18 December 2022

Christi Blut und Gerechtigkeit / ist meines Glaubens Sicherheit

Here is my translation of the justification hymn, “Christi Blut und Gerechtigkeit (/ ist meines Glaubens Sicherheit)” (Erdmann Neumeister, d. 1759), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #385, each stanza beginning with lines 3–6 of Paul Eber’s (?) hymn “In Christi Wunden schlaf ich ein” (see TLH 585, stanza 2), which of course also inspired Zinzendorf’s famous hymn, “Christi Blut und Gerechtigkeit,” widespread in English circles under Wesley’s rendering, “Jesus, Thy Blood and Righteousness” (which first appears around 1725, thus after Neumeister’s homage). Here I take Emanuel Cronenwett’s rendering of Zinzendorf’s hymn (which is a literal reproduction of Eber’s lines) for my basis, not least because it more aptly fits Neumeister’s text than Winkworth’s similar rendering of the text ascribed to Eber. Fischer finds his hymn first in his Evangelischer Nachklang II (Hamburg, 1729) for the Sixth Sunday after Trinity, though it appears earlier in his Zugang zum Gnaden-Stuhl Jesu Christo (Hamburg, 1710) for the same Sunday. The appointed melody is “Vater unser im Himmelreich.”



CHRIST’S crimson blood and righteousness
Assure my faith in all distress;
Whene’er the Law my sin doth seek
And curse and judgment on me speak,
Then saith my Savior, Go thou free,
And condemnation flies from me.

2 My beauty these, my spotless dress,
My greatest glory I possess:
In Jesus Christ I am arrayed
Who for me satisfaction made;
Thus to His glory, all He’s done
And merited is made my own.

3 In these before my God I’ll stand
Elect, and just, with beauty grand.
The Father is so fond and mild,
He kisseth me as His dear child—
Yea, He salvation did prepare
And made me evermore its heir.

4 I’ll enter heav’n, my fatherland,
Where, high exalted by His hand,
With joy I’ll join the heav’nly angel choir,
In praises that shall ne’er expire,
And meanwhile here for all my days
Give Him laud, worship, thanks, and praise.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Christi Blut und Gerechtigkeit
ist meines Glaubens Sicherheit.
Wenn das Gesetz die Sünde sucht,
und mich verdammet und verflucht,
so spricht mich da mein Heiland frei,
das nichts Verdammlich's an mir sei.

2 Das ist mein Schmuck und Ehrenkleid
zu meiner größten Herrlichkeit:
ich ziehe Jesum Christum an,
wie er für mich hat gnug gethan;
so ist, zu seiner Gnade Ruhm,
sein ganz Verdienst mein Eigenthum.

3 Damit will ich vor Gott bestehn,
als auserwählt, gerecht und schön.
So väterlich ist Gott gesinnt;
er küßt mich als sein trautes Kind,
und hat mir alle Seligkeit
zum Erbteil ewiglich bereit't.

4 Wenn ich zum Himmel werd eingehn,
und er mich da wird recht erhöhn,
so will ich mit der Engelschaar
ihn fröhlich loben immerdar.
Indeß sei hier auch lebenslang
ihm Lob und Ehre, Preis und Dank.

No comments: