30 November 2022

Nun bricht die finstre Nacht herein

Here is my translation of the Sunday Evening hymn, “Nun bricht die finstre Nacht herein” (Caspar Neumann, d. 1715), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #345, first appearing in the author’s Vollständige Kirchen- und Haus-Music, 9th ed., from which a couple minor variants are noted in square brackets. While a partial translation by Miss Alice Manington exists, I was inclined to make my own partly because of the anglophilic meter, partly because of unsatisfying quirks in Manington’s translation; however, I include hers below as well. Mostly the original readings are better, except that in stanza 10, for which I preferred the reading from the Wisc. Hymnal. (Breslau, ca. 1699). The appointed melody is “Nun sich der Tag geendet hat”).




NOW gloomy night doth press its way,
The glow of day is dead,
And yet, my heart, to sleep delay,
Speak first to God instead.

2 O God, great Ruler of the world,
Whom none with eyes can see:
From heaven Thou dost me behold;
My sigh let come to Thee!

3 The day, with which I now am through,
Was specially Thine own;
To Thee still be it hallowed too
Till night is fully grown.

4 Too easily I fail in this,
For I am flesh and blood,
And frequently I go amiss,
Although the will be good.

5 Therefore Thy Mercy-seat I seek;
Our debts regard Thou not!    
Remember that Thy Son so meek
My satisfaction wrought.

6 Inscribe upon our hearts each word
Which we have learned today,
And let all those whose ears have heard
Obedient to Thee stay.

7 This too I pray: preserve Thy Word
And keep us in Thy grace,
That as is due, we serve Thee, Lord,
Forever in this place.

8 The meanwhile to my rest I wend;
O Father, lend Thine aid,
Me by Thine angel watch defend
Around my bed arrayed.

9 On all bestow a peaceful night
Who Christlike lived today,
And set the thoughtless man to right
Who strove against Thy way.

10 And if it please Thee, O my God,
Let me awake this morn,
That still my duty on life’s road
May to its end be borne. 

11 And finally, when Thou shalt call,
To heaven bring me in,
There my eternal Sabbath shall
In light divine begin.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

MANINGTON’S TRANSLATION (alt.)

SOON night the world in gloom will steep,
Fast wanes the light of day;
Yet, ah! my heart, thou canst not sleep,
Go first to God and pray.

2 O Lord and God, so high and great,
No man Thy face can see;
’Neath Thy broad tent of grace I wait;
Hear, for I cry to Thee.

3 The day, now numbered with the past,
Hath born Thy holy name,
The truths it told, God–these should last,
Though earthly Sabbaths wane.

4 Perchance this has not been the case,
I am but flesh and blood,
And evil thoughts full of give chase
To what man thinketh good.

5 Now that I seek Thy mighty throne,
Think not upon my sin;
Let Jesus for the debt atone,
All fullness dwells in Him.

6 Write what we’ve learnt within this day
Upon our hearts, and see
That they in faith who’ve listened may
Obedience give to Thee.

8 Now that I lay me down to sleep,
O Father, be Thou near;
Thy angels send, a watch to keep,
And drive away all fear.

11 And lastly, when my time shall come,
Then take me up to Thee;
For in Thy kingdom’s light I shall
Eternal Sabbath see.


GERMAN
Nun bricht die finstre Nacht herein,
des Tages Glanz ist tod;
jedoch, mein Herz, schlaf noch nicht ein,
geh, rede vor mit Gott.

2 O Gott, du großer Herr der Welt,
den Niemand sehen kann!
du siehst ja mich in deinem Zelt,
hör auch mein Seufzen an.

3 Der Tag, den ich nunmehr vollbracht,
der war besonders dein;
drum hätt er auch bis in die Nacht
dir sollen heilig sein.

4 Vielleicht ist dieses nicht geschehn;
denn ich bin Fleisch und Blut,
und pfleg es öfters zu versehn,
wenn gleich der Wille gut.

5 Nun such ich deinen Gnadenthron,
sieh meine Schuld nicht an, [sieh unsre…]
und denke, daß dein lieber Sohn
für mich genug gethan.

6 Schreib alles, was man heut gelehrt,
in unsre Herzen ein,
und lasse die, so es gehört,
dir auch gehorsam sein.

7 Erhalte ferner noch dein Wort,
und thu uns immer wohl,
damit man stets an diesem Ort
Gott diene, wie man soll.

8 Indessen such ich meine Ruh;
o Vater, steh mir bei […uns bei,]
und gieb mir deinen Engel zu,
daß er mein Wächter sei.

9 Gieb allen eine gute Nacht,
die christlich heut gelebt, [die heute recht…]
und bessre den, der unbedacht
hat wider dich gestrebt.

10 Wofern es dir, mein Gott gefällt, [Wofern dir auch mein Thun…]
so hilf mir morgen auf,
daß ich noch ferner in der Welt
vollbringe meinen Lauf.

11 Und endlich führe, wenn es Zeit,
mich in den Himmel ein;
da wird in deiner Herrlichkeit
mein Sabbath ewig sein.


No comments: