12 December 2022

Schaff in mir, Gott, ein reines Herz

Here is my translation of the repentance hymn “Schaff in mir Gott ein reines Herz” (Ludämilia Elisabeth Countess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, d. 1672), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #371. An exposition of Ps. 51:10–12 (used as the Offertory in the Common Service), originally in the authoress’s collection, Die Stimme der Freundin . . . (Rudolphstadt, 1687), titled: “Plea for a pure heart and the Holy Spirit.” It should be distinguished from the Offertory set to Luther’s text “Schaffe in mir Gott ein reines Herze,” the hymn “Schaff in mir Gott ein reines Herze / und gib…,” and von Meyer’s hymn “Schaff in mir Gott nur eine reine Seele.” The appointed melody is “Es ist gewisslich an der Zeit.”



CREATE in me a clean heart, God,
My heart can nothing merit;
Corrupt throughout, it fears Thy rod,
For sin which I inherit,
Yea, sins it works so brazenly,
Oh, grant that it again may be
As first by Thee intended.

2 Renew in me a spirit right,
Thy mind therein instilling,
That clings To Thee, its only Light,
And doeth all Thy willing,
And hates the flesh and blood in me,
Shows meekness, faith, and chastity
Hope, love, and humble bearing.

3 Cast me not from Thyself away,
Though I have oft defiled me;
Dear Father, see Thy Son, I pray,
For He hath reconciled me!
Uphold Thy child continually,
Lest I should fall so far and be
Cast out of Thy dear presence.

4 Take not Thy Holy Ghost from me,
But take me from transgression
Chase off the foe, that I may be
Forever Thy possession.
My spirit, mind, and heart compel
By Thy good Spirit, and ’tis well
With me, alive or dying!

5 Restore salvation’s joy to me,
My ills with balm redressing,
And when my soul seeks after Thee,
Then let Thy grace and blessing
And Jesus’ merit there be found—
There life and comforts all abound
Despite sin, death, and devil!

6 Uphold me with Thy Spirit free,
His gladd’ning oil supply me,
That no despair may conquer me
Nor with its yoke destroy me;
Be Thou my Friend, O Lord, alone;
Oh, let me wholly be Thine own,
To bliss eternal bring me.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Schaff in mir, Gott, ein reines Herz:
mein Herz ist ganz verderbet;
es fühlt von Sünden großen Schmerz,
die ihm sind angerbet
und die es noch thut ohne Scheu.
Ach, mache, daß es wieder sei,
wie du es hast erschaffen.

2 Gieb mir auch einen neuen Geist,
der, wie du, sei gesinnet;
der stets dir anhang allermeist,
und, was du willst, beginnet.
Gieb, daß es hasse Fleisch und Blut,
den Glauben üb und sanften Muth,
Zucht, Demuth, Hoffnung, Liebe.

3 Verwirf von deinem Angesicht,
ob ich es gleich verdienet,
mich, allerliebster Vater, nicht,
weil Jesus mich versühnet;
laß nimmer, nimmer, nimmermehr
mich fallen als dein Kind so sehr,
das du es von dir würfest.

4 Dein heilgen Geist nimm nicht von mir;
den bösen Geist vertreibe,
daß ich, als nie entführt von dir,
stets deine sei und bleibe;
beherrsche mein Herz, Sinn und Muth
durch deinen Geist, so ist es gut
im Leben und im Sterben.

5 Mit deiner Hülfe tröste mich,
hilf und vergieb die Sünden:
und sucht dann meine Seele dich,
so laß dich von ihr finden
und dein Verdienst, Herr Jesu Christ,
darinnen Trost und Leben ist,
trotz Sünde, Tod und Teufel.

6 Dein Freudengeist erhalt mich doch
mit seinem Freudenöle
damit nicht der Verzweiflung Joch
verderbe meine Seele.
Sei du mein Freund, o Herr, allein;
ach, laß mich ganz dein eigen sein
und führe mich zur Freude.





No comments: