02 November 2022

Laß mich, o treuer Gott

Here is my translation of the hymn on God’s Word, “Laß mich, o treuer Gott” (Johann Olearius, d. 1684), as found in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #280, where the appointed melody is “Nun danket alle Gott.” Fischer finds it first in the author’s Geistliche Singe-kunst (Leipzig, 1671) for Pentecost Day, titled: “Encouragement from the Gospel Text for the Feast. D. J. O.” There the melody is “O Gott, du frommer Gott.”




LET me, O faithful God,
Remain Thy sheep forever,
And from Thy faithful flock
Be chased or driven never;
Give me the Word of life
From early hour to late,
That quickeneth my soul
And leads to heaven’s gate.

2 Grant also that my mind
And sense may never waver;
Keep me within the bounds
Of Thy true Word, dear Savior;
In time of cross and death,
Lend me true constancy,
That I may praise Thy name
For all eternity.

Tranlsation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Laß mich, o treuer Gott!
dein liebes Schäflein bleiben,
laß mich von deiner Heerd
ja nimmermehr vertreiben;
gieb mir zu allerZeit
das werthe Lebenswort,
das meine Seel erquickt
und bringt zur Himmels-Pfort.

2 Gieb, daß auch mein Verstand
und Sinn nicht möge wanken,
erhalte mich allein
in deines Wortes Schranken,
verleihe mir im Kreuz
und Tod Beständigkeit,
daß ich dich loben mög
in alle Ewigkeit.


2 comments:

Amberg said...

This is a beautiful little prayer!

Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes) said...

Agreed! Glad you liked it.