04 December 2022

Brunnquell aller Gütigkeit

Here is my translation of the repentance hymn “Brunnquell aller Gütigkeit” (Salomo Franck, 1711), from Ev.-Luth. Gsb #360. No author is given there, only the indication “Lüneburger Gesangbuch” likely the source from which it came into the Pennsylvania Ev. Gsb. Fischer does not know of it. Of older books, it is referenced, i.a., already in König’s Harmonischer Liederschatz (1750). Wetzel lists a hymn by this title among the hymns of Fruitbearer Salomo Franck (d. 1725) included in his 8th edition of Geist- und Weltlichen Poesien (Jena, 1711). Various hymnals of the 1730s-50s include titles such as “Anguish of sin, Longing for Grace” and indicate the melody “Schwing dich auf.” Schircks’ (Geistliche Sänger . . . Halle, 1855) edition of German hymns in their original form also includes the text and title from Franck’s book with the title “Repentance Hymn in which the poor sinner likens himself to the Prodigal Son and prays the heavenly Father for grace (Luke 15:11–32). Mel. Jesu Leiden Pein und Tod. Printed 1711.” As usual, I indicate in square brackets the earlier readings departing from that in the Wisconsin hymnal, which incidentally indicates the melody “Christus der uns selig macht.” A new tune is also found in the Evangelisches Gesangbuch mit vierstimmigen Melodien (1894).






FOUNTAIN of all goodness Thou,
Father ever gracious!
See my heart so burdened bow
Under weights vexatious;
As the wayward son I go,
As sin’s child I waver;
Pay me back not as I owe,—
Oh, let me find favor!

2 I am filled with grief and pain
Since I’ve hurt so cru’lly
Thy true father-heart again,
Which doth love me truly.
Day and night in sin I’ve spent
In all vice have wandered;
All the bounties by Thee lent
I have vainly squandered.

3 Lo, my sin I ever see,
Which I sought half-witted;
In the sight of heav’n and Thee
I have crimes committed;
Father, Thou wouldst save me now,
Yet my sins appall me!
I cannot deserve that Thou
Thy own child shouldst call me.

4 Father, Thou art rich in grace,
Fervent in forgiving:
Let me take a servant’s place,
Let this wretch keep living!
Let the starving soul be fed,
Which in famine pineth,
Give to me Thy mercy-bread,
Ere my heart declineth.

5 Father, nothing I possess,
Naked fall before Thee.
Great is e’er Thy faithfulness;
Help me, I implore Thee,
If Thy comfort not be shown,
In my sin I languish;
Let Thy kiss of love be known
To my soul in anguish.

6 Give my hand of faith the ring
Of Thy Holy Spirit,
Grant this pledge of love may bring
Comfort of Thy merit;
Deign Thyself to place the shoe,
On my foot, O Father,
That I may Thy way pursue
And desire none other.

7 Fit me with the garment fair
Which Thy Son supplièd
When in mercy, poor and bare,
For the world He dièd.
Of Thy feast of grace and love
Let me taste and savor,
Which against all grief shall prove
My refreshment ever.

8 Lord my God! Cast me not off,
Father of all merit!
For Thy heart doth break with love;
Soothe my mind and spirit,
Save me from sin’s torments dread
Yet my heart aggrieving;
Say: “My Son, thou once wast dead,
And again art living.”

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Brunnquell aller Gütigkeit,
Vater aller Gnaden!
sieh doch auf das schwere Leid, [Siehe doch das…]
das mein Herz beladen.
Ich bin der verlorne Sohn,
und das Kind der Sünden.
Gieb mir nicht verdienten Lohn,
laß mich Gnade finden.

2 Ach! ich fühle Qual und Schmerz;
weil ich so betrübet
dein getreues Vaterherz,
das mich so geliebet. [das mich brünstig liebet]
Ach! ich habe Tag und Nacht
in dem Lasterleben
alle Güter durchgebracht,
die du mir gegeben.

3 Meine Sünd ist stets vor mir, […bei mir]
der ich nachgewandelt;
wider dich, Herr! und vor dir [in dem Himmel und für Dir]
hab ich mißgehandelt,
Vater, der mein Heil begehrt;
dir will ich bekennen:
Vater, ach! ich bin nicht werth,
mich dein Kind zu nennen.

4 Vater, der an Gnade reich,
brünstig im Erbarmen!
Mache mich den Knechten gleich,
hilf, ach hilf mir Armen!
Siehe doch die Hungersnoth,
die die Seele plaget.
Reiche mir dein Gnadenbrod,
eh mein Herz verzaget.

5 Sieh, ich falle nackt und bloß,
Vater! vor dir nieder.
Deine Treu ist ewig groß,
tröste mich doch wieder;
weil ich sonst verschmachten muß
in der Angst der Sünden.
Laß den süßen Liebeskuß
meine Seel empfinden.

6 Ziere meine Glaubenshand
mit des Geistes Ringe:
gieb, daß mir dies Liebespfand
Trost und Freude bringe; [daß es Trost mir…]
meinen Fuß bereite du, [lege Du mir selber an,]
deine Bahn zu gehen; [Vater ! solche Schuhe]
führ ihn nach dem Himmel zu, [daß ich geh auf deiner Bahn]
dies ist, Herr! mein Flehen. [emsig sonder Ruhe.]

7 Schenke mir das schöne Kleid,
das dein Sohn erworben,
als er aus Barmherzigkeit
für die Welt gestorben. [vor…]
Laß dein theures Gnadenmahl [laß dein Lieb- und…]
mich im Glauben schmecken,
und mir wider alle Qual
Freud und Trost erwecken.

8 Herr, mein Gott! verwirf mich nicht,
Vater aller Güte,
dessen Herz aus Liebe bricht!
Tröste mein Gemüthe.
Hilf mir aus der Sündennoth,
die mein Herz umgeben.
Sprich: Mein Sohn! du warest todt,
und sollst wieder leben.

No comments: