01 November 2022

Theures Wort aus Gottes Munde

Here is my supplemental translation (sts. 5, 7) and revision of Alice Manington’s 1863 translation of the hymn “Theures Wort aus Gottes Munde” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1734), a hymn on God’s Word (the second so far by Schmolck) in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #279. As usual, since a partial translation already exists, I have translated the missing stanzas and altered lines 1 and 3 in each of Manington’s stanzas to conform them to the rhyme scheme (they were unrhymed, as seen in the appended image); I also offer an alternate to stanza 4. Fischer finds the hymn in the author’s Schöne Kleider vor einen betrübten Geist . . . (Breslau/Liegnitz, 1723) but notes that ‘J. P. Lange . . . finds the hymn unsatisfactory.’” The appointed melody is “Gott des Himmels und der Erden.”


PRECIOUS Word which God hath spoken,
Bringing blessings unto me,
Only ground and surest token
Where my blessedness I see:
Yes, alone in thee I trace
All that leads to heav’nly grace.

2 When a longing fills my spirit
For a taste of heav’nly bread,
So canst thou allay and cheer it,
For thou art a table spread:
Manna hast in store for me,
Living streamlets flow from thee.

3 Paradise from my Creator,
Wrap me up in faith divine;
Daily make my wisdom greater,
That thy beams of grace may shine
In my soul, and cause to grow
Living fruits of grace below.

4 Gracious Spirit, I am driven [
Spirit with Thy graces seven,]
By Thy Word for God to yearn; [
In God’s Word Thou show’st His heart;]
Open Thou the gates of heaven,
That my spirit here may learn [
To my spirit pow’r impart]
Of those gifts the true extent, [
To consider what rich prize]
God hath in His Gospel sent.
[God’s Hand in His Word supplies.]

 5 In these blessed confines let me
Know no vain and futile care;
Close me and my thoughts and set me
In a quiet habit e’er,
Lest the world my heart disturb
When I hear Thy speech superb.

6 Give the seed its acre needful,
That the fruit may know no blight,
Make my spirit's eye more heedful;
What Thy finger here doth write,
Print it on my heart, I pray;
Drive each careless doubt away.

7 Let me mark what I am reading,
What Thou sayest, let me do.
Stronger faith in me thus breeding,
Yet let not Thy work be through;
Rather also grant to me
That I live accordingly.

8 Help, that all my conversation
By this guideline may be planned;
What I build on this foundation
Like a rock shall firmly stand;
That my soul hath help indeed,
In its hours of greatest need.

9 Let Thy Word be as my mirror
As I Jesus’ steps pursue,
Sealed with grace, lest I a hearer
Faithless, fail Thy Word to do;
Lock it in, let faith be bright,
Till I come to cloudless sight.

Translation sts. 1–4, 6, 8–9 A. Manington, 1863, alt.
Alterations © 2022 Matthew Carver.
Translation sts 5, 7 © 2022 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

Theures Wort aus Gottes Munde,
das mir lauter Segen trägt:
dich allein hab ich zum Grunde
meiner Seligkeit gelegt.
In dir treff ich Alles an,
was zu Gott mich führen kann.

2 Will ich einen Vorschmack haben,
welcher nach dem Himmel schmeckt,
so kannst du mich herrlich laben,
weil bei dir ein Tisch gedeckt,
der mir lauter Manna schenkt
und mit Lebenswasser tränkt.

3 Du mein Paradies auf Erden,
schließ mich stets im Glauben ein;
laß mich täglich kluger werden,
daß dein heller Gnadenschein
mir bis in die Seele dringt
und die Frucht des Lebens bringt.

4 Geist der Gnaden, der im Worte
mich an Gottes Herze legt,
öffne mir des Himmels Pforte,
daß mein Geist hier recht erwägt,
was für Schätze Gottes Hand
durch sein Wort ihm zugesandt.

5 Lasse mich in diesen Schranken
ohne eitle Sorgen sein.
Schließe mich mit den Gedanken
in ein stilles Wesen ein,
daß die Welt mich gar nicht stört,
wenn mein Herz dich reden hört.

6 Gieb dem Saamen einen Acker,
der die Frucht nicht schuldig bleibt.
Mache mir die Augen wacker;
und was hier dein Finger schreibt,
präge meinem Herzen ein,
laß den Zweifel ferne sein.

7 Was ich lese, laß mich merken;
was du sagest, das laß mich thun.
Wird dein Wort den Glauben stärken,
laß es nicht dabei beruhn;
sondern gieb, daß auch dabei
ihm das Leben ähnlich sei.

8 Hilf, daß alle meine Wege
nur nach dieser Richtschnur gehn.
Was ich hier zum Grunde lege,
müsse wie ein Felsen stehn,
daß mein Geist auch Rath und That
in den größten Nöthen hat.

9 Laß dein Wort mir einen Spiegel
in der Folge Jesu sein.
Drücke drauf ein Gnadensiegel,
schließ den Schatz in Herzen ein,
daß ich fest im Glauben steh,
bis ich dort zum Schauen geh.




No comments: