.
In love’s paternal tenderness
His counsel He will give me.
He knows the traps the world doth lay,
He knows that Satan day by day,
Doth labor to ensnare me.

16 Henceforth from evil will I flee,
And shun the world’s temptation.
Let Thy blest Spirit dwell in me,
Revealing Thy salvation.
His strength can stem the pow’r of sin,
Whate’er displeaseth Thee within,
May I forever banish.

Stanzas 1–3, 12–14, 16 tr. Anna Hoppe.
Translation sts. 4–11, 12v, 15 © 2022 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

1 Ich will von meiner Missethat
zum Herren mich bekehren:
du wollest selbst mir Hülf und Rath
hierzu, o Gott, bescheren,
und deines guten Geistes Kraft,
der neue Herzen in uns schafft,
aus Gnaden mir gewähren.

2 Natürlich kann ein Mensch doch nicht
sein Elend selbst empfinden;
er ist ohn deines Wortes Licht
blind, taub und tod in Sünden:
verkehrt ist Will, Verstand und Thun;
des großen Jammers komm mich nun,
o Vater, zu entbinden.

3 Klopf durch Erkenntniß bei mir an,
und führ mir wohl zu Sinnen,
was Böses ich vor dir gethan,
du kannst mein Herz gewinnen:
daß ich aus Kummer und Beschwer
laß über meine Wangen her
viel heiße Thränen rinnen.

4 Wie hast du doch auf mich gewandt
den Reichthum deiner Gnaden.
Mein Leben dank ich deiner Hand,
die hat mich überladen
mit Ruh, Gesundheit, Ehr und Brod:
du machst, daß mir noch keine Noth
bis hieher können schaden.

5 Hast auch in Christo mich erwählt
tief aus der Höllen Fluten,
so daß es niemals nur gefehlt
an irgend einem Guten;
und daß ich ja dein eigen sei,
hast du, mich auch aus bloßer Treu
gestäupt mit Vaterruthen.

6 Wer giebt den Kindern, was du mir
gegeben zu genießen?
Schenk aber ich Gehorsam dir?
das zeuget mein Gewissen,
mein Herz, in welchem nichts gesund,
das tausend Sünden haben wund
bis auf den Tod zerrissen.

7 Die Thorheit meiner jungen Jahr
und alle schnöde Sachen,
verklagen mich zu offenbar,
was soll ich Armer machen?
Sie stellen, Herr, mir vors Gesicht
Dein unerträglichs Zorngericht
und deiner Höllen Rachen.

8 Ach meine Gräuel allzumal
schäm ich mich zu bekennen;
ich ist ihr weder Maaß noch Zahl,
ich weiß sie kaum zu nennen,
und ist ihr keiner doch so klein,
um welches willen nicht allein
ich ewig müßte brennen.

9 Bisher hab ich in Sicherheit
ganz unbesorgt beschlafen,
gesagt: Es hat noch lange Zeit,
Gott pflegt nicht bald zu strafen;
er fähret nicht mit unsrer Schuld
so strenge fort, es hat Geduld
dir Hirt mit seinen Schaafen.

10 Dies Alles jetzt zugleich erwacht,
mein Herz will mir zerspringen;
ich sehe deines Donners Macht,
dein Feur auf mich dringen;
du regest wider mich zugleich
des Todes und der Höllen Reich,
die wollen mich verschlingen.

11 Wo bleib ich denn in solcher Noth?
Nichts helfen Thor und Riegel;
wo flieh ich hin? Du Morgenroth,
ertheil mir deine Flügel:
verbirg mich wo, du fernes Meer!
Stürzt hoch herab fallt auf mich her,
ihr Klippen, Berg und Hügel!

12 Ach nur umsonst, und könnt ich gleich,
bis in den Himmel steigen,
und wieder in der Höllen Reich
mich zu verkriechen neigen;
so würde mich doch deine Hand
da finden und von meiner Schand
und großen Sünden zeugen.

13 Herr Jesu, nimm mich zu dir ein,
ich flieh in deine Wunden,
dir du, o Heiland, wegen mein
am Kreuze hast empfunden,
als unser aller Sündenmüh dir,
o du GottesLamm, ward hie
zu tragen, aufgebunden.

14 Wasch mich durch deinen Todesschweiß
und purpurrothes Leiden,
und laß mich sauber sein und weiß
durch deiner Unschuld Seiden.
Von wegen deiner Kreuzeslast
erquick, was du zermalmet hast,
mit deines Trostes Freuden.

15 So angethan, will ich mich hin
vor deinen Vater machen;
ich weiß, er lenket seinen Sinn,
und schaffet Rath mir Schwachen;
er weiß, was Fleischeslust und Welt,
und Satan uns für Netze stellt,
die uns zu stürzen wachen.

16 Wie werd ich mich mein leben lang
vor solcher Plage scheuen,
durch deines guten Geistes Zwang,
den du mir wollst verleihen,
daß er von aller Sündenlist
und dem, was dir zuwider ist,
helf ewig mich befreien.

No comments: