06 December 2022

Ach Herr, mich armen Sünder

Here is my translation of the Repentance hymn (metrical psalm), “Ach Herr, mich armen Sünder” (Cyriacus Schneegaß, d. 1597), based on Psalm VI, Domine ne in furore, and included in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #364, where it is mistakenly ascribed to Johann Hermann Schein (d. 1630), not an uncommon mistake according to Fischer, since Schein’s name is given, e.g., in Crüger’s Praxis. It first appears in Schneegaß’s Geistliche Lieder und Psalmen (1597) as “a prayer against the deep sufferings of the conscience and anguish of death because of sins, that God would graciously comfort and help. In the tone ‘Ich dank dir lieber Herre.’” Originally five stanzas, the sixth, a doxology, is a later addition. The Wisconsin hymnal appoints the melody “Herzlich thut mich verlangen,” the tune also associated with it otherwise from its use in Bach’s 1724 cantata for Trinity III (BWV 135), where the first stanza is used entire.

 

 

AH, Lord, forbear to chasten
This sinner in Thy wrath;
Thy hot displeasure lessen,
Else I must meet my death!
Have mercy, Lord, and favor,
And gracious be to me,
That I may live forever
And flee hell’s agony.

2 Dear Lord, bestow Thy healing,
For I am weak and sick,
My heart with pain is reeling,
It stings me to the quick,
My bones are vexed within me,
My fear and dread are strong,
My soul’s sore vexed within me,
But Thou, O Lord, how long?

3 Lord, bring Thy consolation,
Deliver Thou my soul,
Oh, save me in compassion,
In mercy make me whole;
In death what tongue rejoices
To name Thy memory?
In hell what gladsome voices
May give their thanks to Thee?

4 With groaning I am wearied,
I have no strength or pow’r,
In sweat my bed is buried
Throughout the nightly hour.
My couch is wet with weeping,
Mine eye with grief is old,
Upon me death is creeping
My woes are manifold.

5 Depart, ye fiends, forever!
The Lord doth help afford!
He is my very Savior,
My weeping voice He heard,
He heard my supplication;
Our common enemy
Shall fly in sore vexation,
And perish shamefully.

6 All glory be in heaven
For all eternity
To God the Father given
With God the Son most high
And God the Holy Spirit,
Whom may we ever bless,
Receiving by His merit
Eternal blessedness!

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Ach Herr! mich armen Sünder
straf nicht in deinem Zorn;
dein ernsten Grimm doch linder,
sonst ists mit mir verlorn.
Ach, Herr! wollst mir vergeben
mein Sünd, und gnädig sein,
daß ich mag ewig leben,
entfliehn der Höllenpein.

2 Heil du mich, lieber Herre,
denn ich bin krank und schwach,
mein herz betrübet sehre,
leidt großes Ungemach,
mein Gbeine sind erschrocken,
mir ist sehr angst und bang,
mein Seel ist auch erschrocken.
Ach, du Herr! wie so lang!

3 Herr, tröst mir mein Gemüthe,
mein Seel rett, lieber Gott,
von wegen deiner Güte,
hilf mir aus aller Noth.
Im Tod ist Alles stille,
da denkt man deiner nicht;
wer will doch in der Hölle
dir danken ewiglich?

4 Ich bin von Seufzen müde,
hab weder Kraft noch Macht,
in großem Schweiß ich liege
durch aus die ganze Nacht,
mein Lager naß von Thränen,
mein Gstalt vor Trauern alt,
zu Tod ich mich fast gräme,
die Angst ist mannigfalt.

5 Weicht all, ihr Uebelthäter,
mir ist geholfen schon!
Der Herr ist mein Erretter,
er nimmt mein Flehen an,
er hört meins Weinens Stimme;
es müssen fallen hin
all sein und meine Feinde,
und schändlich kommen um.

6 Ehr sei ins Himmels Throne
mit hohem Ruhm und Preis,
dem Vater und dem Sohne,
und auch zu gleicher Weis
dem heilgen Geist mit Ehren
in alle Ewigkeit,
der woll uns alln bescheren
die ewge Seligkeit.

No comments: