17 November 2022

Mein Gott, ich klopf an deine Pforte

 Here is my translation of the prayer hymn “Mein Gott, ich klopf an deine Pforte” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #310, as a translation of which text John Julian mistakenly designates Rev. Reid’s “My God! the source of all my blessing” though by Julian’s own admission, confusingly, it is the translation of another Schmolck hymn, “Mein Gott mein Alles über alles” (alt. “Mein Gott, mein Erstes und mein Alles”). According to Fischer, our present, evidently never before translated, hymn first appears in the author’s Heilige Flammen (1704). The appointed melody is “Wer weiß wie nahe mir mein Ende.”

 

  

MY God, I knock upon Thy portal
With supplication, sigh, and plea,
Adhering to Thy word immortal:
“Knock and ’twill opened be to thee.”
The door of grace then open wide;
My Jesus knocketh at my side.

2 Who may possess a thing whatever
And hath it not from Thee, the Source?
Thou art of all good gifts the Giver,
Thine ever is the wisest course,
Thou art the Fount that never fails,
Thou art the Good that e’er avails.

3 Therefore I come and would implore Thee,
With pray’r of faith and heart sincere,
For He who bade me come before Thee,
Is Jesus Christ, my Savior dear,
And He who Abba cries in me—
He is Thy Spirit bold and free.

4 Give, Father, as Thy will ordaineth,
All things whereof thy child hath need.
Thou canst provide whate’er remaineth;
From Thee all blessings e’er proceed,
Yet most of all give that to me
Which for my soul shall blessed be.

5 Bestow on me a faith unshaken,
And stoke the flame of charity;
Should this the devil’s rage awaken,
Then let temptation mod’rate be,
So that my feeble flesh and blood
May shun whate’er the foe thinks good.

6 My conscience purify and freshen,
The world and foe more bold to face;
Let me repent of my transgression
While yet abides this time of grace;
Blot out all debts with Jesus’ blood
And turn the evil back to good.

7 From every cross and tribulation
I ask Thee not to shelter me;
For Jesus suffered in His Passion,
’Tis just that suff’ring come to me.
Yet patience will I need, O Lord,
Which graciously to me afford!

8 All else shall be provided ever,
In wealth or poverty, with Thee.
I rest serenely in Thy favor;
Good times and ill are one to me,
And if abundance be not lent,
With little I will be content.

9 For length of days I’ll not implore Thee,
But that I walk the Christian way.
Mortality hold e’er before me;
Keep in my mind my dying day,
That my release from earth’s domain
A heav’nly entrance may contain.

10 Why ask for more to be supplied me?
My needs are in Thy knowing care,
With everything Thou wilt provide me,
For Jesus makes the ending fair;
Hence in His name I’ll cry to heav’n,
And it shall be Yea and Amen.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Mein Gott, ich klopf an deine Pforte
mit Seufzen, Flehn und Bitten an.
Ich halte mich an deine Worte:
Klopft an, so wird euch aufgethan.
Ach öffne mir die Gnadenthür,
mein Jesus klopfet selbst mit mir.

2 Wer kann was von sich selber haben,
das nicht von dir den Ursprung hat?
Du bist der Geber aller Gaben,
bei dir ist immer Rath und That.
Du bist der Brunn, der immer quillt;
du bist das Gut, das immer gilt.

3 Drum komm ich auch mit meinem Beten,
das voller Herz und Glauben ist;
der mich vor dich hat heißen treten,
ist mein Erlöser Jesus Christ;
und der in mir das Abba! schreit,
ist ja dein Geist der Freudigkeit.

4 Gieb, Vater, gieb nach deinem Willen,
was ich, dein Kind, bedürftig bin;
du kannst mir meinen Hunger stillen,
in dir muß aller Segen blühn;
doch gieb, du Geber, allermeist,
was meiner Seelen selig heißt.

5 Verleih Beständigkeit im Glauben,
laß meine Liebe brünstig sein;
und will der Satan drüber schnauben,
so halte der Versuchung ein;
damit mein armes Fleisch und Blut
dem Feinde nichts zu Willen thut.

6 Erweck in mir ein gut Gewissen,
das weder Welt noch Teufel scheut,
und laß mich meine Sünde büßen
noch hier in dieser Gnadenzeit;
durchstreich die Schuld mit Jesu Blut,
und mach das Böse wieder gut.

7 Ums Kreuze darf ich wohl nicht bitten,
daß es mich gar verschonen soll;
hat doch mein Jesus auch gelitten,
und also leid ich billig wohl.
Doch wird Geduld mir nöthig sein,
die wollest du mir, Herr, verleihn!

8 Das andre wird sich Alles fügen;
Ich sei bei dir arm oder reich;
an deiner Huld laß ich mir gnügen,
die macht mir Glück und Unglück gleich;
und kommt mir's nicht mit Fülle ein,
laß mir's genug mit Wenig sein.

9 Ich bitte nicht um langes Leben,
nur daß ich christlich leben mag;
laß mir den Tod vor Augen schweben,
und meinen letzten Sterbetag,
damit mein Ausgang aus der Welt
den Eingang in den Himmel hält.

10 Wiewohl, was will ich mehr begehren?
Du weißt schon, was ich haben muß.
Du wirst auch Alles mir gewähren,
denn Jesus macht den süßen Schluß;
ich soll in seinem Namen schrein,
so werd es Ja und Amen sein.



No comments: