21 December 2022

Ich bin getrost und freue mich

Here is my translation of the faith hymn, “Ich bin getrost und freue mich” (Anon., 1714?), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #388. Fischer calls it a hymn on “the peace of God” (Fried- occurs 6 times) and finds it anonymous in Freylinghausen 1714 and Grischow-Kirchner, Nachricht . . . (Halle, 1771), and dismisses the ascription to Ernst Christian Philippi (d. 1736), who regularly marked his own hymns in the Merseburg Gsb 1716. The earlier melody “Durch Adams Fall” is in the Wisc. Hymnal displaced by “Was mein Gott will, das gscheh allzeit.”



MY heart is glad and full of joy,
For I have found my Savior,
Within His lap and wounds I lie,
Secure and safe forever.
This is the place where sin nor hell
Nor death may terrify me.
Because in Christ content I dwell,
His pow’r doth all supply me.

2 “I am all thine,” He calls to me,
“And for my own receive thee;
From all thy pain I set thee free,
Glad hymns of peace I give thee.
My joy I give thee in distress
And lift thee when thou pinest;
I give Myself to be thy dress—
Fair as the sun thou shinest.

3 Who then would from my Jesus’ love
Withhold or drive me ever?
To those who would my guilt reprove
I show the suff’ring Savior.
This doth, as my sure guarantee,
My conscience disencumber;
His peace my precious spoils must be,
My shield and bed of slumber.

4 I thank Thee, Jesus, God’s own Son,
Our peace’s true Regainer,
That Thou art come from heaven’s throne
As Victor and Restrainer
Of all that would disturb the peace—
My heart be, by Thy guiding,
A house where peace may never cease:
Be Thou my Peace abiding!

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich bin getrost und freue mich,
weil ich hab Jesum funden.
Ich lieg und schlafe sicherlich
in seinem Schooß und Wunden.
Dies ist der Ort, allwo mich nicht.
Sünd, Tod und Hölle schrecket:
weil mir in Christo nichts gebricht
und sine Macht mich decket.

2 Er ruft mir zu: Ich bin ganz dein,
und du bist mein hinwieder:
ich mache dich frey aller Pein:
drum singe Friedenslieder.
Ich fülle dich mit Trost und Freud […meiner Freud]
und kröne dich mit Wonne;
ich gebe mich dir selbst zum Kleid:
du bist schön wie die Sonne.

3 Wer will mich nun aus Christi Huld
verstoßen und vertreiben?
Wer mir beimisset eine Schuld,
dem halt ich vor sein Leiden.
Dies stellet mich in Sicherheit
und stillet mein Gewissen;
den Frieden kriege ich zur Beut,
zum Schild und sanften Kissen.

4 Hab Dank, o Jesu, Gottes Sohn,
du Friedenswiederbringer!
daß du herab von deinem Thron
Bist kommen als Bezwinger
deß Allen, was den Frieden stört:
ach laß mein Herz doch werden
zum Tempel, da der Fried einkehrt;
sei selbst mein Fried auf Erden.

No comments: